• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
17 17

1,470 posts in this topic

On 7/16/2022 at 11:05 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I would argue that "comics" and "sequential art" are interchangeable, and need not necessarily be drawn. We've seen comics that are painted, or created digitally; I don't see why photographic images should be disqualified as a method of presenting images sequentially in the comic art form. (Some might argue that that definition means that movies and television are also comics, but unlike comics, those formats are continuous images, which sets them apart.) For the record, I don't own, nor am I chasing, any of these books.

It’s definitely an interesting topic to discuss!

Comics and sequential art can make use of any medium.  Drawing, painting, digital illustrations, photography, lights, coffee stains, tiles, etc…

In regards to the Mando TPB, what I’m describing above is void of translation from one medium to another.  

For example, the show being originally broadcast on D+, is essentially a sequential series of images that when played at 30 frames a second imitates a picture that moves.

Taking a small number of those frames and printing them in a book is not a translation to the comic medium, but rather an abbreviation of the original video archive.

Thats speaking in a strict sense!  I don’t own the TPB we’re discussing, and have never looked at it aside from a few pictures online.

Artistic liberty could be expressed in that small collection of images if any cropping or base level composition adjustments were made to support the telling of the story within the comic medium.

I suppose in that case, what started out as 1:1 shots from frame stills would now be frame shots that have gone through a translation (cropping, framing) to the medium to better support the story. 

The question would then be how many of the panels need to have undergone that level of editing?  All?  At least one? Is the written dialog the exact same as the show? Also a medium that could need adaptation from video to print…

It really is an interesting discussion from an artistic point of view. 

Looks like Deathstick was seriously considered to appear in Season 2 of Mandalorian. - Link

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cf638UlLRXb/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 7/16/2022 at 10:13 AM, captainzombie said:

For sure and Mando #2 seems to keep increasing in price with the pre-orders. It might not be a bad idea to get all of the 1:50s for the entire series considering there are many first appearance probably in each issue. While these may not be worth all the crazy much right now, I can see in 10-20 years being worth quite a bit as this generation of kids grow up with Star Wars Mando as their Star Wars. Same can be said with The High Republic whenever that comes out.

+1. The same can be said for all of the HR 1:10s/1:25s and HR Advs 1:10s from the first series of both titles, as well as the minis and one-shots.

The bonus for the Mando comics is that you already know that D+ is built in for the characters. The only question left is movies.

Edited by kimik

On 7/17/2022 at 8:58 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Looks like Deathstick was seriously considered to appear in Season 2 of Mandalorian. - Link

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cf638UlLRXb/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Yeah. They need to make that happen sooner or later - I am sure most of us here have stacks of her 1st app ready for it.

It is interesting to see the current pricing on HR 1 cover A. They are selling raw NM for $40ish on eBay, and CGC 9.8s are down to the $80 mark. At that price, it does not really make sense to submit books for grading. 

On 9/2/2022 at 12:50 PM, Radricky said:
On 8/23/2022 at 6:09 AM, xela_v said:

HRA #8 is getting a little heat

I thought the 2nd print was the one to get for that one. 

I think you mean HR 8, not HRA 8. I do not believe there were 2nd prints for the HRA run from IDW.

On 8/23/2022 at 8:09 AM, xela_v said:

HRA #8 is getting a little heat

With the character appearing to be a focus of wave 2, it was only a matter of time. Same with Porter Engle. Get your HRA Annuals ready. He’s a badass. 

FOC for the new High Republic #1 is this weekend. I wonder whether the print run will be higher or lower than the last time around? 

At least DIS should have learned from the mistake of the first go round when they did not promote it until after the FOC. The D23 this weekend will be just in time for FOC cut off.

Thanks for the compliment, but I am far from an expert in Modern SW books. This new arc is set 150 years in the past from the first series, so there are some 1st apps/1st comic apps that I have seen from articles on starwars.com.

The lack of 1:10/1:25 variants is a bit puzzling to me. I would have thought that Marvel would do more than just the 1:50.

I am curious to see how high the store orders are for it since there was nothing announced at D23. DIS/Marvel just missed a huge opportunity to pump up print runs, just like the last go round. lol 

I'm on the fence with that SWHR 1 1:50.

Part of me wants to buy it... I bought EIGHT copies of Mando 2 1:50 (check out what that CGC action is doing on Ebay), because the cover was awesome, and it had Grogu and Mando on the cover.

SWHR 1 1:50 has the two new main characters on the cover, but so does the A and the Noto.  The A and the Noto actually also have that hooded figure as well, so showing off more.  The Noto is the best looking imo.

image.thumb.png.f19406c07d50a95392386f9328c95582.png

Edited by CheeseFrog

I’m avoiding the 1:50s for now. I did the same thing on the HR #1 Sway except the one I got day off release. I was able to add 7-10 buying the dip on raw books. All but one came back 9.8. 

Seems like a lot of variants are starting to pop up for this one. I’ll stick with Cover A for now. 

Edited by awakeintheashes