• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEWBIE just came in !!!
1 1

24 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I can understand that.  I have my grandfather's Ingersoll pocket watch on its original chain.  It's a cheap, early 1900s watch, but I'd never throw it away. I was only six when he died.

Oh man,  never get rid of that. 

I have my grandfather's old Swiss army knife. He was a farmer turned landscaper and always carried the Swiss army knife. The knife itself is worn nearly beyond recognition. The tools are dull and the metal is so thin from use it looks like you could snap it in half without much effort. 

It has 0 value.  You couldn't give it away.  But hard work defined my grandfather. I spent summers working for him growing up and that knife and the work it did is symbolic of the person he was. So I keep it on a shelf in my office. It's one of a handful of things I prize and will never part with. 

On 10/26/2020 at 8:53 AM, docdoowop said:

For those wondering, I do not want to slab this as i think it is no better than a 1.0, so I will keep it with me.

Agree with the warm setiments shared here.  These histories are great.  We have ties to things too, not just people.  I just wanted to say don't assume your book is a "super low grade" 1.0.  That's a fuzzy pic, but it suggests a book that, even if low grade, may be better than a 1.0.  Please be sure to take advantage of the "Buddy, can you spare a grade?" thread and provide quality pix of the front and back covers (both exterior and interior), the splash page, and ideally the centerfold (particularly the staple areas).  That is where boardies are kind enough to share their wisdom and experience to estimate how CGC would grade your book!   And if you slab your book after using that thread, just do those folks a solid by reporting back on the eventual grade.   They would like that.  And welcome to the boards!   :banana:

Edited by Pantodude

On 10/26/2020 at 7:50 AM, docdoowop said:

Here is my first American comic book I bought when I was 5 years old (with my mom) in 1968. She knew I liked the Spiderman TV cartoon back then so when she found it in one of the bins, she bought it. I dont remember how much she paid for it but she told me before she died that she gave the store owner a $20 bill for 4 comics and she got change back. 

Your mom did an exceptional job.

According to GPA, here are the approximate prices that book is selling for in each of these CGC grades:

Six CGC 1.0 copies have sold this year ranging in price from $2,710 to $3,750........(four of those sold in the $2,800-$3,100 range).

Four CGC 1.5 copies have sold this year ranging in price from $3,240 to $4,000........(the two most recent sales were $3,901 and $4,000).