• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
17 17

1,470 posts in this topic

Other SW books that might be of interest from yesterday's FOC are Bounty Hunters #26 Sprouse (1st Reva - I know the character was weak in the D+ Obi-Wan, but if there is a season 2 she will be back), and if you want to gamble there is also Han Solo & Chewbacca #5 Lopez 1:25 variant (apparently 1st Buck Vancto cover appearance).

On 7/13/2022 at 11:29 AM, Bart Allen said:

When asked if Grogu's full appearance is in issue #1:

929c669d5cc617d808cabbc00a16422a.png

:x:x:x

So, the message is that readers/collectors/speculators should buy piles of copies of both so my cut of the proceeds is higher...........

Edited by kimik

On 7/13/2022 at 6:42 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

Haha, considering that his face and hand is practically his whole body, it's pretty much a full first appearance.  

Well at least we know it's clearly a cameo at the end -- #2 is his first full appearance then ~

On 7/13/2022 at 5:40 PM, CheeseFrog said:

I’ve seen this debated a number of times. :p 

Not sure what's the debate about. It's done by a comic company and can be slabbed. The only difference is it's about 3 comics thick.

On 7/13/2022 at 5:40 PM, CheeseFrog said:
On 7/13/2022 at 2:01 PM, Tnexus said:

I hate to disappoint everyone, but these are not Mando's and Grogu's 1st comic app. This is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Mandalorian-Season-Graphic/dp/1804910473/

I’ve seen this debated a number of times. :p 

Yup, and wallets right now are saying, not interested.

Down the road, though, it could be a key collectible for collectors who like ancillary items with their standard format comics.

On 7/14/2022 at 12:22 AM, Tnexus said:

Not sure what's the debate about. It's done by a comic company and can be slabbed. The only difference is it's about 3 comics thick.

If I recall correctly the TPB are image stills from the show.  

So the two qualities of the TPB that raise questions about a legitimate first appearance in comic books are the format, and the lack of translation to the comic book medium, which is illustrative.

The photographic stills in the TPB are just abbreviations of something we’ve already seen on D+.

It’s like a series of postcards from the show.  Wish you were here… Tattooine is for lovers… looking for love in Alderran places. 

They drew Grogu like a stoned Gremlin in that last panel. 

Edited by CheeseFrog

On 7/15/2022 at 12:26 AM, CheeseFrog said:

Mando Issue 2 1:50 now only has a handful of listings (4) left up on EBay, with prices reaching $90-$125. 

Conversely Mando issue 1 1:50 now has a ton of listings up, and the price is holding steady from what I can see.

That'll change when everyone realises #2 is Grogu's full appearance ~

Mando #1 still is 1st Din so there will be some value for it long term. Now, if you paid top dollar you might want to bail, but if you got it for cover (or at a discount to cover) then you are fine.

On 7/15/2022 at 7:50 PM, kimik said:

Mando #1 still is 1st Din so there will be some value for it long term. Now, if you paid top dollar you might want to bail, but if you got it for cover (or at a discount to cover) then you are fine.

Mando 1 is a great book… lots of firsts.

On 7/14/2022 at 7:33 AM, CheeseFrog said:

If I recall correctly the TPB are image stills from the show.  

So the two qualities of the TPB that raise questions about a legitimate first appearance in comic books are the format, and the lack of translation to the comic book medium, which is illustrative.

The photographic stills in the TPB are just abbreviations of something we’ve already seen on D+.

It’s like a series of postcards from the show.  Wish you were here… Tattooine is for lovers… looking for love in Alderran places. 

They drew Grogu like a stoned Gremlin in that last panel. 

I would argue that "comics" and "sequential art" are interchangeable, and need not necessarily be drawn. We've seen comics that are painted, or created digitally; I don't see why photographic images should be disqualified as a method of presenting images sequentially in the comic art form. (Some might argue that that definition means that movies and television are also comics, but unlike comics, those formats are continuous images, which sets them apart.) For the record, I don't own, nor am I chasing, any of these books.

On 7/15/2022 at 11:01 PM, CheeseFrog said:

Mando 1 is a great book… lots of firsts.

For sure and Mando #2 seems to keep increasing in price with the pre-orders. It might not be a bad idea to get all of the 1:50s for the entire series considering there are many first appearance probably in each issue. While these may not be worth all the crazy much right now, I can see in 10-20 years being worth quite a bit as this generation of kids grow up with Star Wars Mando as their Star Wars. Same can be said with The High Republic whenever that comes out.