• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyer Beware!!! Incredible Hulk #180 CBCS 9.4 Listing on Ebay
1 1

59 posts in this topic

The seller is listing a lower graded copy as a CBCS 9.4 by fraudulently stating it's the same booked that was cracked. I found a past sale with photos of the actual 9.4 that matches the label and grader's notes, including the date stamp on the logo that isn't there on the copy currently being sold. 

Does anyone know anything about this seller on ebay?: buying_everything 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-180-CBCS-CGC-9-4-Unrestored-1st-App-of-Wolverine-in-Cameo/224304721050?hash=item34399a6c9a:g:vFUAAOSwtmhf82Ie

Here are the pictures of the actual book that was originally in the 9.4 CBCS slab. 

hulk 180 date stamp.PNG

hulk 180 stamp 2.PNG

Edited by Flanders82

9 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

So he bought the 9.4, cracked the case and is claiming the lower graded issue is the original 9.4? 

The one in the listing is no 9.4. Hopefully buyers realize that before bidding. 

Thanks for the heads up. 

Either that or he is printing his own CBCS labels. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do. 

44 minutes ago, Flanders82 said:

Does anyone know anything about this seller on ebay?: buying_everything 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-180-CBCS-CGC-9-4-Unrestored-1st-App-of-Wolverine-in-Cameo/224304721050?hash=item34399a6c9a:g:vFUAAOSwtmhf82Ie

Yes and no. I've seen his listings before and they struck me as being in the same vein as Polished_Gem, and BeatleBlueCat. That's the surface impression I had.  

Yes and no. I've seen his listings before and they struck me as being in the same vein as Polished_Gem, and BeatleBlueCat. That's the surface impression I had.I was meaning to take a deep dive into this seller and see what the deal is so if need be examples of flim-flammery can be brought to light on the forum as an aid to us and fellow collectors looking in. Time for a good long look!  hm

Edited by James J Johnson

2 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I sent him a message saying that's not the same book. This was his reply:

Yes i know, i just found out tonight, eBay won't let me end the auction. I will tell the buyer at the end so they will not have to pay for the auction. 

Thank you

“All books are from my personal collection and untouched.” :eyeroll:

36 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I sent him a message saying that's not the same book. This was his reply:

Yes i know, i just found out tonight, eBay won't let me end the auction. I will tell the buyer at the end so they will not have to pay for the auction. 

Thank you

He just found out?  About a book from his personal collection that he cracked out?  Something smells like 2 week old spinach

Yeah. Same game. Buy CGC, crack, overgrade, and hope the buyer is blind. 

Tales to Astonish #35 CGC 5.5 White Pages First Ant-Man in costume | eBay 

Tales to Astonish #35 VF- Unrestored, 2nd app of Ant Man and 1st in costume | eBay 

I'll start a new thread for him. Based on what I'm looking at in a short amount of time, he most certainly deserves the attention. 

TTA35a.jpg

TTA35b.jpg

3 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Whoever bid this book up to $2 grand deserves to lose their money:

Amazing Spider-man #18 NM++ Unrestored 1st App Ned Leeds | eBay

Hint to genius -- Back. Cover.

That's going to be an easy ID with those back cover top right corner impact waves! I'll get to it. Just general rummaging right now. My guess is that there will be a lot to declare. 

Just now, mattn792 said:

Seriously, this guys listings are infuriating.  His 6.0 ASM 129 is advertised as NM/MT.  "Yes, this book has 46 different flaws, but just press it and it'll be brand new!"

And people fall for this.  eBay gonna eBay.  :facepalm:

But it makes it even easier to find. The image, the condition implied by that image and his hyper-inflated grade. He's applying the same CGC to raw grade ration as BeatleBlueCat. CGC 5.0 = his raw 7.5 to 8.5. CGC 7.0 = his raw 9.0 to 9.4. CGC 7.5 to 8.0 = his raw 9.6/9.8. His raw grades make the images even easier to locate because I know exactly what CGC grade range to look for to find his super-ambitious raw grades. 

26 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Yeah. Same game. Buy CGC, crack, overgrade, and hope the buyer is blind. 

Tales to Astonish #35 CGC 5.5 White Pages First Ant-Man in costume | eBay 

Tales to Astonish #35 VF- Unrestored, 2nd app of Ant Man and 1st in costume | eBay 

I'll start a new thread for him. Based on what I'm looking at in a short amount of time, he most certainly deserves the attention. 

TTA35a.jpg

TTA35b.jpg

This is just so sad. 

Sad that there are so many dishonest sellers looking to cheat collectors and sad that there are so many buyers who aren't smart enough to wonder why all these 'high grade' books are being sold raw and too clueless to look at the images and spot the obvious defects.  Honestly, how can buyers not suspect a seller who has lots of cracked out books for sale of shenanigans?

31 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Seller may take a hit on this.  We'll see in an hour. 

1.jpg.ee4db2f5199d012c82bc55cf3b289091.jpg2.jpg.a92ca578daee0f6c4057840f792a524b.jpg

15 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Seriously, this guys listings are infuriating.  His 6.0 ASM 129 is advertised as NM/MT.  "Yes, this book has 46 different flaws, but just press it and it'll be brand new!"

And people fall for this.  eBay gonna eBay.  :facepalm:

How could anyone believe that is a NM/MT?  There are so many flaws.