• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage pulp auctions
8 8

233 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2023 at 7:31 PM, Jayman said:

Very nice brochure in the mail today! (thumbsu

5582906D-356E-4373-87DA-472CE31305D2.jpeg

I did not realize until now that this is merely the first of 10 auctions.  That would make this the finest pulp group to be publicly auctioned since the Frank Robinson collection a decade ago.  However it also raises a question.  Since this will obviously take over a year to bring all of these to sale, why was it decided not to wait a little longer and have them CGC-graded?  Since it could be years for some of these issues to surface again, it would have seemed the perfect collection to officially introduce the coming pulp slabs.  Just curious...

On 1/13/2023 at 9:06 AM, Bookery said:

I did not realize until now that this is merely the first of 10 auctions.  That would make this the finest pulp group to be publicly auctioned since the Frank Robinson collection a decade ago.  However it also raises a question.  Since this will obviously take over a year to bring all of these to sale, why was it decided not to wait a little longer and have them CGC-graded?  Since it could be years for some of these issues to surface again, it would have seemed the perfect collection to officially introduce the coming pulp slabs.  Just curious...

I've heard they're not going ahead with grading pulps.

On 1/20/2023 at 1:03 PM, comicnoir said:

Overhang presents too many problems.

That was the reason that was always cited for not slabbing pulps, so I had thought they had finally figured out some way to deal with it when they started talking about finally going forward with slabbing them.  So what made them realize it was an insurmountable problem after all?

On 1/19/2023 at 1:04 PM, comicnoir said:

I've heard they're not going ahead with grading pulps.

Any chance you'd be willing to share who you heard that from? :gossip:

If you go over to the "welcome CGC to Pulps" thread, we've had a few "will they/won't they" threads but CGC has always held firm that it's happening. Now when it will actually happen..... That's not a bet I'd make :grin:.

On 1/20/2023 at 6:44 AM, tth2 said:

That was the reason that was always cited for not slabbing pulps, so I had thought they had finally figured out some way to deal with it when they started talking about finally going forward with slabbing them.  So what made them realize it was an insurmountable problem after all?

Beyond the logistics of it, it doesn't make financial sense.  There aren't a whole lot of pulps out there, and even fewer people who want them slabbed.  CGC's cash cow is moderns, of which there is an ongoing supply being created.  There aren't new pulps being made, so you'll certify some up front, and then it will slow to a trickle.  So you're going to develop new equipment and train/hire new staff all for this?  Doesn't seem like a wise business move. 

On 1/20/2023 at 6:36 AM, asimovpulps said:

If you go over to the "welcome CGC to Pulps" thread, we've had a few "will they/won't they" threads but CGC has always held firm that it's happening.

On 1/20/2023 at 9:21 AM, mnelsonCGC said:

Cgc is 100% moving forward with grading pulps.

Guess we can add this to the long list of rumors refuted. Thanks @mnelsonCGC!

On 1/20/2023 at 12:21 PM, mnelsonCGC said:

Cgc is 100% moving forward with grading pulps.

From the perspective of the long time pulp collector, I get it: less speculation, 'small' pool of hard-core knowledgeable competition, you buy for the stories as well as other factors.

As a Johnny come lately (who has always admired the covers) and who buys these strictly for the covers, I am happy to hear this as I would love to have my small collection of pulps in slabs. The covers alone could drive the market for these (I'm comparing with golden age only, not silver,  bronze or modern). Some of these have covers that make CSS22 and Fight Againt Crime 20 look milder by comparison. 

Those long time esteemed pulp guys can (and I assume will) keep their pulps raw. And I can appreciate that. Many like handling the books. For me even pulps that I bought in higher grade are fragile to me. So I welcome slabbing for mine.  I'd take my chances handling a raw mile high before a high grade pulp to read. Those who can do it, it's an art form, even with the best of tips, I find my hands shaking trying to thumb through them carefully (:

On 1/21/2023 at 1:09 AM, buttock said:
On 1/20/2023 at 9:44 PM, tth2 said:

Beyond the logistics of it, it doesn't make financial sense.  There aren't a whole lot of pulps out there, and even fewer people who want them slabbed.  CGC's cash cow is moderns, of which there is an ongoing supply being created.  There aren't new pulps being made, so you'll certify some up front, and then it will slow to a trickle.  So you're going to develop new equipment and train/hire new staff all for this?  Doesn't seem like a wise business move. 

Matt says:

How Do You Like Them Apples GIFs | Tenor

On 1/27/2023 at 11:09 PM, Bookery said:

Based on the first round of this series of auctions, it appears prices have edged up a tad above published guide values...

From the few that I was tracking:

Cupid's Capers 3/34 FN/VF $4,680 ... Bookery VF = $300

Romantic Detective 8/38 FN/VF $1,320 ... Bookery VF = $225

Spicy Western 11/36 VF $5,640 ... Bookery VF = $600

So I'd say yeah, just a tad!

On 1/27/2023 at 7:09 AM, Bookery said:

Based on the first round of this series of auctions, it appears prices have edged up a tad above published guide values...

I think most of us have the eratta you issued... add a zero to the end of every price.