• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
17 17

1,470 posts in this topic

Time for an update, showing last three sales for raw and CGC 9.8s. Overall don't really appear to see gains as a result of the Obi-Wan Kenobi series or the recent show announcements.

High Republic 1 (cover A)

• Raw -  $21.50 / $34.99 (best offer) / $39.95 
  • CGC 9.8 - $127.50 / $124.99 (best offer) / $115.00  

I really like the $125.00 price point for the CGC 9.8, I believe its strong enough for me to send in my ~20 raw copies to CGC.

High Republic Adventures 1

• Raw - $9.99 (best offer) / $6.20 / $10.50
  • CGC 9.8 - $60.00 (best offer) / $66.00 / $59.99

Still haven't seen this one reach its potential. Reasonable to assume it was ordered less than the Marvel High Republic series, this should pop eventually.

High Republic Adventures 2

• Raw - $19.99 (best offer) / $19.95 / $20.88
  • CGC 9.8 - $76.51 / $85.00 (best offer) / $101.99

The CGC 9.8 has dropped as expected, supply has met the demand. I doubt it will fall farther, $80 to $100 is a good range for it.

The 1:10 continues to be really hot. The colours look great on it, nice book to have slabbed.

Jabba the Hutt Bounty Hunters 1 (cover B) (1st Deva Lompop)

• Raw - $6.50 / $17.99 (best offer) / $15.10
  • CGC 9.8 - $65.00 / $51.00 / $43.00

The CGC 9.8s are still pretty cheap, not worth grading at this price, but perhaps a good time to buy the regular covers and a variant if they pop up for a good price.

High Republic Adventures - Monster of Temple Peak 1

• Raw - $6.26 / $12.46 / $8.99 (best offer)
  • CGC 9.8 - $129.99 / $135.50 / $95.36

My copies of this book are all damaged, multiple spine ticks, might be a hard book to get in 9.8?

Edited by eddly

On 5/22/2022 at 4:48 PM, Tnexus said:

I'll be curious if the Mandalorian holds its value once the show's run ends later this year.

Season 3 starts next year in Feb.

Season 4 is already being worked on.

Mandalorian will be around for a long time

I would expect SWHRA 1 to really jump when the first trailer/teaser for the up coming cartoon hits… so many first appearances in that book, plus Ro cameo…

SWHRA 6 is another interesting book.  A lot of first appearances for characters from 100-200 years back, and if phase 2 of SWHR is going back in time…

Temple Peak 1 is a rough book to find in grade, but they’re out there.  Keep looking!

Thanks for the info, eddly!

Edited by CheeseFrog

So what is the consensus on what Rebels first appearance is the must have?  Kanan 1 or Rebels Magazine 1?  There are so many Kanan 1's out there that the Magazine may end up the winner due to scarcity, especially in high grades.  

Thought it would be relevant to see what people's thoughts are since the characters are on their way to the live screen.

On 6/4/2022 at 10:28 AM, eddly said:

Time for an update, showing last three sales for raw and CGC 9.8s. Overall don't really appear to see gains as a result of the Obi-Wan Kenobi series or the recent show announcements.

High Republic 1 (cover A)

• Raw -  $21.50 / $34.99 (best offer) / $39.95 
  • CGC 9.8 - $127.50 / $124.99 (best offer) / $115.00  

I really like the $125.00 price point for the CGC 9.8, I believe its strong enough for me to send in my ~20 raw copies to CGC.

High Republic Adventures 1

• Raw - $9.99 (best offer) / $6.20 / $10.50
  • CGC 9.8 - $60.00 (best offer) / $66.00 / $59.99

Still haven't seen this one reach its potential. Reasonable to assume it was ordered less than the Marvel High Republic series, this should pop eventually.

High Republic Adventures 2

• Raw - $19.99 (best offer) / $19.95 / $20.88
  • CGC 9.8 - $76.51 / $85.00 (best offer) / $101.99

The CGC 9.8 has dropped as expected, supply has met the demand. I doubt it will fall farther, $80 to $100 is a good range for it.

The 1:10 continues to be really hot. The colours look great on it, nice book to have slabbed.

Jabba the Hutt Bounty Hunters 1 (cover B) (1st Deva Lompop)

• Raw - $6.50 / $17.99 (best offer) / $15.10
  • CGC 9.8 - $65.00 / $51.00 / $43.00

The CGC 9.8s are still pretty cheap, not worth grading at this price, but perhaps a good time to buy the regular covers and a variant if they pop up for a good price.

High Republic Adventures - Monster of Temple Peak 1

• Raw - $6.26 / $12.46 / $8.99 (best offer)
  • CGC 9.8 - $129.99 / $135.50 / $95.36

My copies of this book are all damaged, multiple spine ticks, might be a hard book to get in 9.8?

The other thought is to start subbing some of the cheaper books now so you have them on hand for when they start to pop. Do a few of them each month and keep the in-hand/in-process pipeline stocked.

On 6/4/2022 at 4:57 PM, kimik said:

The other thought is to start subbing some of the cheaper books now so you have them on hand for when they start to pop. Do a few of them each month and keep the in-hand/in-process pipeline stocked.

That is a good approach. I'm stuck in the mindset that I have to wait for it to make sense to submit all 10 copies I have of a book all at once. Here's the submission I have put together so far, mostly Star Wars:

Star Wars: High Republic 1 (cover A) x 14 - left out 6 that I don't think can hit 9.8

Star Wars: High Republic 1 (Hans) x 1 

Star Wars: High Republic Adventures: The Monster of Temple Peak x 1 - leaving out another 9 copies that I don't think can hit 9.8

Star Wars: High Republic Adventures 2 (Retailer Incentive) x 1

Detective Comics 583 x 1 (probably 9.4, 9.6 on a good day)

Spider-Man 1 (Silver) x 2 

Maybe the following 5 to get to 25 books:

Star Wars: High Republic Adventures 2 x 3 - I have 7 more

Star Wars: High Republic Adventures 1 x 1 - I have about 20 more

War of the Bounty Hunters - Jabba the Hutt 1 (Cover B) x 1 - I have 9 more

Edited by eddly

On 6/4/2022 at 6:57 PM, kimik said:

This is basically what I’ve been doing. If a book explodes while it’s at cgc I’ve got raw dupes ready to list that were originally in the monthly queue for CGC.

On 6/4/2022 at 5:52 PM, CheeseFrog said:

Must haves to me are Kanan 1, 6, and 10. 

LOL! I just noticed you bought one of my WOTB Jabba 1:25 this evening. Talk about a small world. I've been slowly sending these in to CGC, sucks since I paid a premium on these but glad they did come back as 9.8s.

On 6/4/2022 at 11:47 PM, captainzombie said:

LOL! I just noticed you bought one of my WOTB Jabba 1:25 this evening. Talk about a small world. I've been slowly sending these in to CGC, sucks since I paid a premium on these but glad they did come back as 9.8s.

Hah! Small world indeed…

Go Team Lompop! :)

On 6/4/2022 at 10:47 PM, captainzombie said:

Any more for sale for cheap?

On 6/5/2022 at 9:48 AM, eddly said:

Any more for sale for cheap?

This one was slabbed and it wasn't cheap either, I think it sold for around $255 in a 9.8. I probably should of kept it for a few months, but need to recoup some of my CGC fees. LOL!

On 6/5/2022 at 9:24 AM, captainzombie said:

This one was slabbed and it wasn't cheap either, I think it sold for around $255 in a 9.8. I probably should of kept it for a few months, but need to recoup some of my CGC fees. LOL!

Wow. Looks like I need to send mine in now or risk missing the spec peak.

When you all submit these moderns to CGC, do you always have them pressed? It seems like the value difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 in moderns is huge, and I’d be worried that my grading acumen isn’t high enough to spot sure-fire 9.8s.  Does pressing measurably increase the chance for a 9.8?

On 6/5/2022 at 5:18 PM, Dergrosse13 said:

When you all submit these moderns to CGC, do you always have them pressed? It seems like the value difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 in moderns is huge, and I’d be worried that my grading acumen isn’t high enough to spot sure-fire 9.8s.  Does pressing measurably increase the chance for a 9.8?

Unless I see defects that can be fixed with a press, I don’t send to be pressed. I do pre-screen 9.8 for pretty much all my modern submissions, though. I’d recommend that if you have enough books to send in to qualify for pre-screen. 

On 6/5/2022 at 2:18 PM, Dergrosse13 said:

As pointed out by @awakeintheashes, using CGC prescreen is a great option. You will need to better your grading skills and learn what a raw 9.8 book looks like in order to avoid too many rejects at $8 per book.  Then carefully select books when they are released or preorder in quantity certain issues that you believe will have future potential.  I rarely press books.  It would have to be worth the extra expense and the time that it would take to get them back.

On 6/5/2022 at 4:18 PM, Dergrosse13 said:

I have several presses here at home, so I press my moderns before sending them out to CGC. I just don't trust CGC to begin with and even the slightest wavyness on a book worries me, especially with the Marvel books.

On 6/5/2022 at 9:51 PM, captainzombie said:

I have several presses here at home, so I press my moderns before sending them out to CGC. I just don't trust CGC to begin with and even the slightest wavyness on a book worries me, especially with the Marvel books.

It is funny how McFarlane can put out spawn books with cardstock covers for $2.99, yet Marvel cannot get decent cover stock at $3.99+.........