• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WILLOW series (2022)

48 posts in this topic

On 12/7/2022 at 11:03 PM, drotto said:

I watched about 15 minutes and the Princess has got to be one of the least likable characters I have seen in years, and that is saying something.  Plus, the modern dialog and slang in a medieval fantasy show just kills it.

She's absolutely awful, but I'm enjoying the series otherwise.  Low expectations probably have something to do with that. 

On 12/8/2022 at 11:57 AM, D84 said:

damn-friday.gif.4ad8f394a9cb3f11c0b19281e695d8a9.gif

Like I said, this is her in the first 15 minutes.  This does not make an inherently bad series, just so cut and past at this point.

We open on two people practice sword fighting. One is masked, shot from a distance so you can not really make them out well.  We zoom in to have the one unmask and, gasp, it's a girl!  The two girls go for a roll in the mud, because they are BFF's maybe more.

Scene two we meet the twin brother, who is engaging in his own roll in the hay with a kitchen maiden.  He is dressed far more girlie than his sister.  The queen comes in to say they need to get ready for the royal ball to announce her wedding.  She then whines about having to wear a dress and get married, and it is oh so oppressing.   She just wants to roll in the mud with here BFF and go on adventures.  No care for the privilege she has or the responsibilities that come with that privilege. 

Next scene is getting ready for the ball.  Her complaining again about the dress and her duties and responsibilities and how unfair they are to her mother, who Is trying to impress on her how important this marriage is, and that she a role she must play. Her people expect a certain degree of formality, show of royal duty and respect for that position.  She wants nothing to do with it. Mom is made out to be the bad guy.

Next the ball.  Now she is again complaining to her BFF about how unfair her life is, because she has responsibilities and stuff.  It is just so hard being a princess when she just wants to go on adventures. We see the husband to be and he is the meek, quiet, and soft spoken, you absolutely know who the strongest in the marriage will be. He is not happy, but excepts his roll.  They emphasis this marriage is needed to protect both kingdoms from impending doom.  It is essential to the survival of their way of life, but again the princess is like, I like do not care, I do not want to do this.

I may have missed some things, and certainly this is not all of it, but it is how she is introduced.  A self centered, narcissistic, complainer, with no sense of duty or responsibility.

On 12/8/2022 at 5:39 PM, Hawkman said:

Really enjoyed the first two episodes.

Episode 2 far more palatable than that poorly edited, whiny and Woke episode 1. Rewatched most of 'Willow' the 1988 movie. Wonder if that red-haired baby is Bryce Dallas Howard, as the movie and this series is directed by Ron Howard (Happy Days).

It's a decent series so far. The last episode had some weird editing or maybe I wasn't paying attention. But I felt like it jumped around a bit and had some scenes that didn't make sense.

On 12/8/2022 at 1:06 PM, buttock said:

She's absolutely awful, but I'm enjoying the series otherwise.  Low expectations probably have something to do with that. 

I feel the same way. With this, I especially had low expectations, as nothing to compare to the original movie. As a nutty Willow fan, I’m just happy to Warwick still tearing it up. Otherwise, I agree with most that the modern day dialogue makes it hard to watch sometimes. Is there an article on why they took it there? I’m still so confused. It may be poor writing, but I wish they took more time with the series. 

On 12/13/2022 at 9:43 AM, Rodey said:

It's a decent series so far. The last episode had some weird editing or maybe I wasn't paying attention. But I felt like it jumped around a bit and had some scenes that didn't make sense.

This gives me hope. I've been holding off watching this until I saw some of the reactions here.

A friend of mine wanted to watch Episode 1 of 'Willow' the other night, so we watched it.  Despite enjoying the original film and the concept behind the fantasy story, I had three major issues with the pilot:

1. The writing is quite poor.  Bland, cliched, superficial.

2. The acting is worse, especially the actor who plays the princess.

3. The editing is worse than either the writing or the acting -- "atrocious" is the word that comes to mind.  Worst editing I've seen in years.

Avoid at all costs, or at least be willing to give the pilot a pass and see if it improves in episodes 2 and 3.  Good luck!

Dan

On 12/14/2022 at 8:27 AM, Drummy said:

A friend of mine wanted to watch Episode 1 of 'Willow' the other night, so we watched it.  Despite enjoying the original film and the concept behind the fantasy story, I had three major issues with the pilot:

1. The writing is quite poor.  Bland, cliched, superficial.

2. The acting is worse, especially the actor who plays the princess.

3. The editing is worse than either the writing or the acting -- "atrocious" is the word that comes to mind.  Worst editing I've seen in years.

Avoid at all costs, or at least be willing to give the pilot a pass and see if it improves in episodes 2 and 3.  Good luck!

Dan

Well said.  I love the original movie but this series is beyond bad. What are they thinking…got about half way through episode 2 and couldn’t handle it anymore. 

I’m not a fan of the original movie and only saw it for the first time shortly before watching the series. I thought the movie was good with a few story problems. Willow and his village life was a amazing.

Willow the Series is a deliberately (at-times) silly fantasy adventure (kinda like the movie?) , but I’ve felt compelled to tune in every week so far, maybe because of the ragtag group of characters. Most of the story action  seems to comprise of “let’s move from one place to the next place (on our journey) where we can all talk amongst ourselves and reveal character elements”.

I’d say this last episode was the most compelling so far as we’re finally moving the story along in a more meaningful way and an interesting guest appearance. 

On 12/30/2022 at 7:54 AM, I like pie said:

I enjoyed it. Audience scores went up slightly as the season wrapped up, hopefully enough to merit a season 2:wishluck:

Did it wrap? Some sites say the series is six episodes. Others say eight. The story is not concluded yet. I believe there will be another episode next Wednesday.

On 12/30/2022 at 7:31 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Did it wrap? Some sites say the series is six episodes. Others say eight. The story is not concluded yet. I believe there will be another episode next Wednesday.

Well, that's exciting! I'm don't know why I thought it was six. I thought they were just leading(hoping) into season two.