• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT (2021)
6 6

809 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2022 at 5:36 PM, Number 6 said:

When Fett started chasing that rat-catcher droid around I literally threw my hands up and was like “What IS this?”

To me this was like watching the "Les Poissons" Chef Louis in the little mermaid chase Sebastian around the kitchen.. 2c

apparently every episode of Fett has to have a WTF moment in there, be it cyber teens, vespa slo mo chases, tusken fireside dancing or droid hijinks in the kitchen. I'm just trying to go with the flow and enjoy it for what it is. 

it's hard cause Mandalorian set the bar so high, the production value really felt like a big budget movie. this feels almost like if CW decided to try their hand at Star Wars. I halfway expect them to start making woke versions of major characters, ala CW. 

On 1/20/2022 at 6:36 PM, Number 6 said:

That’s the impression I get:  that the Clone Wars played no small part in the prequels “aging well”.   Which makes me almost wonder if that’s what’s going on here. Almost. 

I’ve only seen a few CW episodes when my boys were watching it. I thought it was alright but never struck me as something I’d want to invest the time getting caught up on, but I know others appraise it much more highly. 

So when Moff Gideon cuts himself out of his TIE Fighter I thought “huh, so he’s got a lightsaber, interesting”. Then I go online and everyone’s face is melting off with “It’s the Darksaber! IT’S THE DARKSABER!!!!!” and I thought “ok, so apparently this particular lightsaber is ‘a thing’”.  So I watched a YouTube video and got caught up on what that was all about. 

Then in the second season of the Mandalorian I noticed in the comments that the episodes were being divided up into “good” and “filler” episodes, and it just so happened that all the “good” episodes either had an appearance of a CW character or advanced a CW storyline in some way. 

It kind of feels like the same thing here. It seems like the positive spin for this show is coming from those who are anticipating an appearance of a character or storyline from either CW or the EU. Whereas for me, I’m not coming to the show with that investment, I’m just watching what’s in front of me. 

But I don’t think that explains it either. I thoroughly enjoyed the Mandalorian even though I really didn’t get all the CW backstory that everyone else was getting out of it. 

Part of the problem for me is tonal. If this were an, I don’t know, a 3P0/R2 show or a BB8 show I could probably roll with this tone a little better.  But when I watched Fett and Fennec infiltrate the Palace and compare that to the Mandalorian infiltrating the Client’s stronghold to rescue Grogu, I have a hard time believing it’s the same creative team making this show.  When Fett started chasing that rat-catcher droid around I literally threw my hands up and was like “What IS this?”

I also think, frankly, it’s not very well written. With this episode they seem to abandon their established narrative format - that everything we see in flashback is Boba’s memories while he’s in the Bactra tank…which includes him crawling out of the Sarlaac pit and the Jawas stripping his armor off.  Even if he was unconscious when stripped, at the very least he would remember he was wearing the armor when he came out. But now in this episode he forgets this detail so we have an excuse to see the Sarlaac get blown up. 

I also feel that the show suffers from the same thing that I didn’t like about Solo - that it spends way too much time filling all these little details about past stuff that I really don’t care about. Just move the story forward.  

Anyway, I’m glad that others are enjoying it but for me at the end of every episode I ask myself why I keep watching it. Hoping it will get better I guess?  Like I said before, if Mandalorian season 3 is like this I’m probably going to check out for good. 

The clone wars is definitely worth investing the time in but not necessarily for this show or even the Mandalorian. You may want to check out Rebels, though. That takes place at the beginning of the Rebellion and ends soon after the Battle of Endor. 

I think what these D+ shows are doing is to make sense of what happened in the sequels or why stuff happened. That doesn’t make them good, but I get it  

There were so many characters and storylines that didn’t make sense. The comics are introducing us to some characters that played a role or helped get us to where the sequels started. War of the Bounty Hunters just wrapped up, Crimson Reign just started, and the final arc is called Hidden Empire, but I have no idea what that is going to be about. So far the storylines are taking place right before RoTJ.  

On 1/20/2022 at 7:13 PM, Gruson said:

It’s pathetic. My god so many cringe moments in every episode. Rodriguez has got to go, you can tell a lot of the dumb comes from him. 

Fett acts like a insufficiently_thoughtful_person and gets his butt kicked regularly now. SMH 

9FB5A846-321A-4DDA-A4FB-E3D8F20EB969.jpeg

What’s kind of funny is all those bounty hunters tried to kill Fett in WotBH after Jabba put a bounty on him because he thought Fett stole Han from him. Fett beat all their :censored: and got Han back from Crimson Dawn/the Empire. That would have made for real compelling television and probably given everyone what they wanted.

Pretty sure it was all those bounty hunters trying to kill him that made him pull a Murtaugh and say he’s too old for this…

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 1/20/2022 at 6:54 PM, Lpgk said:

apparently every episode of Fett has to have a WTF moment in there, be it cyber teens, vespa slo mo chases, tusken fireside dancing or droid hijinks in the kitchen. I'm just trying to go with the flow and enjoy it for what it is. 

it's hard cause Mandalorian set the bar so high, the production value really felt like a big budget movie. this feels almost like if CW decided to try their hand at Star Wars. I halfway expect them to start making woke versions of major characters, ala CW. 

I watched Mandalorian with my 5-year olds, but I haven't shown them Boba Fett at all because it's too dark for them.  I assume the scenes you're referring to are Favreau trying to lighten it up for kids the same way Lucas tried to do repeatedly (Ewoks, Jar Jar, etc), but that he's not doing a great job at it this time around after knocking that out of the park with Grogu.

On 1/20/2022 at 4:58 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Also, don’t think I ever mentioned it to you, but Zombie Dust is one of my go-tos. Always enjoyable. 

It was my favorite for a long time. My buddies and I used to go to some serious lengths to get it...now I can buy it anytime I want at the local Publix.

Sarlaac pit and the Jawas stripping his armor off.  Even if he was unconscious when stripped, at the very least he would remember he was wearing the armor when he came out. But now in this episode he forgets this detail

Oh, is that what happened? I couldn't figure out why he thought his armor was in the pit. I thought I somehow misremembered the whole first scene of the series. Evidently plot points in this show are predicated on the main character incorrectly remembering events that clearly would never happen. Puke. 

On 1/20/2022 at 7:29 PM, october said:

It was my favorite for a long time. My buddies and I used to go to some serious lengths to get it...now I can buy it anytime I want at the local Publix.

Yeah, it’s real common around here. It’s either that or Two Hearted when a place doesn’t have some rare or sought after beer. 

With this episode they seem to abandon their established narrative format - that everything we see in flashback is Boba’s memories while he’s in the Bactra tank…which includes him crawling out of the Sarlaac pit and the Jawas stripping his armor off.  Even if he was unconscious when stripped, at the very least he would remember he was wearing the armor when he came out. But now in this episode he forgets this detail so we have an excuse to see the Sarlaac get blown up. 

We'd have to know why he passed out after escaping to know how that would have impacted his memory of events at the time.  Whenever anyone loses consciousness events before and after that moment are usually always affected.  What made him pass out--hunger?  Thirst?  Exhaustion?  Something about the Sarlac's digestive acids?  Dunno, but I'd guess exhaustion--and that would definitely affect his memories from that general period of time.  People who collapse from heat exhaustion usually lose some segment of time prior to when they pass out.

Which as you point out begs the question of how he's remembering it in the Bacta tank if he doesn't remember it while awake.  They should have just shown the Sarlacc escape separately from his Bacta tank memories; it would have worked as the very first scene of the show as if they were just showing it to us in real time.  Every fan would quickly realize they were picking up from at some point after the last Tatooine scene from Return of the Jedi.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 1/20/2022 at 8:19 PM, fantastic_four said:

Which as you point out begs the question of how he's remembering it in the Bacta tank if he doesn't remember it while awake.

Reminds me of a Rick & Morty episode when Morty asked why his memories sometimes shifted to other people’s points of view. lol 

I just want the Boba Fett they introduced in Mandalorian season 2: 

What happened to Boba's intensity, skill, vigor and ferocity that was so awesomely presented above? 

Instead we get mostly a slow-motion Bacta-Bath Boba getting his ares whipped over and over and over again with very few blips of what we all cheered for in his debut in the Mandalorian. 

I would still watch this show over Force Awakens, Last Jedi or Rise of Skywalker. I watched those movies once in the theater and never again. I've watched all of the SW and Marvel movies repeatedly but never those. I wanted to walk out of Rise of Skywalker, that's how bad I hated that one. So in that aspect, I guess it's still a win.

I actually loved Episode 2; never thought I could care about Sand People. But then again, Mandalorian made me care about an Ugnaught. I think that's Filoni and Favreau's talent; to give us back stories for the unloved background characters that got made into Kenner action figures. 

On 1/20/2022 at 10:49 PM, Lpgk said:

I would still watch this show over Force Awakens, Last Jedi or Rise of Skywalker. I watched those movies once in the theater and never again. I've watched all of the SW and Marvel movies repeatedly but never those. I wanted to walk out of Rise of Skywalker, that's how bad I hated that one. So in that aspect, I guess it's still a win.

I actually loved Episode 2; never thought I could care about Sand People. But then again, Mandalorian made me care about an Ugnaught. I think that's Filoni and Favreau's talent; to give us back stories for the unloved background characters that got made into Kenner action figures. 

I recommend revisiting that latest trilogy. Now that it is a whole trilogy I like it a lot more than I did when I saw them individually in the theaters. And I also come to really like Rise of Skywalker.

Episode four was a big upgrade over the third episode. Ming-Na Wen has saved the series though IMO. She's a great actress and conveys a lot with her expressions. Fennic and Fett are an interesting team and I'm hopeful they stay together for the duration. Also, Boba finally did settle some scores in this one! 

On 1/22/2022 at 2:22 AM, OV said:

Boba finally did settle some scores in this one! 

But did he? Killing the biker gang seemed petty and cowardly, especially after he agreed it didn't make sense that they actually did the attack (so they both were thinking it was a trick - this is mirroring the Storm Troopers trying to fake a Tuskin Raider attack in the original trilogy), blowing up sarlacc didn't mean anything since it was just blowing up an animal doing what it does (no reason there was a score to settle there, maybe if he pushed a Jawa into it for stealing his gear I would agree), and the only 'score' that might have been settled was a quick 1 second flashback of him killing Bib Fortuna (which seemed very anti-climactic since we've been building up to this being a big thing).

Edited by Sauce Dog

The show has been disappointing thus far. All of Boba's previous mystery and bad-assery is gone. I can understand him having to tell everyone and anyone that he is Boba Fett because without his helmet, no one would know. And he has his helmet off ALL the time. As he stated he is more intimidating with his armor.

Mandolorian raise the bar so much that this is missing the mark completely. Still going to watch, but my excitement for it has lowered.

I hope the next few episodes really bring everything together and goes well enough to where I am excited for a 2nd season.