• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BATMAN 181 9.8 On Heritage 9.8? Small crease and case debris $50K

56 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

Here’s one example: A seller can put a book up for auction. Bid on it and win. They only have to pay the auction house the auction fee. No need to pay themselves for the book since they already own it. And they can drive the price of the book up. Lesser informed buyers won’t see it and immediately accept the auction price as the new fair market value of the book. Then maybe they head over to ebay

Just another reason I won't buy or bid @ HA. Sure there's some nice stuff, but their fees are high. Sure as Hell would never drop $100K+ on a book like that. Good luck trying to resell it.

26 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

Here’s one example: A seller can put a book up for auction. Bid on it and win. They only have to pay the auction house the auction fee. No need to pay themselves for the book since they already own it. And they can drive the price of the book up. Lesser informed buyers won’t see it and immediately accept the auction price as the new fair market value of the book. Then maybe they head over to ebay

I definitely get that possibility. On this book that would be a $9K loss with no guarantees it’s going to be worth anywhere near what you paid. So I’d say doubtful that happens on bigger books, but I get it. I guess if we suddenly see this Batman 181 up on eBay for $100K+, that will be telling.

1 hour ago, DanCooper said:

Coming soon to a Heritage theater near you! (January 2021. Auction description/detail not yet loaded on Heritage. A Pennyworth though)

The heir apparent to take the crown from this Bat 181?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-//p/7239-12008.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

I think that's a much nicer book than the 181.

3 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Besides the illegality, I see additional problems with that scheme.  First, the seller is out around $18,000 for the buyer's premium.  Second, the seller lost the chance to sell the book to the underbidder, whose bid differed from the $90,000 hammer price only by the bid increment, far less than the $18K the seller lost on the scheme.  And finally a comic grabbing this much attention can't easily be pawned off on another selling venue, as the hobby is now well aware of it and the Heritage archive provides a digital identifier of the book.

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

Besides the illegality, I see additional problems with that scheme.  First, the seller is out around $18,000 for the buyer's premium.  Second, the seller lost the chance to sell the book to the underbidder, whose bid differed from the $90,000 hammer price only by the bid increment, far less than the $18K the seller lost on the scheme.  And finally a comic grabbing this much attention can't easily be pawned off on another selling venue, as the hobby is now well aware of it and the Heritage archive provides a digital identifier of the book.

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

The example I gave was not in reference to this specific book. I gave an example of one scenario where a seller bid’s on their own book, eventually wins it, and ends up paying for the book along with the auction fee. Nothing illegal about it but if you have a specific law to refer to that forbids an owner from bidding on their book please let me know. There is another scenario where the winning bidder simply doesn’t pay for the book. And then there’s the prima facia  scenario of an uninformed buyer overpaying for a book as is the case with this Batman book.

Edited by bronze johnny

4 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I definitely get that possibility. On this book that would be a $9K loss with no guarantees it’s going to be worth anywhere near what you paid. So I’d say doubtful that happens on bigger books, but I get it. I guess if we suddenly see this Batman 181 up on eBay for $100K+, that will be telling.

One scenerio is that the book is sold in a private transaction. We may not know for some time what happens. 

21 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

The example I gave was not in reference to this specific book. I gave an example of one scenario where a seller bid’s on their own book, eventually wins it m, and ends up paying for the book along with the auction fee. Nothing illegal about it but if you have a specific law to refer to that forbids an owner from bidding on their book please let me know. There is another scenario where the winning bidder simply doesn’t pay for the book. And then there’s the prima facia  scenario of an uninformed buyer overpaying for a book as is the case with this Batman book.

I don’t know about Heritage, but eBay and C-Link don’t allow you to bid on your own book. Just to give an example, I just attempted to bid on a book I’m selling in the current c-link auction and below is the message I got. Now I guess you could create a fake account and do it, not denying that. You’re definitely not supposed to lol.

667DE5D6-A6E8-4D8E-A608-D0B30C68CD4A.jpeg

Just now, LDarkseid1 said:

I don’t know about Heritage, but eBay and C-Link don’t allow you to bid on your own book. Just to give an example, I just attempted to bid on a book I’m selling in the current c-link auction and below is the message I got. Now I guess you could create a fake account and do it, not denying that. You’re definitely not supposed to lol.

667DE5D6-A6E8-4D8E-A608-D0B30C68CD4A.jpeg

I never underestimate what some people are capable of doing when money is involved.

That is an amazing sale price if you holding copies of Batman #181. I was surprised it hit that high with there being 3 CGC 9.8 copies, but I am glad it did. Batman #181 has long been undervalued IMHO since it is one of only two big SA Batvillain true 1st appearances (Mr. Freeze in Batman #121 being the other). Let's hope this sale floats prices higher across all grades. :wishluck:

On 11/21/2020 at 3:37 PM, bronze johnny said:

He'd likely have to pay sales tax too which may not necessarily be chump change.

3 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

He'd likely have to pay sales tax too which may not necessarily be chump change.

Maybe chump change, maybe not, depending on who they are and how deep their pockets go.

Edited by bronze johnny

On 11/21/2020 at 5:49 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I am quite sure this would apply to all of the major comic book auction houses like CC, CL, and Heritage since their system will not allow you to bid on your own books directly.  (thumbsu