• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT (2021)
6 6

809 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2022 at 11:57 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:
On 8/17/2022 at 11:33 AM, kimik said:

I thought it was better than the Oldie-One series.  (shrug)

Only because Mando showed up?

Rancor battle scene.

Oldie-One had so many plot issues and weak acting that it is the worst of the SW steaming piles so far.......

On 8/17/2022 at 12:34 PM, drotto said:

Even with the candy color Vespas, and Broadway level gang members?

Yes. Oldie-Wan was worse IMHO. I hated the kiddie tricycle gang in Boba, but it was a better story line and had some cooler aspects like Krssantan, Cad Bane and the Rancor. Even Vader could not save Oldie-Wan. I think that DIS has overplayed Vader at this point as well - he starts out basically omnipotent, and then he gets defeated. 

On 8/18/2022 at 10:47 AM, kimik said:

Yes. Oldie-Wan was worse IMHO. I hated the kiddie tricycle gang in Boba, but it was a better story line and had some cooler aspects like Krssantan, Cad Bane and the Rancor. Even Vader could not save Oldie-Wan. I think that DIS has overplayed Vader at this point as well - he starts out basically omnipotent, and then he gets defeated. 

Vader has become their panic button to try and rescue marginal to bad writing.  Granted, I did like Rogue One.

Edited by drotto

On 8/18/2022 at 8:57 AM, drotto said:

Vader has become their panic button to try and rescue marginal to bad writing.  Granted, I did like Rogue One.

Definitely. Just like CGI luke.

My issue with Vader now is that he is written/treated as just an angry padawan that never grew up. There is no depth/development to the character. He is, as you put well, the panic button. Just toss in Vader and everyone will gloss over the weak points.

Luke was unnecessary in The Mandalorian - the show was a critical and commercial success already. It was kind of cool, though. I grew up on the original trilogy, but the way fanboys were wetting themselves over his appearance was a bigger surprise than the appearance itself.

Vader was unnecessary in Rogue One in my opinion, but it was great to finally see him portrayed onscreen as he was described in countless novels and comics - an utterly remorseless murderer of billions, 100% beholden to Palpatine and his machinations, fueled by anger and hate for himself. I did not expect (or want) to see Vader fight Obi-Wan, and what I got out of it is that Vader had a weakness towards Obi-Wan similar to the one he had towards Luke in the original trilogy. Ten years deep into the dark side, he should have been able to snap Obi-Wan's neck at 1,000 yards. Obi-Wan was considered a superior lightsaber duelist, but wasn't particularly strong in The Force as Jedi go.

After wrapping up more than a year ago, Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett fans have wondered when, or if, the beloved bounty hunter would make another appearance, particularly in a Season 2 of the series, with star Temuera Morrison recently addressing his uncertain future with the character. The actor claimed that there have been some "cutbacks" happening behind the scenes at The Walt Disney Company that could be impacting Boba Fett's future, so this lack of an update seems like it is doubtful that Fett will be appearing again anytime soon. Morrison did, however, have a brief cameo in Season 3 of The Mandalorian as a former clone trooper.

"I think there is a few changes going on. We also come under the big umbrella known as 'Disney' now, too," Morrison shared at the SUPANOVA Comic Con & Gaming convention in Melbourne, Australia, per MSN. "So it's one of the last few conversations we had in L.A. The conversation started like, 'Oh, look we're having a few changes. We're having a few cutbacks.' And when you hear that at the other end of the line, it's no good trying to negotiate any more money that's for sure. So we'll see what happens."

If they don’t have a season 2 BoBF, I don’t know if they will carry the character forward. Maybe a small part in the Filoni movie.

With that said, I could see him return as one of the old clones. Preferably, Captain Rex. That could fit in perfectly in Ahsoka/Rebels S5

On 4/25/2023 at 8:47 AM, awakeintheashes said:

If they don’t have a season 2 BoBF, I don’t know if they will carry the character forward. Maybe a small part in the Filoni movie.

With that said, I could see him return as one of the old clones. Preferably, Captain Rex. That could fit in perfectly in Ahsoka/Rebels S5

I think once Temuera Morrison started complaining how Boba Fett was too talkative in Season One and therefore losing his air of mystery that made the character a mainstay, the creators probably got concerned. But I have to agree, what makes Boba Fett the character we all look forward to was altered.

On 4/25/2023 at 9:03 AM, Bosco685 said:

I think once Temuera Morrison started complaining how Boba Fett was too talkative in Season One and therefore losing his air of mystery that made the character a mainstay, the creators probably got concerned. But I have to agree, what makes Boba Fett the character we all look forward to was altered.

I think the only way they could have told a story about his resurrection and path toward redemption had already been done with Mando. 

I agree that the way his character was portrayed and evolved did not square with 40 years of nostalgia for many. However, there wasn’t much to go on. Similar to Han Solo, they popularity was driven by swagger and nostalgia. 

His origin story throughout Clone Wars should have been the blueprint and saw him reconnecting with the Bounty Hunters that raised him/ran around with with back then. If he were to atone for any sins, that should have been the vehicle IMO, but there would have probably been too much reliance on stuff that happened in Clone Wars, which already felt more like side stories than advancing the main plot. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 4/25/2023 at 9:26 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Similar to Han Solo, they popularity was driven by swagger and nostalgia.

Han and Fett were both popular because of mystery. It's part of that "swagger". Once Star Wars aired the dirty laundry and removed that, the character is no longer as interesting because there's less to fantasize about.

On 4/25/2023 at 9:52 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Han and Fett were both popular because of mystery. It's part of that "swagger". Once Star Wars aired the dirty laundry and removed that, the character is no longer as interesting because there's less to fantasize about.

I agree. The problem with Boba Fett is that he wasn’t really that important of a character. Aside from being an unaltered clone of Jango, his importance could be debated. He wasn’t the best bounty Hunter. That was Cad Bane. Giving him an organic story (not relying on Clone Wars), like we got with Mando, was going to be tough. I think he could have swagger, but it would have relied on him settling old scores, which I thought we were going to get based on the final scene of S2 of Mando  

The whole show should have been building up to the Fett/Bane showdown instead of 2 episodes. That showdown needed to happen, but the way we got it should have been done completely differently. It would have given Fett the respect he deserved. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 4/25/2023 at 9:52 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Agreed. I think the common reference point is Boba Fett had all of 5-6 minutes in the original trilogy, yet he became this huge character from his appearances leading to action figures, comic books and fanatics wanting to know more.

On 4/25/2023 at 2:00 PM, drotto said:

I think redeeming the character was a massive mistake.  The "good" Mandalorian role has already been filled, there was no reason two have two characters fill that space. Boba should have been left mysterious and "bad." 

I agree. At best he should have been someone operating in the grey area. 

On 4/25/2023 at 2:35 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I agree. At best he should have been someone operating in the grey area. 

Man, I want to see THAT SHOW as that is exactly what I was thinking earlier today.

If they had taken us through the World of Star Wars and had Boba Fett appear at key scenes to deliver a critical kill or capture - that would have been so cool depending on how the creators approached the story.

The problem that Boba Fett encountered was that they did not reveal ENOUGH about the character.   Lucas actually gave more of a story to Boba through his "father" Jango in Episode II and then later with Filoni's story in the Clone Wars. 

From 1980 until 1991's Heir to the Empire you had too many fanboys developing their own separate head cannon.  You have had too many people try to fill in the gaps without much real direction during that time period.  An entire generation went on bits and pieces of incoherent storytelling across books and games and short stories and then decided on their own who Boba Fett is.

Sure it creates an aurora of mystery.

The problem with that? 

When you want to do ANY story with Boba Fett it will never live up to the head cannon of what people feel the character SHOULD be.

Boba Fett?  I liked the series. It was fun to watch Morrisson play the character.  I like how he was brought back.  I enjoyed the characterization.  The scene where he marches into Jabba's dungeon and kills off Bob Fortuna rolling his body away was perhaps a highlight of Disney+.  Fett was on a mission.  Privately though, on the side, I don't mind if he talks a bit more.   I enjoyed the ride.

Did it do enough to watch again if the character has more screen time?  I would be disappointed if I never saw Boba Fett and Fennec Shand appear again. 

I would also be disappointed if Captain Rex does not appear in the live action Rebels Ahsoka.