• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2020 collecting in the rear-view review (the good stuff)
8 8

212 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

This was my big acquisition for the year.  I've wanted a copy for over 40 years (Hal Foster is one of my all time favorite artists)!  

I've wanted one for over forty years as well! This was a grail book in the 70's. I still love everything about this cover.  Congratulations!! :cloud9:

45 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

How desperate was this one coming? Check out the timeline of my adding books to the collection - It had been 8 years since I added another book -

611338514_CollectionTimeline.thumb.jpg.ebef2206e2f4e4d0b772f71c9a2acbc5.jpg

First off, congratulations on a mad quest fulfilled! (thumbsu

That graph is pretty remarkable! In that timespan, you could've bought two 9.0 copies of Action 1! Can it be Redskin 8 is really that scarcely traded?? I guess it's just one of those statistical realities that something needs to be last  (like a high number Buzzy for Ian Levine to complete his DC collection).

Why did you choose March 1952? It can't be something as simple as a birthday... There were so many books in those pre-code Atomic Age years - 426? You sure picked a doozie!  

6 hours ago, PopKulture said:

I guess it's just one of those statistical realities that something needs to be last  (like a high number Buzzy for Ian Levine to complete his DC collection).

I had the exact same thought when I posted. This is exactly like the Buzzy for Ian. That one book that simply does not turn up for whatever reason. It was nice though that the final one was not just a matter of $$ but of the hunt.

What is amazing too, in hindsight, is that the chart also reflects my life. I notice 3 quarters during the active years when fewer books were added: Q 2 2002, Q 4 2003 and Q 2 2008. In 2002, I moved to take my first job, in 2003, we spend a month in New Zealand and in 2008 my first daughter was born. All busy and exciting times for me and my focus was elsewhere.

By 2009, I was down to needing 3 books - These below in a Wanted poster I put together then are the ones you see on the right of the chart and they were found in that order as well: Bill Boyd then Nellie then Redskin -

Wanted-Last3.thumb.jpg.1fbd23c08b913c2994c44d1a921f7339.jpg

At that point, 2009, I launched a second goal, also with a 10-year end goal in mind, a complete Four Color (2nd series) set. Again, not quite done in 10 years but am now down to the final 66 out of 1,321.

3 hours ago, Scrooge said:

By 2009, I was down to needing 3 books - These below in a Wanted poster I put together then are the ones you see on the right of the chart and they were found in that order as well: Bill Boyd then Nellie then Redskin -

Glad to hear that you finally completed the set!  (worship)

Is there any sort of group picture? :popcorn: