• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WILLOW series (2022)

48 posts in this topic

The Willow television adaptation has been handed a series order at Disney+.

Crazy Rich Asians director Jon M. Chu will direct the pilot for the series, which is slated to begin production next year.

This comes 18 months after news of the development of the adaptation of the movie, directed by Ron Howard from a story by George Lucas, first emerged.

The fantasy film starred Warwick Davis as a reluctant farmer who plays a critical role in protecting a special baby from a tyrannical queen who vows to destroy her and take over the world. Val Kilmer, Joanne Whalley, Jean Marsh, and Billy Barty also starred.

Chu will also serve as executive producer along with showrunners Jonathan Kasdan (Solo) and Wendy Mericle (Arrow). Jonathan Kasdan wrote the pilot. Ron Howard, also returns as executive producer on the series with Bob Dolman, writer of the original film, serving as consulting producer. Kathleen Kennedy, Michelle Rejwan, Jonathan Kasdan, Wendy Mericle will also serve as executive producers, with Roopesh Parekh and Hannah Friedman as co-executive producers with Julia Cooperman as producer.

Edited by Bosco685

Willow, an original series produced by Lucasfilm, is set to release on Disney+ in 2022. The series is based on the 1988 fantasy film of the same name, which tells the story of a young farmer named Willow who journeys to protect an orphaned baby from an evil queen. Warwick Davis stars as Willow, and he’s joined by Val Kilmer, Joanne Whalley, Jean Marsh, and Billy Barty. 

The original film was directed by Ron Howard, who’s well known for helming classics like A Beautiful Mind and Apollo 13. Howard more recently teamed up with Lucasfilm to direct Solo: A Star Wars Story. The director expressed interest in a Willow reboot or sequel back in 2018, but when news of the Willow sequel first hit, it was unclear whether he would be involved. It was previously announced that Warwick Davis will be reprising the titular role, which became one of his most iconic characters alongside Professor Flitwick in the Harry Potter film series. He will also be joined by Ellie Bamber, Cailee Spaeny, and Solo: A Star Wars Story standout Erin Kellyman.

During Disney's Investors Day, it was account announced that the Willow series will be available to stream on Disney+ in 2022. Jon M. Chu, who most recently directed Crazy Rich Asians, is set to direct the pilot and Howard will be joining the project as executive producer.

Just several weeks after Jon M. Chu had to step down as the director of Lucasfilm's WILLOW TV series for Disney+, THR has reported that the project has a new director in Jonathan Entwistle, best known for Netflix's The End of the F***ing World and I Am Not Okay With This.

"With its epic world of swords, sorcery and adventure, Willow captivated and influenced so many," said Jonathan Entwistle in a statement. "I’m excited to be going on this journey and working with Jon and Wendy to create something that is both deeply rooted in that original film and also a fresh, funny and charming addition to the beloved story. To be able to play within the world so painstakingly crafted by Ron back in '88 is a dream come true for me." In addition to directing the pilot, Entwistle will also join the series as an executive producer alongside co-showrunners Jonathan Kasdan and Wendy Mericle.

The original film starred Warwick Davis as a young farmer who stumbled across Elora Danan, an infant who was prophesied to bring about the downfall of the evil Queen Bavmorda. Teaming up with the mercenary swordsman Madmartigan (Val Kilmer), Willow attempted to keep Elora from the clutches of Bavmorda's legions. The Willow series will take place years after the events of the film, and although nothing official has been released, it's said that the series will revolve around a group on a mission to save a kidnapped prince. The project currently stars Ellie Bamber, Cailee Spaeny, Erin Kellyman, and Warwick Davis, and it was revealed earlier this week that Spider-Man's Tony Revolori is currently in talks to join the cast as well. Production on Willow is expected to kick off this spring in Wales.

Dempsey Bryk (The Birch) has been added to the cast of Willow, Disney+ and Lucasfilm’s upcoming TV series follow-up to the 1988 fantasy movie. Bryk’s casting was revealed Friday as part of Disney+ Day, the second anniversary of the streaming platform.

The film’s star Warwick Davis reprises his title role in the series, which is slated to premiere in 2022 on Disney+. Bryk joins fellow new lead cast members Ellie Bamber, Ruby Cruz, Erin Kellyman, Tony Revolori and Amer Chadha-Patel. Davis introduced Bamber, Cruz, Kellyman, Revolori and Chadha-Patel in a video from the set. 

On 10/30/2022 at 8:55 PM, Xenosmilus said:

It can only get better LOL

Did anyone actually try to watch Willow episodes 2, 3? I expected episode 1 to be more coherent as Willow series has the talents of Ron Howard and George Lucas behind it. Beautiful landscapes, lush forests and characters that have been updated with a 'Riverdale' -like TV Woke process and music.

On 12/8/2022 at 12:11 AM, aardvark88 said:

Did anyone actually try to watch Willow episodes 2, 3? I expected episode 1 to be more coherent as Willow series has the talents of Ron Howard and George Lucas behind it. Beautiful landscapes, lush forests and characters that have been updated with a 'Riverdale' -like TV Woke process and music.

I watched about 15 minutes and the Princess has got to be one of the least likable characters I have seen in years, and that is saying something.  Plus, the modern dialog and slang in a medieval fantasy show just kills it.

On 12/8/2022 at 12:03 AM, drotto said:

I watched about 15 minutes and the Princess has got to be one of the least likable characters I have seen in years, and that is saying something.  Plus, the modern dialog and slang in a medieval fantasy show just kills it.

Worse than Galadriel?

On 12/8/2022 at 11:35 AM, D84 said:

Worse than Galadriel?

Tough one.  Galadriel is condescending, self ritiuous, annoying, off-putting, tedious and pompous.  The lead here adds a new level of CW teenager to that. So it's a kinda one up.