• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
17 17

1,470 posts in this topic

On 6/6/2022 at 12:17 AM, kimik said:

It is funny how McFarlane can put out spawn books with cardstock covers for $2.99, yet Marvel cannot get decent cover stock at $3.99+.........

It is a real shame and it drives me nuts when Image does a much better job with most of their books at $3 a pop vs. Marvel and their $4-5 price tags. I went to press my Miles Spiderman #38 1:50 that I received this past week since there was the typical Marvel waviness and the paper for this book was such , it took me a second pressing to just get it out and then I have had it sitting under a cold press now for the next few days. I probably should not of even messed with the book, but you know how picky they are at CGC.

On 6/5/2022 at 11:17 PM, kimik said:

It is funny how McFarlane can put out spawn books with cardstock covers for $2.99, yet Marvel cannot get decent cover stock at $3.99+.........

He doesn’t need to pay a corporate tree of various employees like Marvel and DC do.  He runs lean and mean.

Mandalorian issue 2 1:50 pre sales are getting pricey.

Spec is the first full of Grogu.  Nabbed issue 1 1:50 a ways back, but if the book is like the show it sounds like first full Grogu has a good chance of being in issue 2.

Wednesday morning, if issue 1 is just a cameo those issue 2 copies are going to blow up. 

Real close to pre ordering an issue 2 1:50… makes me nervous lol. Nice cover…

87D45021-967B-484D-96D0-001CB293B930.png

Edited by CheeseFrog

On 7/8/2022 at 10:48 AM, CheeseFrog said:

Mandalorian issue 2 1:50 pre sales are getting pricey.

Spec is the first full of Grogu.  Nabbed issue 1 1:50 a ways back, but if the book is like the show it sounds like first full Grogu has a good chance of being in issue 2.

Wednesday morning, if issue 1 is just a cameo those issue 2 copies are going to blow up. 

Real close to pre ordering an issue 2 1:50… makes me nervous lol. Nice cover…

87D45021-967B-484D-96D0-001CB293B930.png

I was watching a video on YT earlier, it appears that issue #2 will be the first full appearance of Grogu. I'll probably just preorder issue 2 1:50 and just leave the 1:10 and 1:25 that I have for issue #1. I guess those will be ordered to the moon for sure and won't be worth as much, have to wonder if the #1 1:50 is also even worth going after at these prices since its just a cameo.

Edited by captainzombie

On 7/9/2022 at 7:11 PM, captainzombie said:

I was watching a video on YT earlier, it appears that issue #2 will be the first full appearance of Grogu. I'll probably just preorder issue 2 1:50 and just leave the 1:10 and 1:25 that I have for issue #1. I guess those will be ordered to the moon for sure and won't be worth as much, have to wonder if the #1 1:50 is also even worth going after at these prices since its just a cameo.

My wondering is done… I’m in for two copies of 1:50 for issue 1 and 2.

I guess if they’re printing 200,000 copies or so, 1:50’s will number in the 4,000’s ish.  I think… I’m an artist, so math… 

On 7/9/2022 at 7:42 PM, CheeseFrog said:

My wondering is done… I’m in for two copies of 1:50 for issue 1 and 2.

I guess if they’re printing 200,000 copies or so, 1:50’s will number in the 4,000’s ish.  I think… I’m an artist, so math… 

I just ordered a #2 1:50 off of one of these eBay sellers, where did you get yours from? I just now need to get a #1 1:50, might as well grab one of these and sell off the other variants once I get those.

Question for 'the CGC brain trust' -
How are comic appearances of characters from other media sources (books / TV / movies / video games) considered their first appearance and why do they sell at a premium? 
Honest question, no shade.
I've seen this also referenced in relation to 'Alien', 'Predator', and 'The Last of Us'.

I understand a price bump when characters move from the printed page to TV / movie, but to have it the other way seems odd.

Edited by Troy Division

On 7/9/2022 at 8:48 PM, CheeseFrog said:

On 7/9/2022 at 8:49 PM, CheeseFrog said:

I picked up an issue 1 1:50 from your vendor.  Have used him before as well…

Thanks! Glad to hear that you have used this person before. I think I have used your vendor before too. LOL!

Hopefully we get some nice copies from these sellers.

I think with due time this whole series will be hot as there are a lot of first appearances throughout. I think I will for sure stick with Cover A and then a 1:50 on each book, and if no 1:50 then will get the 1:25.

On 7/9/2022 at 6:54 PM, Troy Division said:

How are comic appearances of characters from other media sources (books / TV / movies / video games) considered their first appearance and why do they sell at a premium? 
I've seen this also referenced in relation to 'Alien', 'Predator', and 'The Last of Us'.

I understand a price bump when characters move from the printed page to TV / movie, but to have it the other way seems odd.

Some of these new Star Wars characters have actually appeared in other media before the movies/ TV shows.  Ashoka and the Rebels were both introduced in a magazine before appearing in the Clone Wars/Rebels show.  

I agree that literal adaptations shouldn't hold as much weight when we have seen the characters prior to.  That being said, even the original Star Wars 1 from 1977 came out before the movie.  Star Wars fans are a big segment of any collectible market.

On 7/10/2022 at 1:11 AM, captainzombie said:

Ordered x2 of the 1:50 variant of #2 -- but what a cover! Which video would that be, I wonder?

On 7/9/2022 at 8:54 PM, Troy Division said:

It doesn't make much sense to me either really, but the market is what it is.

On 7/11/2022 at 10:36 AM, Lord Gemini said:

It doesn't make much sense to me either really, but the market is what it is.

I can tell you 3 years ago pretty much no one wanted Star Wars comics including 1st apps like 1977's SW #1. I'm pretty confident that pump and dumpers just saw an opportunity and pushed them as the next best thing.