• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CONSTANTINE 2 starring Keanu Reeves, directed by Francis Lawrence (TBD)
1 1

57 posts in this topic

I hope this isn't true

Keanu Reeves' Constantine sequel may not happen after all.

According to notable leaker KC Walsh, the highly-anticipated sequel to the DC film focusing on the demon-slaying scoundrel may have been canceled. Responding to a now-deleted tweet regarding the movie, Walsh simply stated that Constantine 2 is not happening. They further alleged Warner Bros. Discovery only greenlit the movie "in desperation" as the announcement arrived shortly before the establishment of DC Studios and the introduction of James Gunn and Peter Safran as co-CEOs of the franchise. At the time of writing, WBD has yet to formally confirm Constantine 2's cancelation but the film was notably absent from the recently-unveiled DC Universe line-up.

Reeves has spoken at length about his excitement about returning to the world of John Constantine. The long-time actor and Hollywood icon said he pestered Warner Bros. Discovery for a sequel for many years. "I was like, 'Can I please have some more? ... I kept asking almost every year. I'd be like, 'Can I please?' [and] they'd be like, 'No, no!'" Reeves explained.

A spokesperson for Warner Bros. confirmed to EW that Constantine 2 is not scrapped. Internet chatter going around social media suggested it had been.

Reeves will be reprising his role of John Constantine, the magic-wielding occult expert made popular by Alan Moore and Stephen R. Bissette's Hellblazer comics. The studio announced last year that Reeves would be back for another go with filmmaker Francis Lawrence, who directed the first movie adaptation.

It's unclear where Constantine 2 will land in these plans. It's worth noting that Gunn stated there are more projects that will be announced for Chapter 1. It should also be said that Constantine exists in the same dark fantasy-based sect of the DC Universe as Swamp Thing, who is confirmed for his own origin movie. Anything that falls outside of that main DCU line-up, including the upcoming The Batman — Part II, will exist as standalone stories under the "Elseworlds" umbrella.

bullet_dodge.gif.5e94e26ccc560c0e871064f96c41a0ac.gif

The sequel to Constantine is still in development at DC Studios despite the latest shifts in infrastructure at Warner Bros. Discovery. With DC Studios bosses James Gunn and Peter Safran hard at work building out a shared cinematic universe based on one of the world's biggest stables of comic book characters, many were unsure whether or not we'd ever get to see the follow-up. Now, Keanu Reeves has confirmed he's had talks with Gunn.

In a Reddit AMA on Saturday, Reeves said "yes" to a fan's question about whether or not he's talked with Gunn and hopes that fans can see the sequel. It was revealed late last year, weeks before the DC Studios changes were first announced, that a sequel to the 2005 cult classic was in the earliest stages of development.

You'd think the studio would be all over a Constantine 2 movie.  I mean you have the lead actor saying he is down for it and would love to do it, coupled with the fact that Keanu is huge right now (past few years) because of John Wick, and holy cow he has the good will of just about everyone.

On 3/30/2023 at 6:36 PM, media_junkie said:

You'd think the studio would be all over a Constantine 2 movie.  I mean you have the lead actor saying he is down for it and would love to do it, coupled with the fact that Keanu is huge right now (past few years) because of John Wick, and holy cow he has the good will of just about everyone.

Doesn't matter with Cavill, won't matter with Keanu.

Akiva Goldsman (co-creator of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds; co-developer of the Paramount Plus series Star Trek: Picard):

Goldsman is also attached to writing two high-profile sequels for his former films, “I Am Legend” starring Will Smith and “Constantine” starring Keanu Reeves. Due to the writer’s strike, Goldsman could not offer too much of an update on the projects but was able to confirm that the sequels are still in the works.

“My pens are down, so there’s nothing to do. But, yeah, those are the next things I’m writing when I’m allowed to write again,” Goldsman said. “And I had already begun ‘[I Am] Legend 2’ when we [started striking], and Frances [Lawrence], Keanu [Reeves], and I have broken ‘Constantine 2.’ I just haven’t started typing yet.”

‘Constantine’ Director Francis Lawrence Provides Concrete Update On Long-Awaited Sequel

Speaking to BroBible’s Post Credit Podcast ahead of the release of The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, Lawrence — who made his feature directorial debut with the Reeves-starring film — provided an update on the long-awaited sequel.

“Those kinds of dark DC characters, Vertigo characters, have bounced around, and we’ve tried to gain control. We finally have, and Keanu, I, and Akiva Goldsman, who did the movie together originally, are batting around ideas, but we got sort of halted by the strike. However, we are actively coming up with ideas to create a part two, and it will be very rated R,” Lawrence told us.

“Now, is that a conversation that involves James Gunn and Peter Safran at DC Films?” we asked.

“I mean, it has because they’re part of, you know, people who have controlled the rights, but really, this is a project that Akiva, Keanu, and I are doing,” Lawrence explained.

As long as Collins is able to provide a story outline at the very least, Lawrence would love to pick up where he left off in Songbirds & Snakes and make his fifth Hunger Games film, but for now, he’s turning his attention to developing Constantine 2 with Keanu Reeves and screenwriter Akiva Goldsman. The triumvirate have been trying to launch a sequel to their 2005 superhero-horror film for quite some time.

“The regime at DC changed, and they’ve got their plans. But luckily, we managed to wrangle some control and started working on some ideas for Constantine 2, which we’re really excited about,” Lawrence shares. “It’s still the very beginning, as the strike put it on hold for a little bit. So we’re probably going to start getting back together after Thanksgiving, and dig back in to try and crack it.”