• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Pokemon Cards the new collectible like comics?
3 3

119 posts in this topic

On 10/25/2020 at 12:28 AM, Mephisto said:

Break out and grade that 90’s drek!

C5FCFB31-A7DD-4399-A0D0-143E7E420D49.jpeg

Huh, who knew? I had that 92 Venom vs Spidey chase card. That xmas I got a sealed box of those cards, and I spent a fun chunk of the morning opening up the packs. This was the only chase card I got out of the box. I held onto it for a few years, but I'm sure I sold it for next to nothing eventually, as I no longer have any of those cards. 

On 10/28/2020 at 3:40 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

Yup. Not just non-sports cards. Panini is doing it https://www.paniniamerica.net/blockchain.html 

Topps has some digital trading apps, including one for Marvel. It's not blockchain, but you can buy and sell. Not as clean and safe as blockchain, but there's value.

On 10/20/2020 at 10:58 AM, Bronty said:

Yeah.   In order to say no to 40x, you have to have been willing to say no to 10x.    Then 15x.    Then 20x.   Then 30x.    etc... all the way up and down the timeline.       Anybody looking to just make a few bucks cashes in at 10x or, to be frank, more like 2x.   "Hey, I doubled my money!"   They never get to a position where they can say no to 40x.

I've cashed in a few things for lifestyle improvements, but it just makes getting anything else out of me harder going forward.     I still have daily WTF price shock moments though.    I was offered 15K today for something I mentally valued at 4k today, maybe 2k two years ago, that I paid $100 or less ($75?) for ten years ago.   I'm sure I was low on my mental valuation, but again, when you pay something like $75 and you haven't dragged it of of a box in five years, its easy for that to happen.     Aaaand I'm going to say no to the offer.

Truer words have never been spoken. When Facebook IPO'd I was forensically watching order flow for days. Morgan Stanley and other underwriters tried their best to support the bid. No chance. Stock price just melted away. Eventually a couple months after the debut, volume started drying up and technicals turned really bullish. I vividly remember calling my cousin, today is the day. We both got in at $18s. I could barely hold on to the position in excitement a few months down the road selling just under $30 thinking I was a rockstar. My cousin; well he placed his shares in a drawer forgetting about them and still has all his shares present day. Sometime the best investment you make is with complete detachment and utterly forgetting about it. 

On 10/20/2020 at 11:02 AM, FlyingDonut said:

I did - based on what my son wanted I bought some stuff which has now blown up. I realize of course that my accuracy in forecasting things that are blowing up right now - Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Gundam Wing - is a direct result of having 12 year old son in 2007, so that helped. I have a bunch of unopened boxes that have just gathered dust for years.

Dark Magician  girl mfc 9.0 1st edition  are now selling over 3k!  .... starting to skyrocket even higher...  i remember when it was 900.