• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
12 12

180 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2021 at 8:37 PM, divad said:

Help me out here, but isn't that a Canadian newsstand variant on top of the MJI???  :bigsmile:

Something like that would be 100% fake.  MJIs were inserted into US Newsstand editions only then sent to the military's distributor for shipment to overseas bases (and a couple of domestic locations).  Ove the 1000+ MJI books I've owned, the coolest I've seen were: double cover (seen), upside down insert (seen), double insert (owned but accidentally sold. doh!

On 7/23/2021 at 7:29 AM, Stronguy said:

Something like that would be 100% fake.  MJIs were inserted into US Newsstand editions only then sent to the military's distributor for shipment to overseas bases (and a couple of domestic locations).  Ove the 1000+ MJI books I've owned, the coolest I've seen were: double cover (seen), upside down insert (seen), double insert (owned but accidentally sold. doh!

GetImage.aspx?c=3285552&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=:tink: 

On 7/23/2021 at 11:09 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I remember that.  I still think they're fake but I don't have any way to prove it.  I've done a ton of research on the production, history, and distribution of MJIs over the past 20+ years.  Their existence is not logically consistent with the MJI history I know.  Besides, you would think more of these would have turned up.

On 7/23/2021 at 9:18 AM, Stronguy said:

've done a ton of research on the production, history, and distribution of MJIs over the past 20+ years.  Their existence is not logically consistent with the MJI history I know.  Besides, you would think more of these would have turned up.

(worship)

On 7/23/2021 at 12:37 PM, mec3437 said:

Maybe they were only distributed in Ottawa where the US DoD has a personnel exchange program with the Canadians.  

That's possible but they still would have had US covers on them.  MJIs were added to the end of the US print run.  The only possibility I can think of (which is discussed in the linked thread) is that there were some leftover guts left in the stack from the US run at the beginning of the Canadian cover run.  That seems highly improbable because making the Canadian cover requires taking off the front/back cover plate and adding the Canadian price to it.  That takes some time.

On 7/27/2021 at 1:09 PM, Stronguy said:

That's possible but they still would have had US covers on them.  MJIs were added to the end of the US print run.  The only possibility I can think of (which is discussed in the linked thread) is that there were some leftover guts left in the stack from the US run at the beginning of the Canadian cover run.  That seems highly improbable because making the Canadian cover requires taking off the front/back cover plate and adding the Canadian price to it.  That takes some time.

Chipping in, we know that the covers were printed separately to the guts so, prior to assembly, there would have been a pile of US priced covers and a smaller pile of Canadian. The time it takes to change the price plate isn't overly relevant.

The innards run would presumably have been set to ensure enough guts were printed to satisfy the US and Canadian cover volumes combined. That leaves three piles:

• A run of guts
  • A run of US covers
  • A run of Canadian covers

The instruction to the assembly crew would have been:

• Add guts to the Canadian covers
  • Add guts to (for arguments sake) 90% of the US covers
  • For the remaining 10% of the US covers, add guts and a MJI advert (being a fourth pile of course)

In theory, all that is needed for a MJI to appear in a Canadian copy is a bit of human error at the assembly stage.

Do you think something like that is possible...?

93114931_241Thor332Interior.thumb.jpg.2eaa75ddb8810031254bdae7bc7e166f.jpg.eaa7c0043002d76f4cd43f5f7f717a6f.jpg

On 7/27/2021 at 7:30 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

The time it takes to change the price plate isn't overly relevant.

Actually it is relevant because the press must stop and covers checked to do it.  That means the chance of a few Canadian covers just shooting off the press and onto the assembly stack is greatly reduced.  To complicate things further is the alignment check that would/should have taken place when the plate was changed.  Several (hundred?) CPV covers would have come off the press and been checked as a standalone activity.  These would have most likely not gone into the normal collating process but might have been retained and used for remainder copies (the 4-staple books you sometimes see where the guts have one set of staples and the cover is attached with another set).

The instruction to the assembly crew would have been:

Assembly was automated based on a pre-defined sequence.  Covers were collated from one press with the pages from another press; if there were inserts, they were then added to the stack -- all automated and happening at a blindingly fast rate.  Pages were stacked, trimmed, stapled, then folded.

Do you think something like that is possible...?

Possible, yes; probable, no.  In fact I think it's is so highly improbably that assuming something fishy went on should be the first inclination -- Occam's Razor.

I think the bottom line is, even if everything is on the up-and-up, these would be a complete fluke and not an actually intended printing variation.

On 7/27/2021 at 2:14 PM, Stronguy said:

I think the bottom line is, even if everything is on the up-and-up, these would be a complete fluke and not an actually intended printing variation.

I agree, they would not exist by design. But as the Thor interior Spidey shows, and others like it, mistakes do happen, even during an automated, pre-defined production sequence. 

On 7/22/2021 at 1:30 PM, Stronguy said:

Yeah, they miss MJIs all the time.  QC has really taken a hit in the last year or so.

Concur, Stronguy.  I have some Liefeld New Mutants issues with the MJI and I sent in a few for the Louise Simonson signing.   A few blue labels and a few yellow labels.  ALL missing the MJI metadata on the label.  I have done Mechanical Error submissions so many times that two of the qc people at ngc.coin know my email address now.  I think I’m done with CGC once my subscription period ends.  When I first submitted books to them, back in 2006, they would even put the location the book signing took place on the Yellow label, like ‘….signed at Wizard World Texas…’ or something.   That went away and now the MJI detail seems to be fading too.  I’d be curious to know why, since their YouTubes paint them as such a meticulous and thorough grading company.  But…yeh…the QC has taken a hit.  Definitely giving CCS a look….

F50FC3BF-669F-4B43-86E4-15314615C5C4.jpeg

On 9/18/2021 at 8:05 PM, Ballymore3 said:

Concur, Stronguy.  I have some Liefeld New Mutants issues with the MJI and I sent in a few for the Louise Simonson signing.   A few blue labels and a few yellow labels.  ALL missing the MJI metadata on the label.  I have done Mechanical Error submissions so many times that two of the qc people at ngc.coin know my email address now.  I think I’m done with CGC once my subscription period ends.  When I first submitted books to them, back in 2006, they would even put the location the book signing took place on the Yellow label, like ‘….signed at Wizard World Texas…’ or something.   That went away and now the MJI detail seems to be fading too.  I’d be curious to know why, since their YouTubes paint them as such a meticulous and thorough grading company.  But…yeh…the QC has taken a hit.  Definitely giving CCS a look….

F50FC3BF-669F-4B43-86E4-15314615C5C4.jpeg

Dang that's not good :(

Father time has not been good for these 78 books. These are low grade, but still a major haul for a collection of Mark Jewelers. Send me a private message (hamiltonnathan@bellsouth.net) if you are interested.

78 Mark Jewelers (All DC)

(10) New Teen Titans - #5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 15, 17, 18, 19, 23

(7) Superboy - #7, 17, 18, 20, 21, 26, 28

(21) Superman - #345, 347, 348, 349, 351, 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 358, 360, 361, 362, 364, 365, 368, 369, 370, 371, 374

(9) The Warlord - #38, 45, 46, 49, 50, 51, 52, 57, 59

(6) Batman - #325, 332, 333, 337, 344, 348

(2) Detective Comics - #501, 506

(23) - A mix of Extremely poor condition (Unexpected 196), (Superboy 5, 9,  10, 11, 13, 15) (Warlord 37, 47, 58) (New Teen Titans 22, 12), (Detective Comics 497, 499), (Batman 340, 339, 331, 329, 322), (Superman 43), (Brave and the Bold 177, 183, 172)

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3284.jpg

IMG_3283.jpg

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3279.jpg

IMG_3278.jpg