• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulps Between Boards: Arkham House and Other Specialty Publishers
4 4

175 posts in this topic

On 5/6/2021 at 7:05 PM, Scrooge said:

This would easily belong in the Lovecraft thread but since it is about pulp reprinted, I'll share my story again here.

Back in another time and another place, I spent a chunk of one summer working in Bavaria, Germany and took with me the "complete" works of Lovecraft as edited into this massive 3 book set in the Collection Bouquins. Each volume in the set tops out at 1,200 pages or more. The collection not only has his fiction but also his essays, some correspondence and collaborations and other writings. Since I had most of the afternoons free, I read these cover to cover so I can claim I have read all of Lovecraft (... though I remember only fragments of it by now).

You know the most surprising thing is that only now do I realize that I have only ever read his work in translation!

I still have my set, some of the few books I decided to make the effort to bring across the ocean over the years.

These images are from the web -

49205352_LovecraftchezBouquins.thumb.jpg.5ff4ccb28cfae36470dc9af79108b360.jpg

Those are French editions, but you probably know that.

18 hours ago, Scrooge said:

At home now with the book in hand. It is credited to Philippe Druillet. Not sure of the year. He did contribute Lovecraft related works for the October 1979 issue of Metal Hurlant but I don't think this one was part of it.

Here's the entire image, the bottom was cropped on the book cover -

4d809139edc172aa365c9681ca5c25a1.jpg

This is the cover to the "Cahier de l'Herne - HP Lovecraft", a massive, comprehensive, look at HPL, probably the first book in the world devoted to HPL criticism. Published in 1969.

Edited by Xaltotun

6 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

Those are French editions, but you probably know that.

I assumed that everyone knew / remembered I am French but, indeed, these are French as I was still a youth when I read these.

1 minute ago, Scrooge said:

I assumed that everyone knew / remembered I am French but, indeed, these are French as I was still a youth when I read these.

From one Frenchman to another: désolé!

Necronomican press released the following individual Clark Ashton Smith stories as a series "The Unexpurgated Clark Ashton Smith." Most of the stories that I have here were published by Weird Tales in the 30's.  The exception being The Dweller in the Gulf in Wonder Stories.  Smith had no problem with revising stories so that they could be published.  I am sure he complained about Farnsworth Wright's editing though.  These were stories taken from Smith's manuscripts to restore them.

IMG_20211212_0010.jpg

IMG_20211212_0009.jpg

IMG_20211212_0008.jpg

IMG_20211212_0007.jpg

IMG_20211212_0006.jpg

IMG_20211212_0005.jpg

IMG_20211212_0004.jpg

IMG_20211212_0003.jpg

IMG_20211212_0002.jpg

IMG_20211212_0001.jpg

On 7/12/2021 at 6:03 PM, Blorgon scum said:

First time here. I have been reading this thread with great interest.  These two Arkham house editions I recently bought off Biblio.com and Ebay.

IMG_20210712_0004.jpg

IMG_20210712_0003.jpg

IMG_20210712_0002.jpg

IMG_20210712_0001.jpg

Very interesting stuff. Welcome.

Edited by Joshua33
Content

On 12/23/2021 at 7:34 PM, Blorgon scum said:

I believe that this is the last Arkham House collection of Clark Ashton Smith's stories published in 1988.  It collects stories from Averoigne, Atlantis, Hyperborea, Lost Worlds, and Zothique.

Yep, it's kind of a greatest hits collection.  All of the stories appeared in earlier AH CAS collections.  There is a 2nd printing from 2003 with a different cover.

Cool.  I didn't know there were different length versions of the story.  Looks like your chapbook is the first publication of the longer version, which means the abridged version is what's in the Arkham House book Genius Loci and Other Tales.

In related news, the original Finlay artwork for that story sold recently on Heritage.  I bid but lost. :cry: