• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sensational she Hulk 14 Brian Bolland cover replacement

9 posts in this topic

I bought a sensational she hulk 14 cover replacement. Marvel printed out the cover replacement because the Brian Bolland cover was turned in late and because they have deadlines they used the rough sketch and had Bryan Hitch trace over it to make the cover. After it was released marvel then rereleased the original cover by Bolland but it was only the cover ,should I get s replacement cover graded as a regular comic or should I just keep this as a keepsake of comic history without it being graded. 

Im not at all convinced it's financially viable to slab the replacement cover (which was essentially a give-away promo), but it's certainly not as common as the actual book. Prices vary quite a bit for the raw replacement cover, but "under $100" is a pretty clear barrier at the moment. That said, there don't appear to be ANY slabbed copies of this, so it's difficult to determine a market value for a 9.6 or 9.8 slab. If your cover is gonna be much less than that, probably not a good slab target in any case.

All that said, if I was collecting this title, I'd certainly consider this a part of that run.

12 hours ago, Kenneth Barrentine said:

Marvel printed out the cover replacement because the Brian Bolland cover was turned in late and because they have deadlines they used the rough sketch and had Bryan Hitch trace over it to make the cover.

The regular cover was by Mark Texeira and Harry Candelario.

863267.jpg

On 12/31/2020 at 6:33 PM, Qalyar said:

Im not at all convinced it's financially viable to slab the replacement cover (which was essentially a give-away promo), but it's certainly not as common as the actual book. Prices vary quite a bit for the raw replacement cover, but "under $100" is a pretty clear barrier at the moment. That said, there don't appear to be ANY slabbed copies of this, so it's difficult to determine a market value for a 9.6 or 9.8 slab. If your cover is gonna be much less than that, probably not a good slab target in any case.

All that said, if I was collecting this title, I'd certainly consider this a part of that run.

I don't necessarily disagree, but It's not always about the money. If you are slabbing a set, get it slabbed - it's part of the history and a clearly superior version of the cover. If your set is all Mylars, then keep it in mylar. I wouldn't mind having a copy or two - one for my HTD collection, and one for the SSH run. :bigsmile:

There was a comparable situation with Acclaim's Unity 2000. If I remember correctly, they initially produced 2 covers, the regular version and a Dynamic Forces exclusive. But somehow the covers got swapped and the exclusive ended up with the regualr cover, and the regular cover with the exclusive art. And since the regular art was part 1 of a connecting cover, you only had that art if you had the exclusive. So they printed the cover only and shipped it with issue 2, part 2 of the connecting cover. However it was distributed, there *are* graded copies of the cover only:

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Unity+2000&publisher=Acclaim&issue=1&year=1999&issuedate=11%2F99

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps