• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I’m on a Charlie Chan kick

36 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

I loved the movies when I was growing up. Unfortunately, we'll never see one again.

Movies were great as a kid.  Looking at them with adult eyes you certainly can see the racism and sexism but they are fun murder mysteries.  I was always a Sydney Toller guy.  I always thought he was the first Chan but I guess he was the second 

Edited by Chicago Boy

1 minute ago, Chicago Boy said:

Movies were great as a kid.  Looking at them with adult eyes you certainly can see the racism but they are fun murder mysteries.  I was always a Sydney Toller guy.  I always thought he was the first Chan but I guess he was the second 

Those movies are as politically incorrect as can be. To be truthful, back when I watched these movies in the 1960s, "politically incorrect" wasn't even a thing yet.

I purchased the complete set of Charlie Chan DVD's last year because I was afraid they would be hard to get in the future, especially since Disney now owns Fox. I also got the later Monogram Chan films from Warner Home Video, and they seem to be willing to keep them in print. 

8 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I purchased the complete set of Charlie Chan DVD's last year because I was afraid they would be hard to get in the future, especially since Disney now owns Fox. I also got the later Monogram Chan films from Warner Home Video, and they seem to be willing to keep them in print. 

Do u have a favorite Chan ? 

Toler is great too. Oland was the first Chan I saw, and it didn't hurt that the movie was Charlie Chan at the Opera, in which Boris Karloff is a mad opera singer who escapes from an insane asylum and is dressed as Mephistopheles for a good portion of the film. That kind of stuff leaves a mark on impressionable young minds.

9 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Toler is great too. Oland was the first Chan I saw, and it didn't hurt that the movie was Charlie Chan at the Opera, in which Boris Karloff is a mad opera singer who escapes from an insane asylum and is dressed as Mephistopheles for a good portion of the film. That kind of stuff leaves a mark on impressionable young minds.

I watched Dark Alibi last night. I can’t stop now. Will look for that one on Prime. Thx !