• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Whitman Thread
15 15

608 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2022 at 4:11 PM, fett said:

McClure's latest Overstreet report is online here (Overstreet #50)

https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/2020/09/01/jon-mcclures-overstreet-price-guide-50-full-market-report/

Here's his comments on "Marvel Whitmans":

McClure.PNG

On 1/13/2022 at 5:00 PM, Brock said:

McClure.PNG

All early Direct Market Editions were produced except for the cover dates 1-3/1978, 7/1978, and 3-4/1979

At least 1 Direct Market Edition does exist for books cover dated 3 and 4/1979;  Battlestar Galactica.

image.thumb.png.bdbf56c5b3e839097d22850e80fc0dfb.png

image.thumb.png.d77d66ecae10db727286fe50a7f4cd70.png

image.png.1cbcffa0c77bbcdd480071a2a2f793ab.png

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/13/2022 at 4:00 PM, Brock said:

McClure.PNG

Thank you for sharing this.

I really enjoyed the use of the term " special market editions" when trying to classify the distinction between these and their direct counterparts. 

I also could see this being a good term to use in many other similar situations. 

I'm thinking out loud here a bit, but there have been some strong auction results for the DCCP 22 Whitman of late. There have been 4 on eBay in the past month (see picture), but I'm starting to think that perhaps the discussion needs to change a bit. Ten years ago, we weren't certain this book existed, then we thought there were fewer than 10 copies that had been found. These days, I know there's a single boardie who probably has 10 copies, and the CGC census has 32, which is probably more than any other DC Whitman has.

Has this book been over hyped? It's one of the least "noticeable" DC Whitmans, in that it is easily mistaken for a regular edition. Did this "invisibility" make it seem rarer than it actually is?

DCCP22.PNG

On 2/10/2022 at 7:58 AM, Brock said:

I'm thinking out loud here a bit, but there have been some strong auction results for the DCCP 22 Whitman of late. There have been 4 on eBay in the past month (see picture), but I'm starting to think that perhaps the discussion needs to change a bit. Ten years ago, we weren't certain this book existed, then we thought there were fewer than 10 copies that had been found. These days, I know there's a single boardie who probably has 10 copies, and the CGC census has 32, which is probably more than any other DC Whitman has.

Has this book been over hyped? It's one of the least "noticeable" DC Whitmans, in that it is easily mistaken for a regular edition. Did this "invisibility" make it seem rarer than it actually is?

DCCP22.PNG

I don't think it's actually much rarer than any other of the big eight, and its increased fame the past few years has probably brought a bigger number to light than the other seven.

It's still pretty scarce, but I don't think it's on its own unique level like we used to believe.

On 2/10/2022 at 10:58 AM, Brock said:

Yes and maybe.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:58 AM, Brock said:

DCCP22.PNG

I think the high prices brought copies out of the woodwork. For me, the Batman was the toughest one to find. I think because a lot of copies might be locked up in collections as there are more Batman collectors than DC Comics Presents collectors. The same happened with Uncle Scrooge 179. It’s the highest priced of the 1980 issues, but not the scarcest. Oddly enough, when people found out Huey 65 came in the same Canadian packs, that book shot up in price. Given how high the prices are and how little copies are still out there, I don’t think it was over-hyped. The hype helped bring more copies to market, but not that many

Edited by bellrules

On 2/23/2022 at 7:05 PM, Warlord said:

Another common DCCP #22!  :baiting:

I hope your buddy didn't let them walk back out the door!   That Superboy/LSH in the top row looks sweet!

He didn’t. They were in a couple of long boxes he bought from a guy who just walked in with them. He didn’t see the DCCP 22 till he started sorting them

On 2/23/2022 at 9:23 PM, bellrules said:

He didn’t. They were in a couple of long boxes he bought from a guy who just walked in with them. He didn’t see the DCCP 22 till he started sorting them

Quick, where's your buddy's shop?

On 2/24/2022 at 12:52 PM, bellrules said:

It’s called “We Have Issues” in Edmonton Alberta Canada 

I was mostly kidding, but I will be in Edmonton in May, so I'll have to check it. I usually cruise the antique malls on Gateway Boulevard for good finds, but I'll have to expand my search.

I have to say, you make much better Whitman finds in central Alberta than I do in southern Ontario.