• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comparison Grades
1 1

16 posts in this topic

So I'm looking at selling two "gruesome" comic mags. Both I had done a PGM on. But the difference in grading has me perplexed. I'm not seeing such a huge discrepancy between the two as indicated in the estimated grades. Maybe someone can enlighten me to what I'm missing? Links to both:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/479637-pgm-tales-of-voodoo-vol-2-1/?tab=comments#comment-11492966

Grade Estimates: 6.5

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/479638-pgm-tales-from-the-tomb-vol-5-5/?tab=comments#comment-11492968

Grade Estimates: 9.0/9.2

EDIT: And both mostly graded by the same people. Not disputing, just trying to understand the major differences that would make the two so different in scale. My estimation before PGM both is that the 6.5 would have been higher and the 9.0/9.2 lower.

Edited by WPPJames

1 hour ago, WPPJames said:

The difference in grading has me perplexed. I'm not seeing such a huge discrepancy between the two as indicated in the estimated grades. Maybe someone can enlighten me to what I'm missing.

Look again!  The large difference in grade is primarily due to the large difference in spine wear (where "wear" includes color-breaking and non color-breaking transverse ticks, longitudinal reading stress, ink rubs, and soiling).  Maybe these cropped images will help:

1.thumb.jpg.cbba19a09e39aba7ee990e7c3e23726b.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.de2fbe43be43dc7198ad9fb25c67820f.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.9a3ed3461d9f282856efb73e1f5e8d8a.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.a436e6e7b37213ce000295c7a9c56cef.jpg

Speaking on behalf of myself for myself and nobody else but myself...

th?id=OIP.oouTwSoAUrJhAAak9sAEZgHaCd&pid=Api&P=0&w=500&h=167

The Voodoo FC and BC spine displays multiple color breaking defects along the entire length of the book while the FC lower right corner has what appears to be a diagonal color breaking crease approximately 3-4 inches in length and additionally, all four corners are generally soft.

The Tales is a much cleaner copy showing much less in the way of general defects along the spine. The corners are all much tighter with some slight blunting but not enough to knock the book below vf/nm imho.

Thanks guys. I couldn't ask for a more detailed explanation than that. I need to pay more attention to the spine when evaluating. Also, I honestly have no idea how I missed the one rusty staple and the crease in the bottom right corner on the TOV. It's all right there. I must have looked at them and scanned them late at night when the office was dark. At least that's the story I'm sticking with.

Happy New Year to all!

2 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

The spine is always the first thing I look at when grading any book...  :gossip:

Good to know. You guys are way out of my league grading wise. I mostly just do an eyeball test. And the spine doesn't hit my eyeballs that often. I guess I can make my New Year's resolution to look closer at comic book spines? It's easier than exercising; drinking less or dieting.

24 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

Good to know. You guys are way out of my league grading wise. I mostly just do an eyeball test. And the spine doesn't hit my eyeballs that often. I guess I can make my New Year's resolution to look closer at comic book spines? It's easier than exercising; drinking less or dieting.

You can tell a lot about a book just by looking at the spine...

35 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

The spine is always the first thing I look at when grading any book...  :gossip:

Agreed. Spine to corners and the rest will narrow a grade down considerably at first site...and then the book returns from CGC and you can scratch your head in disbelief..haha

Edited by Funnybooks

9 hours ago, WPPJames said:

EDIT: And both mostly graded by the same people. Not disputing, just trying to understand the major differences that would make the two so different in scale. My estimation before PGM both is that the 6.5 would have been higher and the 9.0/9.2 lower.

I really like the fact that you're trying to learn more about grading; good for you!  

One thing I can tell you is that comparing books is not something that usually takes place in the CGC grading room---that's usually done only for purposes of verifying specific things about a book, such as missing pages and the like. Each book should be graded individually, with no other goal in mind but to arrive at the most accurate and reasonable grade for that book. Studying a grading guide (such as the Overstreet guide) is a great way to get a feel for the different grades. But an even better way is to go through the Heritage archives and study different CGC graded books and their flaws. And then there's the ultimate learning tool---grading the books themselves. The more of them you grade, the easier it is to arrive at the proper grade range. Then it's just a matter of elimination---which grade do you feel best describes that particular book?

I hope this helps, and happy new year!   (thumbsu

43 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Agreed. Spine to corners and the rest will narrow a grade down considerably at first site...and then the book returns from CGC and you can scratch your head in disbelief..haha

That kinda makes me wonder. A long time ago when I was even less experienced at grading, I sent in multiple copies of the original Crow mini-series. All 1st printing. I had purchased new from a distributor. Never read by myself. All came back 9.0 or higher. Except one at 8.5. I was flabbergasted. To my virgin eyes it looked identical to the rest. I don't recall if CGC wasn't providing notes at that time or I just wasn't aware they did and didn't look. Maybe that book had some spine issues. Obviously just because a book is "new and unread" doesn't mean it is without flaws.

EDIT: Not a distributer. One of the pre-order comic book services. I forget the name. They were more catered to the casual comic book person. You didn't have to order as far in advance as the services used by more experienced comic book people. You guys could probably name the company and I'd recall it. So sometimes they would be unable to fully fill your order on certain comics. The Crow was one. I actually pre-ordered a lot more than I received. Oh well, live and learn.

Edited by WPPJames

43 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

That kinda makes me wonder. A long time ago when I was even less experienced at grading, I sent in multiple copies of the original Crow mini-series. All 1st printing. I had purchased new from a distributor. Never read by myself. All came back 9.0 or higher. Except one at 8.5. I was flabbergasted. To my virgin eyes it looked identical to the rest. I don't recall if CGC wasn't providing notes at that time or I just wasn't aware they did and didn't look. Maybe that book had some spine issues. Obviously just because a book is "new and unread" doesn't mean it is without flaws.

There are hundreds of books that are "new and unread" sent to CGC every week. But many of them will only grade in the 9.4 - 9.6 range. Flaws such as finger bends and smears, light spine stress and spine wear and other minor defects can take a book out of the Near Mint range...

Edited by The Lions Den

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

There are hundreds of books that are "new and unread" sent to CGC every week. But many of them will only grade in the 9.4 - 9.6 range. Flaws such as finger bends and smears, light spine stress and spine wear and other minor defects can take a book out of the Near Mint range...

Looking back there were probably some finger print smears on it. Maybe I had been eating Cheetos. That could have easily been cleaned off at a small cost if I'd have known at the time. You learn best when it hits you $$$.

Edited by WPPJames