• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Whitman Thread
15 15

611 posts in this topic

On 12/26/2022 at 8:20 PM, Warlord said:

Huh, I never noticed these price and numbering inconsistencies before!  Good call, it appears that from the start through November 1978, all the black circle Whitman logo covers have no price.  Then those from December 1978 (even a few of the black circle Whitman logos) on all seem to have the cover price, except for the LSH266 oddball, unless there's another one hiding in there that I'm not seeing.

They avoided having the months and issue numbers on the Whitmans so the packs would not seem out of date. Guessing that’s what led to the belief they were reprints 

On 1/4/2023 at 12:49 PM, bellrules said:

BTW If you’re looking for any that are missing, chances are that I have extras

I'm not really looking for these price variants specifically, but I do rescue them from the wild when I see them!

My big focus these days is CGC copies of DC Whitmans, though... if you have any of those, I'd be very interested!

On 1/5/2023 at 12:38 PM, Brock said:

I'm not really looking for these price variants specifically, but I do rescue them from the wild when I see them!

My big focus these days is CGC copies of DC Whitmans, though... if you have any of those, I'd be very interested!

I only collect them raw unfortunately 

On 1/8/2023 at 3:40 PM, Brock said:

And another addition... This just goes to show how tough it is to put together a high grade set. Wonder Woman #259 has only 2 copies on the Census, of which this 7.0 copy is the 2nd highest.

WWW.jpeg

That is sweet✔️‼️

Just in case anyone is interested, or has research pointing in a different direction, I wanted to share a message I just sent to the folks managing the CGC registry, and concerning the DC Whitman set on the registry. Here are the highlights:

This is in relation to the "DC Whitman Variants" set. You'll see that I've had the "Best in Set" status since 2016, so hopefully this gives me some credibility. This has always been a problematic set for CGC, with frequent mis-labelling, etc., but in the context of the registry itself, there are a number of items that need to be cleaned up.

The set currently contains entries/slots for a number of books that do not exist (as in, they were never published in the first place), and it would be good to have these removed. As it is (of course) impossible to prove a negative, I'm not sure how to demonstrate this to you, though...The non-existent books include:

• Action Comics #506 (no Whitman variant exists)
  • The Brave and the Bold #143 (no Whitman variant exists)
  • Justice League of America #163 (no Whitman variant exists)
  • Justice League of America #164 (no Whitman variant exists)
  • Justice League of America #165 (no Whitman variant exists)
  • Justice League of America #170 (no Whitman variant exists)
  • Justice League of America #177 (no Whitman variant exists)
  • Justice League of America #178 (no Whitman variant exists)

There are also several issues that are listed by the wrong title, and are inconsistent with both CGC labeling and with other registry sets. These include:

• Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #261 should be Legion of Super-Heroes #261
  • Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #263 should be Legion of Super-Heroes #263
  • Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #264 should be Legion of Super-Heroes #264
  • Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #266 should be Legion of Super-Heroes #266

Finally, there is one book missing from the set, although CGC has graded at least 2 copies of this book, according to the census. This is:

• Superman #350 (Whitman variant exists, and has one 9.6 and one 9.4 copy graded by CGC)

Is it possible to have this set cleaned up a bit?

Edited by Brock

I see there are Whitman versions of many Gold Key books.  Same exact book just Whitman instead of Gold Key.  I always go for the Gold Key versions for no particular reason.  Now I gotta look more into this.

Just a heads up for everyone that eBay seller jake9338 currently has a large number of CGC-graded Whitmans, mostly from the 8-12 1980 period, at auction on the site. These are really nice high grade copies, and most are only $20 or so at the moment. He's not shipping to Canada, so I can't bid, but if Whitmans are your thing, you may want to check these out.

On 1/21/2023 at 12:23 PM, Brock said:

Just a heads up for everyone that eBay seller jake9338 currently has a large number of CGC-graded Whitmans, mostly from the 8-12 1980 period, at auction on the site. These are really nice high grade copies, and most are only $20 or so at the moment. He's not shipping to Canada, so I can't bid, but if Whitmans are your thing, you may want to check these out.

Do you have a link? I can’t find the seller using his eBay name. Thanks, Paul.