• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 3 directed by Patty Jenkins (TBD)
5 5

182 posts in this topic

On 11/16/2022 at 10:10 AM, Captainwonder said:

I know right? Like supes, bats and spidey never had a bad movie? Wait I guess they’re  had a few… but WW one bad one and she’s done? Ever see the 80s, & 90s cap? Pretty bad. 

The pessimism stems from Patty Jenkins' writing. She didn't write the first one, she did write the second one, and my understanding is that she will be writing the third one. I think that she loves Wonder Woman's personality, but doesn't treasure the character's overall appeal to audiences, which includes her duality as a demigod warrior. To me, it seems that Jenkins wants Diana to make the safe or comfortable choice rather than the sometimes dirty and necessary choice. (That's actually a common problem with CBM characters.)

On 12/6/2022 at 6:26 PM, D84 said:

Just please, I beg you, have better writing this time. The first one is still one of my favorites, but that sequel... damn.

+1

I thought the first was great, and feel the sequel undermined the character development it and her other film appearances accomplished by making young Diana a 'Mary Sue' (sorry if that term is frowned upon, but the shoe fits).

Edited by MR SigS

On 12/7/2022 at 8:04 PM, paperheart said:

Patty Jenkins’ ‘Wonder Woman 3’ Treatment A No Go Under New Peter Safran-James Gunn DC Administration; Axing Comes A Day After Gal Gadot’s Hopeful Tweet For Sequel

https://deadline.com/2022/12/wonder-woman-3-patty-jenkins-gal-gadot-james-gunn-peter-safran-1235192829/

That sucks, I was hoping they would redeem themselves after the second film.

On 12/7/2022 at 5:04 PM, paperheart said:

Patty Jenkins’ ‘Wonder Woman 3’ Treatment A No Go Under New Peter Safran-James Gunn DC Administration; Axing Comes A Day After Gal Gadot’s Hopeful Tweet For Sequel

https://deadline.com/2022/12/wonder-woman-3-patty-jenkins-gal-gadot-james-gunn-peter-safran-1235192829/

I"m guessing all it means is that the studio doesn't want to move forward with the existing material/-script to save money.  I'm sure Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman will find a home somewhere in Gunn's universe, it's just gonna need to be started from scratch with a -script that fits in to whatever larger connected universe James Gunn wants to build.

On 12/7/2022 at 8:21 PM, s-man said:

That sucks, I was hoping they would redeem themselves after the second film.

Same here, as I loved the first one so hoped they could deliver something like that again. This was the one DC movie I thought had the most 'wildcard' possibility of being a surprise hit.

The good news is it might just mean that this specific treatment got scrapped - and perhaps they just want to 'reset' the trilogy to something more in line with a new Gunn direction. I can't see them not using WW in some way, as they should want to capitalize on using Gadot while she is free for the role.

On 12/7/2022 at 11:22 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Same here, as I loved the first one so hoped they could deliver something like that again. This was the one DC movie I thought had the most 'wildcard' possibility of being a surprise hit.

The good news is it might just mean that this specific treatment got scrapped - and perhaps they just want to 'reset' the trilogy to something more in line with a new Gunn direction. I can't see them not using WW in some way, as they should want to capitalize on using Gadot while she is free for the role.

Seeing rumors that it's all gone.  Gadot was guaranteed 20 million for the next film and Jenkins was at 12 million.  Gunn is moving aggressively away from everything that has gone before in the DCU.  He wants to save money, and likely wants to start 100% fresh. There is a further rumor that Afflex's Batman has again been removed from cameos, and Cavill cameos are likewise being cut.  

Looks like a full recast and hard rest is coming. The characters will be used, just not the actors. 

Edited by drotto

Reading the linked article, there's more going on at DC Warner than just the cancellation of WW. Sounds like Gunn doesn't even want Henry Cavill to return as Superman, and wants to start from scratch. I'm not thrilled with this move. I like Gunn, but I'm worried that every movie from now on will be a Guardians/Suicide Squad style goof fest.

On 12/7/2022 at 11:53 PM, Larryw7 said:

Reading the linked article, there's more going on at DC Warner than just the cancellation of WW. Sounds like Gunn doesn't even want Henry Cavill to return as Superman, and wants to start from scratch. I'm not thrilled with this move. I like Gunn, but I'm worried that every movie from now on will be a Guardians/Suicide Squad style goof fest.

I am seeing the same thing from multiple sources.  Looks like a hard reset is coming to the DCU under Gunn.  Looks like a full slate recasting is also likely.  The remaining films being released look to be the vestiges of a dead cinematic universe. Will be interesting to see how that affects the box office for Flash and Aquaman. 

On 12/7/2022 at 8:59 PM, drotto said:

I am seeing the same thing from multiple sources.  Looks like a hard reset is coming to the DCU under Gunn.  Looks like a full slate recasting is also likely.  The remaining films being released look to be the vestiges of a dead cinematic universe. Will be interesting to see how that affects the box office for Flash and Aquaman. 

I read something that Dwayne rubbed the new brass the wrong way and he's out.  And that momoa may be retained but not as "aquaman"‐ but as Lobo or some other character, if he's interested.

I actually like this news.  Absolutely nothing they were doing was working.  This needs to happen.  

-J.

On 12/7/2022 at 10:59 PM, drotto said:

As much as I like Affleck, Godot, Cavill and Momoa, this is probably the best move.

Same article basically, and yeah, they ntor MOS 2 is no more too. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/wonder-woman-3-not-moving-forward-dc-movies-1235276804/

I still haven't watched Wonder Woman '84 after the brutal reviews, but the first film is one of my favourite superhero movies fullstop, so I do hope we see her again. 

On 12/8/2022 at 3:11 AM, Cat said:

Same article basically, and yeah, they ntor MOS 2 is no more too. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/wonder-woman-3-not-moving-forward-dc-movies-1235276804/

I still haven't watched Wonder Woman '84 after the brutal reviews, but the first film is one of my favourite superhero movies fullstop, so I do hope we see her again. 

I wonder how credible this THR article is as Gunn has noted nobody but himself and Safran know the plans. And that isn't being presented to Zaslav until next week.

How could this all leak out ahead of time?

On 12/8/2022 at 3:55 AM, Bosco685 said:

I wonder how credible this THR article is as Gunn has noted nobody but himself and Safran know the plans. And that isn't being presented to Zaslav until next week.

How could this all leak out ahead of time?

The walls have ears in Hollywood.