• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's New In Your Copper Age Collection This Week?
13 13

722 posts in this topic

On 6/7/2023 at 2:15 PM, Parabellum said:

This is actually a bit of a story.  So when initially saw the book for sale I messaged the seller and asked if they would go $1500.  By the time he changed the price and I jumped on to buy it (maybe 30 seconds) it sold.  I was not happy.  That night I messaged the seller and he told me that the owner misunderstood the offer and thought it was for another book and had the money refunded.  I waited for the book to pop back up and it didn’t (over a period of two weeks).  I messaged the seller and asked if he could pass my contact info to the owner and he did.  We did a private sale through PayPal, I paid $2500.  

I honestly think it’s a fair price considering there are only two recorded 9.8 CPV’s on the census with no Yellow labels.  The fact that it is a CPV has clearly been over looked and it doesn’t reflect on the census.  But I’m willing to guess that it might one of a small few if not the only 9.8 CPV in SS.

Thats still a bargain price, well done for getting the deal across the line.

Did he know the book he was selling was a CPV copy?

I saw a straight newsstand 9.8 sold for $1,700 in the same period.   The CPV copy is a tiny percentage again of those copies.  

Edited by Microchip

On 6/7/2023 at 12:52 AM, Microchip said:

Thats still a bargain price, well done for getting the deal across the line.

Did he know the book he was selling was a CPV copy?

I saw a straight newsstand 9.8 sold for $1,700 in the same period.   The CPV copy is a tiny percentage again of those copies.  

I don’t know and I didn’t offer that info.  It’s possible that they did and that’s why they refunded the initial $1500 purchase.  I did pay almost twice the FMV than standard newsstand copies.  I don’t feel I ripped them off but someone else might think other wise.

Still I’m very happy I was able to acquire the book.  I only need a 9.8 CPV copy of #3 and the run will be complete.  As of now there is only one on the census but I’m sure there is a graded copy out there not labeled correctly.

On 6/17/2023 at 11:58 PM, ymisbatg said:

My first CGC graded comic from my collection.  I was a little scared sending it off, hoping that it would arrive undamaged, but it came back looking fabulous!  Thanks CGC!  

1 front.jpg

Welcome to the boards, a quality addition, and good to here that cgc did well. :)

On 6/7/2023 at 9:19 AM, Parabellum said:

I don’t know and I didn’t offer that info.  It’s possible that they did and that’s why they refunded the initial $1500 purchase.  I did pay almost twice the FMV than standard newsstand copies.  I don’t feel I ripped them off but someone else might think other wise.

Still I’m very happy I was able to acquire the book.  I only need a 9.8 CPV copy of #3 and the run will be complete.  As of now there is only one on the census but I’m sure there is a graded copy out there not labeled correctly.

Not referring to Punisher 3, it's my guess-timate that more CPV's sit in holders that neglect to note they are than those that have the correct CPV/Canadian designation.   The census is inaccurate as whole on them so perhaps there are more  CPV #'3s out there?

On 6/23/2023 at 11:35 PM, MAR1979 said:

Not referring to Punisher 3, it's my guess-timate that more CPV's sit in holders that neglect to note they are than those that have the correct CPV/Canadian designation.   The census is inaccurate as whole on them so perhaps there are more  CPV #'3s out there?

They're getting picked up more now that newsstand issues is it's own big thing.   Maybe 1 in 10, 1 in 5 issues missed the designation of CPV.  Probably a lot more from early days.   But 'a lot more' in CPV terms is a drop in the bucket next to the census for regular issues.

On 6/25/2023 at 11:52 PM, Microchip said:

They're getting picked up more now that newsstand issues is it's own big thing.   Maybe 1 in 10, 1 in 5 issues missed the designation of CPV.  Probably a lot more from early days. 

and every one I've self-submitted :(

On 6/27/2023 at 12:52 AM, MAR1979 said:
On 6/26/2023 at 1:52 PM, Microchip said:

They're getting picked up more now that newsstand issues is it's own big thing.   Maybe 1 in 10, 1 in 5 issues missed the designation of CPV.  Probably a lot more from early days. 

and every one I've self-submitted :(

What are the details?

Recent, old?

CPV's, or newsstands?

Number of books?  

Resubbed for ME correction?

On 6/27/2023 at 8:50 AM, Microchip said:

What are the details?

Recent, old?

CPV's, or newsstands?

Number of books?  

Resubbed for ME correction?

2019 and 2020

CPV's

None, did not want to take a chance of CGC mishandling them which IMHO is always highly plausible

All my paperwork was filled out correctly! The saddest one is Daring New Adventures of Supergirl #1 as it states Canadian on the cover itself.

Daring-Supergirl_1_Canadian_Newsstand.thumb.jpg.a9f80352ba69dec87cb3faefe0671b3a.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/28/2023 at 12:33 AM, MAR1979 said:

2019 and 2020

CPV's

None, did not want to take a chance of CGC mishandling them which IMHO is always highly plausible

All my paperwork was filled out correctly! The saddest one is Daring New Adventures of Supergirl #1 as it states Canadian on the cover itself.

Daring-Supergirl_1_Canadian_Newsstand.thumb.jpg.a9f80352ba69dec87cb3faefe0671b3a.jpg

Yeah, there's not much to excuse those kind of errors.

I'd agree with the trust factor moving forward.   Have you highlighted things on the QC thread?