• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Whitman Thread
15 15

608 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2022 at 10:47 PM, OtherEric said:

And, as I mentioned last page, I had this one as a kid.  Finally tracked down a new copy.  It's not a particularly common book:

UFO Mysteries.jpg

Looks like an Invaders TV show cover👍

On 11/22/2022 at 10:27 AM, Skwerl said:

I would not be at all shocked to find multipacks with newsstand editions post-1977. It's sort of the same as finding retailer variants in Wal-Mart packs today. Anything lying around could go into them.

Oh, quick note on this: There definitely were mutlipacks with newsstand editions, as Whitman wasn't the only multipack game in town. Marvel had their own multipacks too distributed through Curtis and/or the ID network. On the other thread, someone posted a Marvel multipack containing a newsstand edition of ASM #186, side by side with a Whitman multipack with a direct edition of the same issue.

On 4/10/2022 at 2:00 PM, MAR1979 said:

General Kala, Flash Gordon approaching
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching?
Open fire - all weapons
Despatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body

Gordon's alive!
live live  live

Great Stuff!!!  More than Hens tooth rare in high grade! I have them raw but mine are perhaps 8.5/9.0 at best

The film came out when I was a young child about a year later it was on HBO where the first month or so it seemingly aired 5x a day. I do recall in school for a short time around then a common catch phrase when asked your name was to respond "Flash Gordon Quarterback New York Jets". Nostalgia aside, nowadays the reason for me to watch the movie is Ornella Muti !

Too bad Gold Key/Whitman didn't also adapt Flesh Gordon :)

Question Folks, are there variants of 31/32/33 with UPC codes? Or were these were only issued via 3-Pack?

Only pre-packs

On 12/25/2022 at 7:53 PM, OtherEric said:

Most… but not all, I believe… of the DC Whitman books don’t have issue numbers.  I presume because Whitman wasn’t distributing every issue and didn’t want people looking for “missing “ issues 

Hm, I can't think of a single DC Whitman comic that has the issue number on the cover.   Am I right, or can anyone point one out?

On 12/26/2022 at 10:27 AM, Warlord said:

Nicely done! ^^

The cover layout of the previous three LSH issues has the small Whitman W in the spot where the issue number appears, and the price to the right of that.  But for #266, they put the small W in the "wrong" spot, which hid the cover price and left the issue number visible!

Is that also the only DC Whitman that doesn't have the price on the cover?  What an oddball!  It's a set of one, collect them all. lol

image.png.13d40d249913b4e56402fdc69c9b9201.pngimage.png.ea6a770407abb9c30a3d9b2efff54b57.pngimage.png.09e113d93b45ed811ca4d34dd17bcd10.pngimage.png.3f941af2ae430492ca7567c792013a38.png

Edited by Warlord

On 12/26/2022 at 10:36 AM, Warlord said:

Is that also the only DC Whitman that doesn't have the price on the cover?  What an oddball!  It's a set of one, collect them all. lol

Whoops... editing for clarity!

I think the only other one that has a number on the cover is Limited Collector's Edition #C-61.

There are quite a few others that have no price, such as the first seven issues Superman (#321 to #327) or the first three issues of DC Comics Presents (#1-#3). 

Edited by Brock

On 12/26/2022 at 2:05 PM, Brock said:

Whoops... editing for clarity!

I think the only other one that has a number on the cover is Limited Collector's Edition #C-61.

There are quite a few others that have no price, such as the first seven issues Superman (#321 to #327) or the first three issues of DC Comics Presents (#1-#3). 

Huh, I never noticed these price and numbering inconsistencies before!  Good call, it appears that from the start through November 1978, all the black circle Whitman logo covers have no price.  Then those from December 1978 (even a few of the black circle Whitman logos) on all seem to have the cover price, except for the LSH266 oddball, unless there's another one hiding in there that I'm not seeing.

On 1/2/2023 at 3:54 PM, Brock said:

I found a few price variants out in the wild. Like most of these that I find, they're beat but complete.

Disney.jpeg

My sister bought these type books as kids , I always bought superhero books , but I still liked reading her books