• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's New In Your Copper Age Collection This Week?
13 13

718 posts in this topic

On 4/9/2022 at 4:35 PM, Toz said:

This is a great little set to chase.Got some classics in there most people forgot about.Elric features some sweet P. Craig Russell art * their horror finally getting some love.

I love the Elric series. Got a very nice #1 a few weeks back. Twisted Tales & Alien Worlds were my favorites when I was a kid. Still on the lookout for a VF/NM copy of Vanguard Illustrated #7. Very tough with that black cover.

Don't forget some of the stuff they were going to do when the bottom fell out went to Eclipse and I included in my set.Somerset Holmes & Groo are 2 examples.

Got all of the PC Somerset Holmes, but none of the Eclipse, yet. Groo is not easy to find in the UK, for some reason. I tend to grab whatever I see regardless of which series it's from.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Will do. (thumbsu

On 4/11/2022 at 8:37 AM, APDallas said:

IMG_20220411_0003.jpg.89bdda5a79546097da7344351b44056f.jpg

That Adventures of Kool-Aid Man is weird stuff even for promotional comics, by the way. It started at Marvel, amazingly, for the first three "issues", then got picked up by Archie for issues 4-9. Most of the issues were freebie and/or mail-away promos, plus some newspaper-partnership giveaways. However, Archie actually sold some copies of (at least) 4 and 5, bizarrely enough.

All in all, the series has a bewildering number of variants for this sort of thing. There are at least 3 versions apiece of #2, 4, 5, and 6. Somewhere around here I have a list of the ones I know to exist. I spent awhile trying to determine if there was a for-sale variant of #6 also, but never found one.

On 5/2/2022 at 1:15 PM, Qalyar said:

That Adventures of Kool-Aid Man is weird stuff even for promotional comics, by the way. It started at Marvel, amazingly, for the first three "issues", then got picked up by Archie for issues 4-9. Most of the issues were freebie and/or mail-away promos, plus some newspaper-partnership giveaways. However, Archie actually sold some copies of (at least) 4 and 5, bizarrely enough.

All in all, the series has a bewildering number of variants for this sort of thing. There are at least 3 versions apiece of #2, 4, 5, and 6. Somewhere around here I have a list of the ones I know to exist. I spent awhile trying to determine if there was a for-sale variant of #6 also, but never found one.

So, actually picked up a couple of these to go with ones I already had. Let's take a peek into (some of) the weird world of Kool-Aid Man comics. OH YEAH!

The first three issues were published by Marvel, mostly for use as mail-away promotionals from General Foods. None were ever directly available for retail purchase. #1 has 100% the best cover of the entire series, with Kool-Aid Man OH YEAH!ing through the hull of a spaceship. Insert memes here. The normal printings of these books are not hard to find, although as you might expect, kid-targeted mail away advertising ephemera is, shall we say, challenging in high grade. There were also a couple of unique versions given away in newspaper advertising supplements. The Dallas Times Herald and Denver Post got printings of #2; Houston Chronicle had a #3. All of them can be identified by text above the Marvel Comics Group banner indicating which paper distributed them (and a blank price bubble). They're more elusive. Are there other newspaper editions? Not that I've ever seen, but that doesn't mean they don't exist! It is known that the San Antonio Express-News did at least some partnership books with Marvel, so that would be one of the first places I'd look. I think one of the Austin papers did as well. Around the same time as the Kool-Aid books, Marvel also published a similar The Adventures of Quik Bunny; that ended up a one-shot with no known variants, so it's not nearly as much fun.

image.png.be8dbb54852c70ed5f323ec8f494a279.pngimage.png.47fbc4730179ac7f5490110bcf7b6cf6.png

After that, Marvel dropped their partnership with General Foods, and the series moved to Archie Comics. And that's where it got weird. For starters, although they changed the entire plotline (such as it is), they kept the numbering from the Marvel books; evidently someone thought kids would want to be full-run collectors. There are three versions of #4. The "normal" one was a mail-order promotional, and has a cover price of "A 75c value". There was also a version with no cover price but a banner announcing it was FREE (with purchase of enough Kool-Aid products for the redemption offer). It's not real clear what the difference in distribution methods were here, since both were apparently obtained as mail-aways. I swear that I own both of these, but they don't seem to have been filed correctly, so... yeah. However, the third variant is the really unexpected one:

image.png.f6c7672e671f03c53ff3b9190e8ead78.png

Yeah, that's a barcode and an actual cover price, not the silly "value" business. Archie apparently felt strongly enough about Kool-Aid Man that they actually made copies available for retail sale. Why? Why? The world will likely never know. As a final note, #4 has a pull-out Kool-Aid poster stapled into the centerfold on all three versions, although -- as you might expect -- a lot of otherwise-attractive copies are missing the poster. It's the Tattooz of the Kool-Aid Man collection. Moving on.

image.png.662ea7fc409dfd5f462705b533d308fe.pngimage.png.16586f0757aba161f0cbc8ed398740e8.pngimage.png.a21a62a1abc01a4b3edc0143828de130.png

For #5, we have three variants again. The "75c value" cover is the normal mail-away. Meanwhile, the "50c value" book (with no issue number on cover, oddly enough) was apparently given away as a freebie (rather than a mail-away or redemption), and is super cheap. The normal issue has two stories; the "50c value" version has a third as many pages, with only one story and essentially none of the activity extras. Also, it's printed on the flimsiest newsprint stock Archie could find, including the cover. And then we have... wait, really? OH YEAH! Archie apparently sold enough copies of #4 that they made a retail version of #5 as well! I've never been able to identify the logo on the cover at upper-left, which might tell us more about how this was distributed and why anyone would bother.

image.png.b420da16b9d6a1e0be1399b0a83b5625.png

For #6, once again, there are three. This time, there's a "50c value" ultra-cheapo newsprint book (and unlike with #5, this one is also tiny). the "75c value" normal mail-away, and... a "Dollar value" edition. The first two are pretty common books, but I actually have a dollar value copy arriving later this week. Hopefully, I'll be able to figure out what made it different. I've never seen a retail copy of #6 (that is, with a barcode and a real cover price), and no such book is listed by the GCD, MCS, or even Mile High. However, I wouldn't be surprised if a very small number were produced. Someday, maybe we'll see.

image.png.f556174483e638959b722890a9f40a2b.pngimage.png.b245aeddb586625a2bc7ad2cbdb42929.pngimage.png.e4c0f3a4f5d89e15587b1a97b876a6fc.png

A lot of indexes claim the series ended there. A few manage to mention #7 -- I think probably because its cover, with Kool-Aid Man riding a pink, sunglasses-wearing shark is so bizarre. But, in fact, Archie ran this series all the way to #9. It's pretty clear, though, that interest was waning. As far as anyone has ever seen, there's only one version of each of the final three books. They're all cheapo newsprint with cheapo newsprint covers and the extra-short length, despite a cover still claiming "a 75c value". Not even Kool-Aid Man could escape the rising costs of publication, I guess, and the whole "mail-away redemption" industry was dying as the calendar ticked its way into the '90s. In any case, here's #8, which was issued after a couple of year delay following #7. I don't own #9 at all, and wouldn't mind picking up a sound, presentable (or better!) copy.

image.png.39d2f8a5ad0455f064ad8adc97a53274.png

As a closing note, the legendary Archie artist Dan DeCarlo did most of the artwork for the entire series, including the Marvel issues (although there's some debate about who did the Marvel-era covers), and his son Jim was the series' consistent inker.

Edited by Qalyar
adding #6 50c value