• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodbye, movie theaters
3 3

114 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

I was told there would be no math when I joined the boards...

Someone lied.  If there's no math in collecting comics, then I have several dollar books I need you to buy at 3-for-$20, or 5-for-$50.  How many do you need?

1 minute ago, piper said:
18 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Math time!

Let's say you have a 55" 1080p TV at home.

If you sit 6 feet away from it, that gives you a viewing angle of 37 degrees.

If you go to a movie theater that has a 20-foot screen and you sit 28 feet away, the viewing angle is 35 degrees.

Your eyeballs will see the theater screen is smaller than your TV at home.

The sound system is also better in the theatre than my Yamaha Soundbar.  You can't convince me... lol

Three words:   Beats.  By.   Dre.

19 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Math time!

Let's say you have a 55" 1080p TV at home.

If you sit 6 feet away from it, that gives you a viewing angle of 37 degrees.

If you go to a movie theater that has a 20-foot screen and you sit 28 feet away, the viewing angle is 35 degrees.

Your eyeballs will see the theater screen is smaller than your TV at home.

I’m very happy with my home setup. Soundproof room, Epson 4K projector, Bose in front, rear and sides. Might even beat a standard theater experience. But it will never come close to true IMAX. I say true IMAX because there are “lesser” IMAX screens out there, I just call them fake IMAX despite them being officially licensed. But a true IMAX experience can not be beat. It’s also about that big sound with bass you can feel in your bones. The wide open space where you can really get a sense of sound traveling in different directions in relation to what you see on screen. You can sort of replicate that surround sound in your home but limited space takes away from that “big” sound movement across so many speakers. I gave up the normal theaters long before the pandemic. I only go out for IMAX.

Just now, Grails said:

I’m very happy with my home setup. Soundproof room, Epson 4K projector, Bose in front, rear and sides. Might even beat a standard theater experience. But it will never come close to true IMAX. I say true IMAX because there are “lesser” IMAX screens out there, I just call them fake IMAX despite them being officially licensed. But a true IMAX experience can not be beat. It’s also about that big sound with bass you can feel in your bones. The wide open space where you can really get a sense of sound traveling in different directions in relation to what you see on screen. You can sort of replicate that surround sound in your home but limited space takes away from that “big” sound movement across so many speakers. I gave up the normal theaters long before the pandemic. I only go out for IMAX.

All seriousness, I have to agree here.  I love the full-blown IMAX experience with the right setup.  The best one for me, unfortunately, is a theater over 2 hours away.  It's awesome!!  I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D there and was absolutely floored.  There's no way I can duplicate that at home.  Anything else, I'll sit at home and watch it.  COVID or not. :banana:

4 minutes ago, Grails said:

That's true - how else will you get three people you've never met to step over (on) your feet and get to listen to someone shake a box of M&Ms about six feet away from you for fifteen minutes during the movie by sitting at home?

25 minutes ago, valiantman said:

That's true - how else will you get three people you've never met to step over (on) your feet and get to listen to someone shake a box of M&Ms about six feet away from you for fifteen minutes during the movie by sitting at home?

I guess I’ve been fortunate, never had a bad experience in IMAX. Plenty of jerks on their cellphones in the regular theaters though. I’ve never been to a crowded IMAX as I always see the movies late in the run and always during the work week. 

38 minutes ago, Grails said:

I guess I’ve been fortunate, never had a bad experience in IMAX. Plenty of jerks on their cellphones in the regular theaters though. I’ve never been to a crowded IMAX as I always see the movies late in the run and always during the work week. 

I can confidently say theaters will not be using your demographic as their basis for staying open or not. lol

39 minutes ago, Grails said:
1 hour ago, JollyComics said:

How's about bargain prices?  Eat something before the movie theater.  That's way I saved money.

I married with two daughters and I’ve learned three purses holds a lot of Walmart snacks. 

So does a coffee table. :kidaround:

I really miss going to the theater. I can't imagine watching Avengers: End Game on a big-screen TV and saying that it is just as good as seeing it in the theater. Yes, we have a 65" 4K Sony television with a Sony sound bar. It is more than sufficient for our needs. We really enjoy it when we are watching sports. For me, TV will never measure up to the theater experience.

But, there is one benefit (for me) of watching a movie at home - I can pause the movie whenever I need to use the bathroom. I remember when Avengers: End Game first was shown in theaters. It had a run time of 3+ hours, so I knew there would be no way I could make it through to the end without going to the restroom. So, on the day we were going to see it in the early afternoon, I didn't drink any liquids from when I got up until the end of the movie. And, lo and behold, I was able to make through the entire movie without needing a restroom break!

12 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I really miss going to the theater. I can't imagine watching Avengers: End Game on a big-screen TV and saying that it is just as good as seeing it in the theater. Yes, we have a 65" 4K Sony television with a Sony sound bar. It is more than sufficient for our needs. We really enjoy it when we are watching sports. For me, TV will never measure up to the theater experience.

But, there is one benefit (for me) of watching a movie at home - I can pause the movie whenever I need to use the bathroom. I remember when Avengers: End Game first was shown in theaters. It had a run time of 3+ hours, so I knew there would be no way I could make it through to the end without going to the restroom. So, on the day we were going to see it in the early afternoon, I didn't drink any liquids from when I got up until the end of the movie. And, lo and behold, I was able to make through the entire movie without needing a restroom break!

I definitely needed a bathroom break.  In fact, I tried to time it during a non pivotal moment in the film.  I seem to recall that I missed something important.  Then again, I watched it more than once in the theatre anyway.

4 minutes ago, piper said:

I definitely needed a bathroom break.  In fact, I tried to time it during a non pivotal moment in the film.  I seem to recall that I missed something important.  Then again, I watched it more than once in the theatre anyway.

mickeymouse.gif.a68ac2a8ffe72713f1e9ee34215bcf71.gif

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

It's sad for the memories and theaters themselves, but every better thing about movies today is true of my own house.

There's just no reason to go back to theaters... ever.

I agree home theater experiences have leapfrogged the old days that had little comparison.

But I would miss the big theater release experience that as part of the excitement is being part of the audience excitement and reactions. Deadpool (2016) was enhanced further when you heard the shock and laughs people experienced going through a superhero film like none prior. Which was great.

:frown:

I'll never forget my Grandmothers reaction to the opening sequence to Star Wars,,,,,we went the opening week on my paper route money,,,,,,,her exact words......."OH MY",,,,, forever imprinted on my memories of the movie theater,,,,, I've got to plead to get my 15 year old daughter to sit down with her mother and I to watch a flick on the "TV" Hah!