• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Whitman Thread
15 15

608 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2022 at 6:33 PM, Warlord said:

By rough calculation, almost 230 issues out of about 380 Marvel Whitman variants have a blank UPC box.

How many have both?  I know about a Star Wars that has both, but can’t remember the user.  11, maybe?

On 1/3/2022 at 9:38 PM, OtherEric said:

How many have both?  I know about a Star Wars that has both, but can’t remember the user.  11, maybe?

Yes, Star Wars #11 has two versions - one with a blank box and one with a UPC.  No other title ever had the printing/reprinting frenzy that went on with Star Wars, so you won't find this situation outside of that title.

On 1/3/2022 at 5:06 PM, Warlord said:

Whitman variant from their Comic Pac 3-packs.  Most (many?  I should count) of the Marvel Whitman variants have a blank UPC code box.

374583794_marvel3packwhitmanComicPacIncredibleHulk216MarvelTales84-f.jpg.6e1dda67841fcaffd56359f1aec20880.jpg

many thanks for the info-had never seen them bagged like that before-so ALL with blank UPCs came in these bags? I am aware now that these so-called Whitmans were actually just the early direct market experiments. 

On 1/4/2022 at 3:21 AM, fett said:

many thanks for the info-had never seen them bagged like that before-so ALL with blank UPCs came in these bags? I am aware now that these so-called Whitmans were actually just the early direct market experiments. 

IMHO all the Marvel comics with blank UPC boxes were sold in multi-packs.  There were also multi-packs in the 1977-May 1979 timeframe that contained Marvel comics with UPC codes, but per my counting that was less than half of the issues.  The common denominator is the price box where there was either a large black diamond/box, or a starburst, or a small black diamond/box.  

On 1/13/2022 at 9:54 AM, MAR1979 said:

HI, which Overstreet # was that?

I'm expanding this post for clarity.

If @fett was referring to an article on Whitman variants, then I believe it was #38 from 2008, with John Jackson Miller (of Comichron) expanding on an article he had written for the Comic Buyer's Guide #1609.

If he was referring to variants more generally, then it's likely John McClure's lengthy article on the typologies of variants from #40 in 2010. An expanded and updated version of this was also published in the 2021 edition of the Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics.

Edited by Brock