• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

Finally, it can be told: Harry Lennix will be the Martian Manhunter in the upcoming event we have come to know as Zack Snyder's Justice League. As part of an upcoming installment in our Collider Connected video interview series, the veteran stage and screen actor confirmed that his appearance in the upcoming HBO Max miniseries The Snyder Cut will reveal that the character he played in the first two Snyder Superman films was secretly comic book favorite J'onn J'onzz this whole time.

After many recent hints dropped on social media — including Snyder revealing some storyboards featuring how the Manhunter would have appeared in his original version — it's confirmed that not only is Martian Manhunter in the Snyder Cut, but that Lennix has now shot the necessary footage to complete the character's appearance.

As Lennix explains, he had no idea about his character's secret identity when he was cast in Man of Steel as General Swanwick, believing it to be a "one and done" situation initially. And when he was brought back for Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, he was still given no clues about the character's real identity.

That changed with Justice League, but even then "I never saw the -script. I didn't get a chance to read the -script, because... they were still being developed, and they keep all of that under lock and key," he said. Due to his shooting schedule on The Blacklist complicating things, he was never able to film the footage necessary for that appearance before Snyder left the film.

The shapeshifting, telepathic Martian Manhunter was originally created by the 1950s by writer Joseph Samachson and artist Joe Certa, and was previously played on screen by Phil Morris on Smallville and by David Harewood in the Arrow-verse series (primarily Supergirl).

While Lennix had not known much about the character before signing onto the DCEU, as a huge fan of Superman and comic book characters he's thrilled to be officially playing a founding member of the Justice League. "It's going to be great to be up there with Batman and Superman and my pals," he said. "Yeah, I'm once again like a kid at a candy store."

1 hour ago, RickSp said:

Hopefully the reveal of his look will be saved for the film itself. I've read rumours that there will be 1 more trailer to come before the release in March and as much as I'd love to see some new stuff I also think it would be nice to leave a few surprises.

There has definitely been plenty of chatter about one more trailer. But I also agree - save the surprises for when it comes out. No more BVS Doomsday reveals in advance.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Imagine if that had been closely guarded and then the reveal happened? That would have been incredible.

People still would've b^&*hed. People often forget that Eisenberg is Alexander Luthor, and that "Doomsday" is not the original Doomsday.

It would've been a cool reveal, but like Zemo in Civil War, it doesn't really change the dynamic of the Theatrical Cut. 2c

IMO Wonder Woman would have been a better choice to play close to the vest. The trinity on-screen is something special.

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Imagine if that had been closely guarded and then the reveal happened? That would have been incredible.

Hulk in Ragnarok. Totally unnecessary trailer reveal that would have absolutely floored audiences.  They didn’t show Giant Man in the Civil War trailers and that was cool as hell!  Yes there was the Lego set that gave it away early but normal people  (not any of us 😆 )didn’t know.  I can’t understand why they don’t bother to keep a lid on this stuff. Is the hype train not hyping enough? 

46 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

Hulk in Ragnarok. Totally unnecessary trailer reveal that would have absolutely floored audiences.  They didn’t show Giant Man in the Civil War trailers and that was cool as hell!  Yes there was the Lego set that gave it away early but normal people  (not any of us 😆 )didn’t know.  I can’t understand why they don’t bother to keep a lid on this stuff. Is the hype train not hyping enough? 

I so wish we could get back to big cinema surprises and not feed into the social media demands 'I NEED MORE TRAILERS!' Those folks are ruining it for the rest of us.

Imagine if Darth Vader being Luke's dad had been revealed in a trailer how boring that final movie scene would have been. Sad.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Imagine if Darth Vader being Luke's dad had been revealed in a trailer how boring that final movie scene would have been. Sad.

In this day and age that tidbit would either have been in a trailer as you said, or it would have been spoiled on the internet.  

2 hours ago, media_junkie said:

In this day and age that tidbit would either have been in a trailer as you said, or it would have been spoiled on the internet.  

How about hearing from people leaving the theater as you are on the way in.

Happened to me and my best friends, luckily we thought it was BS and enjoyed the surprise.

14 hours ago, bentbryan said:

I think that Hulk may have been too involved in Ragnarok to keep out of trailers.

Honestly, I'm not sure if having 3 trailers for movies is all that necessary. Maybe it is, otherwise people might forget about certain projects? You're releasing about 10 mins per movie with the way things currently are.

10 hours ago, The Brain said:

Happened to me and my best friends, luckily we thought it was BS and enjoyed the surprise.

I've always tried to keep chatter on the DL while walking out. I typically ride with other people, or go to someone else's place, afterwards. We'll usually take a deep-dive on the way back. Especially with Infinity War and Endgame.

I can't remember what movie it was, but someone spoiled something while walking out for me awhile ago. I think my younger brother said that someone spoiled Han's death. People just have no patience or awareness when yapping their gums.

In regards to movie trailers, I often wonder if just a well made teaser would be enough to draw in the same level of audience.

The first Man Of Steel teaser was excellent, barely showed you a thing but gave the impression of something grand. However without the full on action trailer following further down the line, would people have still flocked to see it?

On 1/13/2021 at 7:55 PM, The Brain said:

I did hear about the reveal  before the movie came out because a friend of mine got ahold of the novelization. I was so pizzed off..

After Snyder left Justice League for personal reasons, Joss Whedon was brought in to finish the film. Fisher would later claim “gross, abusive, unprofessional, and completely unacceptable” behavior from Whedon on set, behavior Fisher alleged was not only condoned, but enabled by certain Warner Bros. executives. As the hashtag #IStandWithRayFisher was trending, Fisher was dropped from his role in the upcoming Flash standalone film and appeared to be done working with Warner Bros. and the DCEU, aside from his role in the upcoming Snyder Cut of Justice League.

A fan asked Fisher on social media if, now that he was no longer participating in the Flash movie, would he star in Justice League 2. Fisher explained:

"I’d definitely pick up the phone. There’s no way I wouldn’t pick up the phone, that’s crazy. Even if he just called me to say what’s up, that phone is getting picked up. He could be like, “Yo, I’m gonna do a Dawn of the Dead 2 and we want you to play a zombie,” I’d be like, just put me way in the back, I’m fine with that."

So it's a 4 hour movie according to recent posts on Snyder's Vero account, no longer thought of as a 4 part mini series.

I actually don't mind that as it means getting the whole thing in one go, maybe there will be an obvious half way point for anyone starting it too late in the evening!

28 minutes ago, RickSp said:

So it's a 4 hour movie according to recent posts on Snyder's Vero account, no longer thought of as a 4 part mini series.

I actually don't mind that as it means getting the whole thing in one go, maybe there will be an obvious half way point for anyone starting it too late in the evening!

I saw the social media excitement from some looking to complain about any JL news. Someone then pointed out to them compared to when they binge their favorite show dropped in one shot (8-10 hours), 4 hours sure isn't that bad.

But I'll hold off to see what HBO Max finally announces.