• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master of Kung Fu appreciation thread
1 1

202 posts in this topic

Steranko is affable.

He is a master at his craft.

He does like himself some him.

I've met him several times over the years at shows, but I've never brought up Gulacy & therefore haven't had that experience.

There are some artists that do not like other artists they consider 'knock offs.'

Neal Adams comes to mind, as I've heard him disparage Mike Grell more than once, and he wasn't a fan of Seinkiewicz's early career stuff.

But I digress..:

I have always loved Gulacy's stuff. And I have heard other artists praise him as well, unprompted.

I also agree that MOKF would probably be a little more sought out by collectors if Gulacy had done more covers. The few he did are awesome.

I really like the work that Zeck put in on the run. You can see him getting better as he goes. I think he had some great covers in the run as well (#s 71, 83, 86, 89, 92, 97,101).

33 minutes ago, FoggyNelson said:

Under appreciated series , I only owned an read a few issues be they were always good 

is there an omnibus of this series? 

There are both giant HC omnibuses and smaller TPB collections. I went for the trades, myself. 

On 12/17/2020 at 10:04 PM, HighVoltage said:

I also agree that MOKF would probably be a little more sought out by collectors if Gulacy had done more covers. The few he did are awesome.

Although he did only a few of the MOKF covers after his run was over, you really have to absolutely love some of his interior layouts, as they were indeed very Sterankoesque like:  :luhv:

Kung Fu | Longbox Graveyard

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Must have been love at first sight for Shang Chi and his first encounter with Leiko Wu:  :luhv:

scn_0002.jpg?w=604&h=639

scn_0003.jpg?w=604&h=582

This is a great example of what I hope the movie can duplicate... some of that James Bond vibe.

MOKF had so much spy stuff in it. It just seems like the movie could connect on a number of things: thriller, spy/intrigue, martial arts

There's a good cast of villains with some cool visual looks too.

35 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

You can clearly see that Gulacy was in fine form by MOKF 38 and doing what some would say was a poor man's version of Steranko's layout and artistic style by that time, as that splash page certainly brought back the darkened alleyway splash by Steranko in one of the Captain America issues:  :luhv:  

Master of Kung Fu Vol 1 38 | Marvel Database | Fandom

Comic Book Cats, number 22: Master of Kung Fu #38 – First Comics News

The Comics Reporter

Nice panels.  The advantage of mylar and raw comics

27 minutes ago, ganni said:

Nice panels.  The advantage of mylar and raw comics

Definitely no mylar here as that's way too expensive to store raw comics for me, except for my GA books which have higher dollar value.  :gossip:

This thread made me go look for my MOKF books (sadly the Gulacy issues only :frown:) and I found them buried deep down at the bottom of a big apple box, all stored away brick style with 5 books per those original old poly bags from some 45 years ago.  :bigsmile:  (thumbsu

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

This thread made me go look for my MOKF books (sadly the Gulacy issues only :frown:) and I found them buried deep down at the bottom of a big apple box, all stored away brick style with 5 books per those original old poly bags from some 45 years ago.  :bigsmile:  

Polybags are good after 45 years.  Pages look great.

I am going to confess, I do not believe I have ever read one of these. But i decided to set up a short box to put them in as I organized my collection, figuring they should be handy if demand for filler issues picks up (I only have one copy of #15 left, a few of 16, etc). Apparently, every time I bought bronze age books I seem to have bought a few of these. The short box is now stuffed. I keep on finding a few of these in every "unsorted" box I come across. I may need a magazine box. So I have a magazine box full of a title I have never read. This is mental illness.