• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Submitting Quick Question
3 3

11 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am considering submitting some books for the first time. Wondering if I can still select the "Submit at show" option on the website (it allows me to even though there are no shows CGC is attending) and then still mail them in to CGC headquarters. I know they were doing this back when COVID first hit and cancelled a bunch of cons but was wondering if this was still allowed.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, comicquant said:

Whats the benefit of selecting "submit at show" then mailing them in?  Why not just do "mail to HQ"?  I may be missing something...

To mail to HQ, I have to become a member and pay the membership fee. During COVID, at the time it started anyway, it was allowing people who were not paying a yearly membership for submission privileges to submit comics. I just don't know if they are still doing this. 

2 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

To mail to HQ, I have to become a member and pay the membership fee. During COVID, at the time it started anyway, it was allowing people who were not paying a yearly membership for submission privileges to submit comics. I just don't know if they are still doing this. 

I am not sure they are still doing this, but wondering if you are going to submit and want to track the progress( or lack of) why not pay for the membership and use the credit which would offset that cost as well as discount the cost per book ? Or if you are not as concerned about the tracking etc, why not submit through some of the larger dealer programs that offer around 20% on submissions through them? 

2 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I am not sure they are still doing this, but wondering if you are going to submit and want to track the progress( or lack of) why not pay for the membership and use the credit which would offset that cost as well as discount the cost per book ? Or if you are not as concerned about the tracking etc, why not submit through some of the larger dealer programs that offer around 20% on submissions through them? 

I am likely going to do this at this point as shipping back to me in Canada is outrageous. Just now doing research on some of the best Canadian CGC dealers :)

10 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I am likely going to do this at this point as shipping back to me in Canada is outrageous. Just now doing research on some of the best Canadian CGC dealers :)

Oh ok. Yeah even though I have shipped all over the globe, I still forget International shipping.  It definitely can be ridiculously expensive.   Still for your early submissions I would still recommend taking the initial plunge and getting the lowest paid tier.  Thinks its $149 or so, comes with $150 in grading credit plus 10% . It has the direct submission access,  which allows you to track your submission, but one of the most invaluable tools , if not doing prescreen, would be they also allow access to the graders notes. Which will somewhat help you refine they way they perceive certain defects and the effect they have on grade. 

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

1 minute ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Oh ok. Yeah even though I have shipped all over the globe, I still forget International shipping.  It definitely can be ridiculously expensive.   Still for your early submissions I would still recommend taking the initial plunge and getting the lowest paid tier.  Thinks its $149 or so, comes with $150 in grading credit plus 15% . It has the direct submission access,  which allows you to track your submission, but one of the most invaluable tools , if not doing prescreen, would be they also allow access to the graders notes. Which will somewhat help you refine they way they perceive certain defects and the effect they have on grade. 

Yes I have definitely considered that too. I am just trying to gauge, what with our border being closed, if sending stuff off now is best. I have bought and sold to the US with no problems during these times, but the thought of potentially sending 10-20 valuable books away myself has me slightly concerned is all. Plus, the $150 credit really would only cover the cost of grading 3 modern tier books and the shipping....ouch. 

5 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yes I have definitely considered that too. I am just trying to gauge, what with our border being closed, if sending stuff off now is best. I have bought and sold to the US with no problems during these times, but the thought of potentially sending 10-20 valuable books away myself has me slightly concerned is all. Plus, the $150 credit really would only cover the cost of grading 3 modern tier books and the shipping....ouch. 

The credit does not apply to shipping, but I do understand what you are saying. Which is why many just choose to buy graded . 

13 minutes ago, AshleyHabedank said:

Yes, it does.

Yes I am aware of all these things...I was merely asking if they were still allowing free submissions if you select drop off at con because that is not happening (and they were allowing this earlier this year)

Either way, I believe I am going an alternate route than submitting myself because being in Canada with the shipping charges for even a couple books is outrageous.