• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Wars 8 10.0

40 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
On 11/21/2020 at 10:20 PM, PeterPark said:

Are they reading that this is 1 of 4? That's a lot of money for a club without much exclusivity...

That's a lot of money without being able to personally inspect the book in person to determine whether you agree it's indeed a 10.

Once again, sportscards have paved the way for comic books. 

There are several types of sportscards that are 1-out-of-5 or even more common that sell for $20K+, much newer than 1984, associated with players that will definitely retire (or already did).

If that much money can be put into a "limited" sportscard, or a Pokemon card with hundreds of graded examples, or a sealed video game from the 1980s, then $20K+ is nothing for popular comics limited to 4 (known) copies at the highest grade...

whether those comics are 36 years old, up to 82 years old, or in the case of ASM #667 Dell'Otto, 9 years old.

When you put collectibles across categories like that and compare what you can get for $20K, this book starts looking like a bargain.

Edited by valiantman

A collector won’t be buying this. While a great Copper book it certainly isn’t rare in very high grade (I bought a dozen back in the day) and because CGC chose to anoint this one with a 10 (during a grading time period this seemingly happened with more regularity) anyone who bids multiples of 9.8 Gpa is definitely breaking the smarter collector’s Bedrock principle “Buy the book not the slab”. 

In comics, I personally don't put much into a book being a 10 or being a 9.9 as compared with a 9.8. So many things can go wrong when "nothing" is wrong that being slabbed seems to me like enough to bring the grade down. They are certainly cool, but I'd be curious to see the percent that keep their status if they were unslabbed and regraded (without being damaged in that process).

1 hour ago, PeterPark said:

In comics, I personally don't put much into a book being a 10 or being a 9.9 as compared with a 9.8. So many things can go wrong when "nothing" is wrong that being slabbed seems to me like enough to bring the grade down. They are certainly cool, but I'd be curious to see the percent that keep their status if they were unslabbed and regraded (without being damaged in that process).

That's true, but the same can be said for a winning lottery ticket.  Trying to win again with the same numbers won't work, but the money is already in the first one.  Otherwise, it's all just paper.

My point is just that I don't put much more into it than a 9.8. If others want to, that's great. I'd personally trade down for a 9.8. Lucky for the people that get them but the value of them isn't very meaningful to me. To others, they are much better than a 9.8. I just don't see much difference. (shrug)2c

17 hours ago, PeterPark said:

My point is just that I don't put much more into it than a 9.8. If others want to, that's great. I'd personally trade down for a 9.8. Lucky for the people that get them but the value of them isn't very meaningful to me. To others, they are much better than a 9.8. I just don't see much difference. (shrug)2c

True, but that sentiment you're expressing is hard to differentiate from "sour grapes". :foryou:

these slabs are not capable of keeping a perfect 10 perfect. there are so many examples of pinched and dented corners on 9.8s and 9.6s due to slabbing and sometimed shaking.

perhaps if the slabs contained some kind of archival jello inside, they would be safer.

buying something like this is simply paying for an extremely pricey label. and as mentioned already, with four copies so far, it's not such an exclusive club.

18 hours ago, PeterPark said:

If you had the money, why buy a Bugatti when you can drive a Corvette. How often does anything come up Spidey, or anything during that era in GEM Mint 10.

22 hours ago, PeterPark said:

Can guarantee you’ll never find that out as it’s 0%. No way anyone deslabs a 9.9 or 10.0, too risky.

On 11/24/2020 at 10:05 AM, valiantman said:

True, but that sentiment you're expressing is hard to differentiate from "sour grapes". :foryou:

Oh, that was not at all what my intention was. I'd be very happy with a 9.9 or a 10.0, but I'd sell it. I see it more like a ticking time bomb that people want, haha. I'd like to hand it off as soon as possible before something lowers that grade, especially with the huge price it brings.

On 11/24/2020 at 11:24 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Can guarantee you’ll never find that out as it’s 0%. No way anyone deslabs a 9.9 or 10.0, too risky.

This is my point though, there is not enough different between 9.8 and higher to guarantee something higher. So there is a lot of luck to get one and no way to keep it there. I'm getting off that train.

2 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Oh, that was not at all what my intention was. I'd be very happy with a 9.9 or a 10.0, but I'd sell it. I see it more like a ticking time bomb that people want, haha. I'd like to hand it off as soon as possible before something lowers that grade, especially with the huge price it brings.

This is my point though, there is not enough different between 9.8 and higher to guarantee something higher. So there is a lot of luck to get one and no way to keep it there. I'm getting off that train.

Oh definitely luck to get one that’s for sure. I’ve never gotten a 9.9 or 10.0 on anything in the 8 years I’ve been sending books in. I definitely see a difference between 10.0’s and 9.9’s though compared to 9.8’s.

Edited by LDarkseid1