• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to the game

11 posts in this topic

So I just bought this box of cards for $200. From what I can tell, the following cards are the more valuable ones to come out of the packs. Just curious since I’m new to the trading card game, there’s like a curvature to every card. Is that normal? 

32063246-34EF-4848-8985-666912076C9A.jpeg

0FA5E1F9-F107-4C2E-AA50-1E5CDDA73543.jpeg

05FB90F0-491F-4BEB-8E8B-635B8314E6EF.jpeg

5C7278E9-1D24-4D3A-BC94-BFC20E17D149.jpeg

12557F6C-3277-4AF0-9EC9-B37AA5991546.jpeg

D5955AB5-1AFC-48C5-A8D8-192D9F1CE8A4.jpeg

Nevermind.  I just figured out what 17-18 means.  Lol.  doh!

Humidity could affect the card material, giving them a slight curve.  If they came out of the box like that, that would be my best explanation.  Sometimes, the material will do that on it's own...depending on what that material is.  I have tons of non-sport trading cards and some of the sets have a slight curve to them.  I've done the research and found that it is usually pretty normal.  I don't know how it affects grading, as I don't get mine graded.  Hopefully some other boardies can shed more light. (thumbsu

Edited by Galen130

1 hour ago, Galen130 said:

Nevermind.  I just figured out what 17-18 means.  Lol.  doh!

Humidity could affect the card material, giving them a slight curve.  If they came out of the box like that, that would be my best explanation.  Sometimes, the material will do that on it's own...depending on what that material is.  I have tons of non-sport trading cards and some of the sets have a slight curve to them.  I've done the research and found that it is usually pretty normal.  I don't know how it affects grading, as I don't get mine graded.  Hopefully some other boardies can shed more light. (thumbsu

Appreciate the info!

23 minutes ago, Ron Churches said:

Foil cards curve due to humidity.  Unless the card is bent/creased because of the curve, it almost always doesn't impact the grade.  It'll lay flat in the slab.  

Awww, awesome and thanks for confirming! Yeah I see no bends or creases.

22 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Why’s that?

Sleeving cards before sliding into a toploader (or even without a toploader) helps to avoid scratches on the surface of the card. Especially when a holofoil is concerned, as some tend to be delicate to many forms of dust/hairs/etc... It's mainly just an extra precaution if you're looking for a high grade. Many people (like me, in the past) just look at centering and corners and think "yeah dude! This is a 10!" Only to find out that our mishandling/storage defeated our expectations. 

tl;dr treat that card like it's a volatile combustable substance and sleeve that sucker before toploader to save humanity.

31 minutes ago, Euronymous50187 said:

Sleeving cards before sliding into a toploader (or even without a toploader) helps to avoid scratches on the surface of the card. Especially when a holofoil is concerned, as some tend to be delicate to many forms of dust/hairs/etc... It's mainly just an extra precaution if you're looking for a high grade. Many people (like me, in the past) just look at centering and corners and think "yeah dude! This is a 10!" Only to find out that our mishandling/storage defeated our expectations. 

tl;dr treat that card like it's a volatile combustable substance and sleeve that sucker before toploader to save humanity.

Aww ok makes sense. I don’t have any single sleeves unfortunately, but I have those like plastic sleeves pages with 9 slots. So I put them in there for the time being.

Sleeving cards before sliding into a toploader (or even without a toploader) helps to avoid scratches on the surface of the card. Especially when a holofoil is concerned, as some tend to be delicate to many forms of dust/hairs/etc... It's mainly just an extra precaution if you're looking for a high grade. Many people (like me, in the past) just look at centering and corners and think "yeah dude! This is a 10!" Only to find out that our mishandling/storage defeated our expectations.  Nox 

Vidmate     

VLC

Edited by jitasaw