• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating RICK STARR
9 9

341 posts in this topic

As Andy noted, USPS is extremely sluggish these days. A few thoughts ...

• Has there been any attempt to track the mailed check through tracking? (unless there was no tracking, which seems odd for a check of such an amount).
  • Did John have (as one of his thread rules) that if payment isn't received within 'x' # of days, then yada yada yada?

5 minutes ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

As Andy noted, USPS is extremely sluggish these days. A few thoughts ...

• Has there been any attempt to track the mailed check through tracking? (unless there was no tracking, which seems odd for a check of such an amount).
  • Did John have (as one of his thread rules) that if payment isn't received within 'x' # of days, then yada yada yada?

I did not have tracking, as it was a personal check and I’ve never had an issue like this crop up. I had also conducted one transaction with the seller several months ago, and there were no issues with that exchange. Lesson learned, of course. I have confirmed with my bank that the check has not been cashed.

As stated, the seller directed me, the buyer, to wait several times. The first was after I expressed concern when the check did not arrive within a week’s time. 

Edited by thewritestuff

Do you remember GEEzusWalks being nominated here?  The seller changed their mind and didn't have the book (the seller didn't want to lose money on the book) so Rick Starr changed his mind to keep the book (he doesn't need the money). Both have some similar parallel.  This can't be repeated.

I never lost a package in 20 years... after covid19 I've lost 3 parcels in a year and had two different checks take over 2 weeks to arrive. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 minute ago, thewritestuff said:

I did not have tracking, as it was a personal check and I’ve never had an issue like this crop up. Lesson learned, of course. I have confirmed with my bank that the check has not been cashed.

As stated, the seller directed me, the buyer, to wait several times. The first was after I expressed concern when the check did not arrive within a week’s time. 

If the check is simply delayed because of the sluggishness of USPS at the moment (and surely most sellers who ship via USPS are aware of the present molasses-like delivery times of USPS), then the decision to not sell you the book seems odd.  I believe you offered to provide another form of payment (assuming you'd cancel your first check), but he advised to wait. (again, I hope we have John's side presented soon)

3 minutes ago, wombat said:

The seller also made it perfectly clear the reason for cancelling was not the lateness of the check, but he changed his mind. That is not acceptable for the boards. Does he have a "right" to not sell the book? Sure. Just like a buyer has the right to not pay for a book he claimed. That doesn't mean you don't face repercussions for exercising those rights. 

We need to see Rick Starr's recent sale thread if he mentioned "right" to not sell.  @thewritestuff  Can you direct us to his sale thread?

Edited by JollyComics

3 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

We need to see Rick Starr's recent sale thread if he mentioned "right" to not sell.  @thewritestuff  Can you direct us to his sale thread?

Are you saying someone might put in their sales thread the right to change their mind after someone claims a book and that would be OK? That would be troubling. 

1 minute ago, seanfingh said:

The "No returns on slabs" is a pretty ironic in light of this situation.

For those getting hung up on the check, that is listed as the preferred method of payment. And knowing how slow the mail is these days that has to be taken into consideration. 

9 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

I don’t think he meant “right” in terms of a sales thread rule. 

I think he just meant “right” in terms of nobody’s going to go to your house and twist your arm and force you to pack up and ship a book or hit the pay button on PayPal