• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Wars 8 10.0

40 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Nutty! 😳

If I’m doing my math correctly, that’s a roughly 8000% increase over a 9.8.

The math on these really can be fun.

PRICE:  CGC 9.9 price = $32,255, CGC 9.8 price = $455 which is a ratio of 70:1

CENSUS: CGC 9.8 = 4,696 copies, CGC 9.9 = 27 copies (at 9.9 or higher) for a ratio of 174:1

EDIT - @LDarkseid1 correctly pointed out that I used the wrong grade.

CORRECTION:

PRICE:  CGC 10 price = $32,255, CGC 9.8 price = $455 which is a ratio of 70:1

CENSUS: CGC 9.8 = 4,696 copies, CGC 10 = 4 copies for a ratio of 1,174:1

Edited by valiantman

13 minutes ago, valiantman said:

CENSUS: CGC 9.8 = 4,696 copies, CGC 9.9 = 27 copies (at 9.9 or higher) for a ratio of 174:1

You mean 10.0 right? I think a 9.9 sells for somewhere under $10K.

Edited by LDarkseid1

16 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:
28 minutes ago, valiantman said:

You mean 10.0 right? I think a 9.9 sells for somewhere under $10K.

Right - I had 9.9 on the mind, for some reason.

CORRECTION:

PRICE:  CGC 10 price = $32,255, CGC 9.8 price = $455 which is a ratio of 70:1

CENSUS: CGC 9.8 = 4,696 copies, CGC 10 = 4 copies for a ratio of 1,174:1

You know I personally haven’t had a book get affected in the case, in the 8 years I’ve been getting books graded, and there’s been several thousand I’d say. As well as books I’ve bought. Yet I get it can be a possibility.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 12/3/2020 at 5:09 PM, Ryan. said:

Hopefully it doesn't get shaken too much on its way to the buyer. 

I guess you must be thinking of what was once the single highest graded copy of Hulk 181 that sold for 6 figures many years ago , but if the stories are indeed true, would not be anywhere in the 9's if it ever got sent back in for grading.  :fear:  :tonofbricks:

On 11/23/2020 at 9:41 AM, ThothAmon said:

A collector won’t be buying this.

Although a comic book collector would never pay the kind of money it takes to buy a book like this, a CGC label collector would have absolutely no problem digging into their bottomless pocket to fish out the money to pay for this 10.0 graded label.  :devil:

On 11/21/2020 at 8:20 PM, PeterPark said:

Are they reading that this is 1 of 4? That's a lot of money for a club without much exclusivity...

Yes, indeed as it's not only 1 of 4, but also 1 of almost 4,750 in CGC 9.8 and above, or also 1 of almost 12,000 in CGC 9.4 and above. hm

If you want a copy that's rare and exclusive, it's better to go to the other end of the pool with the single lowest graded copy at only CGC 1.0, and also only 1 of just 2 copies graded in CGC 2.0 and below.  Now, that's what I would call an exclusive club!!!  (:   

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I guess you must be thinking of what was once the single highest graded copy of Hulk 181 that sold for 6 figures many years ago , but if the stories are indeed true, would not be anywhere in the 9's if it ever got sent back in for grading.  :fear:  :tonofbricks:

Shaken comic syndrome is a real concern that happens much more often than most slab collectors likely realize. Considering the material differences between a 9.8, 9.9 and 10 are so miniscule that they can change dependent on the whims of the graders on any given day, paying an ultra premium for those top tier grades is a risk that I personally wouldn't take, and I certainly wouldn't trust any of the shipping services to handle the package like it contained a truly fragile item. 

4 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

And that’s the way the cookie crumbles. Owner 2 sees impressive results from owner 1 and decides to flip. I’m impressed a buyer was found that quickly though for this second 10.0.

auction under-bidder

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

What do the stories say?

On 12/3/2020 at 1:51 PM, valiantman said:

PRICE:  CGC 9.9 10.0 price = $32,255, CGC 9.8 price = $455 which is a ratio of 70:1

7 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Considering the material differences between a 9.8, 9.9 and 10 are so miniscule that they can change dependent on the whims of the graders on any given day, paying an ultra premium for those top tier grades is a risk that I personally wouldn't take,

The important thing to note is that dollars is an EXACT measurement as you sadly cannot change $455 into $32,255 just like that.  :(

Grading a book on the other hand, is far from an exact science and is really nothing more than just a so-called "expert" opinion at a particular point in time.  As such, it is suject not only to the whims of the grader at the time the book goes across their grading table, but also subject to changing grading standards over time, not to mention all of the artificial maniupulation that is now readily available to upgrade a book.  hm  :censored:

As such, that is why I have never understood the need to pay ridiculous multiples more for a book in a slightly higher grade when in the past we have seen books being upgraded by quite a few grade increments such as even going from a CGC 9.0 right up to a CGC 9.8, especially when they still look virtually the same from a visual scan. hm  (shrug)

Then again, I guess it's really a case of to each their own.  (thumbsu

On 12/23/2020 at 4:12 AM, Ryan. said:

Considering the material differences between a 9.8, 9.9 and 10 are so miniscule that they can change dependent on the whims of the graders on any given day, paying an ultra premium for those top tier grades is a risk that I personally wouldn't take,

Especially in the case of a common book like this where there are absolutely thousands upon sands of uber HG copies in the CGC 9.6 to CGC 10.0 grade range, making it virtually impossible to do any kind of tracking and tracing to determine if any of these have been artifically manipulated from lower graded and hence much lower dollar valued copies.  hm  (shrug)