• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodbye, movie theaters
3 3

114 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, valiantman said:

There's just no reason to go back to theaters... ever.

How will we show our disgust at terrible movies in this future world Valiantman? I took great pride in walking out in the middle of Never Ending Story II you know. 

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:
13 minutes ago, valiantman said:

There's just no reason to go back to theaters... ever.

How will we show our disgust at terrible movies in this future world Valiantman? I took great pride in walking out in the middle of Never Ending Story II you know. 

Simple, you just pause a movie in the middle and never finish it.  Then instead of a dozen people knowing you walked out in the middle of Never Ending Story II, countless computer algorithms will know you never finished streaming Never Ending Story IX until the A.I. overlords use it to torture you into submission in the post-apocalyptic suburbs for your golden years.

Just now, valiantman said:

Simple, you just pause a movie in the middle and never finish it.  Then instead of a dozen people knowing you walked out in the middle of Never Ending Story II, countless computer algorithms will know you never finished streaming Never Ending Story IX until the A.I. overlords use it to torture you into submission in the post-apocalyptic suburbs for your golden years.

:eek:

Better make sure I watch Throw Momma From the Train all the way to the end then. 

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:
2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

:eek:

Better make sure I watch Throw Momma From the Train all the way to the end then. 

It won't matter because the A.I. overlords will quickly figure out the best torture is to just Groundhog Day us.

1 minute ago, piper said:

It may take a while for me to go back the theatre, but watching a movie on TV is just not the same.

Of course, I don’t have an 80” 4K TV at home...

Sit closer to the TV you've got.  Mom was wrong, you won't burn your eyes... we can Google it.  You'll be fine.

I'm thinking there will just be a consolidation of theaters in most markets.  It was getting pretty crazy in terms of the number of theaters within a 20 minute drive of my house (got to be at least 10 if you include the high end eat at your seat ones).  There will always be a need for theaters in most major markets but there definitely do not need to be as many.

5 inch 4K television, Surround 7.1 sound bar system, 4K/Blue Ray movie player, a comfy chair that only I fart in, my wife as company, and ANY DAMN SNACK I WANT....priceless!!! :banana:

12 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Brother! I brought my children to see it. I didn't have the option to walk out. I made it known how much I hated it when I got to the car, though.

Just now, Galen130 said:

5 inch 4K television, Surround 7.1 sound bar system, 4K/Blue Ray movie player, a comfy chair that only I fart in, my wife as company, and ANY DAMN SNACK I WANT....priceless!!! :banana:

You should be proud of what you have accomplished with 5 inches. 

7 minutes ago, piper said:

It may take a while for me to go back the theatre, but watching a movie on TV is just not the same.

That’s only in your perspective. Everyone have their own in theirs, mine is bit different. I think by watching a good movie at home is actually much better option for me. With today’s technology and innovations have given us more options to create a little “theatre room” in your living room, your bedroom or whatever room you have.

I’m looking in to replace my tv for a bigger size as it is now past 10 years in age. And the prices are good low to buy one.

Plus, I can get out of storage my old popcorn machine to use to get the delicious popcorn with butter. I also save my gas in my van if I were to drive out on way to a theatre.  Sorry if many of these theatres will go out of business ... it is a natural process of changing times.

18 minutes ago, valiantman said:
20 minutes ago, piper said:

Sit closer to the TV you've got.  Mom was wrong, you won't burn your eyes... we can Google it.  You'll be fine.

Math time!

Let's say you have a 55" 1080p TV at home.

If you sit 6 feet away from it, that gives you a viewing angle of 37 degrees.

If you go to a movie theater that has a 20-foot screen and you sit 28 feet away, the viewing angle is 35 degrees.

Your eyeballs will see the theater screen is smaller than your TV at home.

Edited by valiantman

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Math time!

If you go to a movie theater that has a 20-foot screen and you sit 28 feet away, the viewing angle is 35 degrees.

:whatthe::ohnoez::popcorn:

14 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Math time!

I was told there would be no math when I joined the boards...

16 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Math time!

The sound system is also better in the theatre than my Yamaha Soundbar.  You can't convince me... lol