• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CONSTANTINE 2 starring Keanu Reeves, directed by Francis Lawrence (TBD)
1 1

57 posts in this topic

Constantine 2, a followup to the 2005 movie starring Keanu Reeves, is in the works according to Peter Stormare, who played Lucifer in the film. Stormare, who has also appeared in American Gods, John Wick: Chapter 2, and a number of video games including Destiny and Destiny 2, was a standout in the DC comics adaptation. Despite being panned by critics and comic book fans alike upon release, Constantine has been re-evaluated in recent years, especially since Reeves has experienced a major career resurgence due to the John Wick franchise.

Despite news of a J.J. Abrams-produced reboot, rumors of a sequel to the Reeves version have swirled for years. He and director Francis Lawrence, who went on to helm a number of the Hunger Games movies, spoke about their desire to make the original movie R-rated earlier this year, and hinted that if a sequel were ever to be greenlit, they'd both be keen to return to make it.

Now, Stormare has seemingly confirmed Constantine 2 is in fact happening, posting an image of himself as Lucifer in Constantine on Instagram with the accompanying caption "Sequel In The Works." Stormare is the first person directly involved to confirm plans for a sequel, and hopefully his post is correct. 

constantine2.JPG.8a5a51336563f0746bc69c01ebefeb0a.JPG

Edited by Bosco685

In a recent interview with Esquire to discuss his career, Reeves was asked about his interest in reprising the role of John Constantine for a new film. Reeves confirmed he'd love to play the character again while humorously realizing how many characters with the first name John he's played over the years. See what Reeves said below:

"I love playing Constantine. John Constantine. I've played a lot of Johns. How many Johns have I played? I don't even know. I think it's over ten. But anyway, I'd love to have the chance to play Constantine again."

On 3/26/2022 at 3:44 PM, Bosco685 said:

If the new Discovery leadership team takes note of the nostalgia response to Spider-Man: No Way Home, they would be wise to take Keanu Reeves up on his offer to return to his dream follow-up role.

:wishluck:

News this is going ahead will have me wetting myself

On 3/28/2022 at 12:53 PM, bentbryan said:

Peter Stormare’s portrayal of Satan was outstanding.  

Exactly the scene I go to when someone asks if Constantine had anything interesting in it.

Yes, it's an Elseworlds storyline. But there is so much of the Alan Moore concept built into the character.

On 4/24/2022 at 1:23 PM, D84 said:

For an eary 2000s comic book movie, it was pretty accurate.

Anyone remember X-Men: the Last Stand?

Even for that time throwing a Heaven vs. Hell themed comic book movie out there was quite risky.

Here is a resurrection of a DC character worth getting excited over. Warner Bros will develop another installment of the 2005 supernatural thriller Constantine, and the studio is re-teaming star Keanu Reeves and director Francis Lawrence, who made his helming debut on the original.

Akiva Goldsman will write the screenplay and produce the project through his Weed Road Pictures, alongside Bad Robot’s J.J. Abrams and Hannah Minghella.

When it opened 17 years ago the Reeves- starring pic based on the intricate DC character, Constantine grossed over $200m in 2005 box office dollars worldwide. It opened a world of potential, and fans have long been hot on a sequel. Reeves will reprise as supernatural exorcist and demonologist John Constantine who in the original is dying but stays around to save his soul by keeping demons from hell from breaching earth. He also gets between a battle between the archangel Gabriel and Lucifer.

This deal was shepherded by Warner Bros Pictures Group Co-Chairs Michael De Luca and Pam Abdy.