• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT (2021)
6 6

809 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2021 at 11:34 AM, 1Cool said:

I saw the 1st episode last night and I was meh.  I'm hoping it gets a lot better as it goes since it felt flat and lifeless.  

I understand this take, but one thing to keep in mind is that they had to convey about 10-15 years worth of Star Wars time and answer about 40 years of fan theories in 30 minutes. 

Mando was a blank slate. 

I think we are in for a pretty epic space crime drama. But, time will tell. 

On 12/30/2021 at 2:04 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I understand this take, but one thing to keep in mind is that they had to convey about 10-15 years worth of Star Wars time and answer about 40 years of fan theories in 30 minutes. 

Mando was a blank slate. 

I think we are in for a pretty epic space crime drama. But, time will tell. 

Actually it is only 5 years after RotJ, but yes, still time has passed.

On 12/30/2021 at 12:37 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I had this issue with GoT and realized it was my settings. Do you have a HDR/Dolby Vision capable TV? I know some TVs automatically switch settings when playing HDR and/or Dolby Vision content, which means you’ll have to change the settings for that profile as well as your regular SDR viewing settings. 

Also, if you are watching on an OLED tv, sometimes (with LG) the screen will dim after a while during prolonged dark scenes as to prevent against burn in/image retention. I didn’t notice on this show, but noticed it once on The Crown.  

Thank you.  appreciate it. I went through my settings when I was having some issues with the 4k and darkness. It still is an issue when it comes to how dark some scenes are shot.

This 30mins wasn't as bad as some. It was only some of the scenes and overall was very short compared to a lot of shows. Especially those set in dark/night(Haha unintentional but deserving Batmn Reference) , and space. 

It took me a while to find a happy medium with some of the streaming 4k and the Samsung 4k TV that I am using in my Family Room.

The Cheaper 4k in my Media Room/Spare room is even worse if there is any other light in the room, but when Blacked out it is actually really good. Still this is one of those things they could solve during shooting/production. Some of those dark scenes remind me of old games in caves where you can only make out very small areas at a time. 

Saw it.  Loved it.  Can't wait for the next ep.  'Nuff said. 

Watched it and the best thing was seeing 8D8. I'm very happy to have a speaking role for my most favourite character from RotJ. Poor droid is just itching to get back to doing what it loves...torturing! As always, great to see them revisit such characters who had limited screen time and mobility in the original films due to the limitations of the time (likewise I'm sure there are those who loved to see Gamorreans in actual action)

Otherwise, found it to be a fairly bland start and thought it visually looked a little poor (especially night scenes) when compared to Mandalorian. 

C+

Spoiler

Glad they started with the back story, settle some of this right off the bat. Looks like Boba gained about 25lbs in just a few days of being inside the Sarlacc LOL! How old is Boba supposed to be when he fell in the Sarlacc again?

Obvious homage to Leia/Carrie Fisher when he killed the Thark (or whatever that was, sure looked like a Thark from John Carter of Mars). I also saw they got some Boston Dynamic doggo-bots for background droids LOL!

Downsides: Fight scene with assassins was just lame, looked more like a rehearsal, so stiff. The "parquor" rooftop chase was equally lame. Biggest downside - Boba has no "aura", no mystique, no badass-ness. Certainly not the badass-ness we saw with him in The Mandalorian bashing Stormtroopers left and right. 

Will still watch, but really hope they put the enigmatic badassness back into the character. I wonder if telling too much of the story will deflate the Boba-aura. He needs less "kinder gentler" approach especially to those who directly challenge him. 

He also needs to assemble a solid posse, more than Fennec, a couple Gamorreans and droids. But I suppose that will be coming. 

On 12/31/2021 at 12:54 PM, jcjames said:

C+

Reveal hidden contents

Glad they started with the back story, settle some of this right off the bat. Looks like Boba gained about 25lbs in just a few days of being inside the Sarlacc LOL! How old is Boba supposed to be when he fell in the Sarlacc again?

Obvious homage to Leia/Carrie Fisher when he killed the Thark (or whatever that was, sure looked like a Thark from John Carter of Mars). I also saw they got some Boston Dynamic doggo-bots for background droids LOL!

Downsides: Fight scene with assassins was just lame, looked more like a rehearsal, so stiff. The "parquor" rooftop chase was equally lame. Biggest downside - Boba has no "aura", no mystique, no badass-ness. Certainly not the badass-ness we saw with him in The Mandalorian bashing Stormtroopers left and right. 

Will still watch, but really hope they put the enigmatic badassness back into the character. I wonder if telling too much of the story will deflate the Boba-aura. He needs less "kinder gentler" approach especially to those who directly challenge him. 

He also needs to assemble a solid posse, more than Fennec, a couple Gamorreans and droids. But I suppose that will be coming. 

If 

Spoiler

Crimson Dawn

really is looming in the background and continuing its rise back to power. S will get real, real quick. 

On 12/31/2021 at 6:43 PM, awakeintheashes said:

If 

Reveal hidden contents

Crimson Dawn

really is looming in the background and continuing its rise back to power. S will get real, real quick. 

And to follow up on this, I think Fett purposely went back to Tatooine to poke the bear. I don’t think he has any interest in ruling per se. I think he has a score to settle from the events of War of the Bounty Hunters, and taking over Jabba/Bib Fortuna’s criminal empire puts him on better footing to settle that score. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

C+ at best. The shield fight choreography and parkour nonsense after were painfully bad, it looked like a Broadway musical. Did he forget he has a jet pack? Why are they collecting protection money/tribute for the first time while unarmed? 

Not sure where they are going with this. He becomes a crime lord that doesn't want to commit crimes? 

I'll keep watching, but this was a pretty muddled and mediocre effort to kick things off. 

Edited by october

I'm still feeling generous from the holidays, so I'll give it a B.

Maybe Disney should have dropped it as a Christmas surprise, instead of letting expectations build-up for a year with no other live action Star Wars. It works better for me to think about it as Mandalorian Season 2.5 instead of a new show.

Part of the problem is I'm just tired of Tatooine. It seems like almost half of Star Wars takes place on the one planet Luke was trying to get away from. What I like about Mandalorian is that it hops around, and you get to see different places. This is like going back to visit your Small Town after college in the Big City.

Edited by adampasz

On 1/4/2022 at 11:40 AM, adampasz said:

Part of the problem is I'm just tired of Tatooine. It seems like almost half of Star Wars takes place on the one planet Luke was trying to get away from. What I like about Mandalorian is that it hops around, and you get to see different places. This is like going back to visit your Small Town after college in the Big City.

This is very true and I mentioned something similar to my wife last night. They are so beholden to fanservice and stuck in a loop of rehashing the same stuff in the same places. There's a whole damn galaxy worth of locations they can be doing new things with. Maybe it's symptomatic of a larger problem in Hollywood. Things are so expensive that taking any chances is hard. Easier and safer to relase another greatest hits album.

Despite loving Boba Fett for no reason other than just standing there and looking badace in the original trilogy, I was never really hyped for this show. Based on many reviews, I may be better off simply waiting for Season 3 of The Mandalorian for my next Star Wars kick.