• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lighting the art room?

44 posts in this topic

On 11/28/2021 at 7:21 PM, Rick2you2 said:

How bad are Edison bulbs? For art not near windows, but on occasion, turned on for lighting and accent? For pen and ink, prints and guashes, primarily, including ink washes? 

I've found over the years that garden-variety prints will fade pretty fast, as will markers, even with only indirect daylight/edison exposure, with reds being particularly fugitive.  Even good paper will tone with the same exposure, going to cream or more over long periods if that is a concern for you with OA.  I have old pigmented ink OA over 100 y.o. hanging that is still bold, but the paper can degrade, with exposure likely hastening that.  Solid color gouache should hold up in a similar fashion, you should probably take extra care with watercolor or washes.  Zipatone and other attachments will also show their bones more readily with exposure.  David

See first pic, a comic I had displayed under glass, vs. a stock photo.

Image.jpg

bbwildcatswipe.jpg

Edited by aokartman
pics

On 11/28/2021 at 6:21 PM, Rick2you2 said:

How bad are Edison bulbs? For art not near windows, but on occasion, turned on for lighting and accent? For pen and ink, prints and guashes, primarily, including ink washes? 

Well, they now have LED Edison bulbs that look and light similar to the older style incandescents. So, if you went with the LED variety you should be plenty safe.

Though I do think people probably overthink lighting. Just go with LEDs, and if you have any type of glazing over your art that blocks UV light, you're completely safe.

On 11/30/2021 at 11:10 AM, aqn83 said:

Well, they now have LED Edison bulbs that look and light similar to the older style incandescents. So, if you went with the LED variety you should be plenty safe.

Though I do think people probably overthink lighting. Just go with LEDs, and if you have any type of glazing over your art that blocks UV light, you're completely safe.

Turns out I had some and didn’t realize it.