• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedigree Magazine Thread
5 5

89 posts in this topic

I love the idea of this thread.  Not sure how many magazines showed up in what are traditionally identified as pedigrees.  I know there were magazines in the following pedigrees/collections:

• Don Rosa
  • Don & Maggie Thompson
  • Fantucchio
  • Gaines File Copies
  • Heartland
  • Jerry Weist
  • Manitoba
  • Massachusetts
  • Pacific Coast
  • Suscha News
  • USAF Mildenhall
  • White Mountain
  • Winnipeg (?)
  • others?

Feel free to add to or correct anything on this list.

Edit:  Updated 16 January 2021

Edited by Randall Dowling
Updated

Just now, allthingskryptonite said:

Exactly. I have seen them on MCS. But they clearly say no COA. So I generally shy away from them.

Great copies! 

Why?  The best pedigrees in the hobby don't have COAs.  I really wouldn't let that keep you from buying them.  You'll be missing out.

1 hour ago, Randall Dowling said:

Why?  The best pedigrees in the hobby don't have COAs.  I really wouldn't let that keep you from buying them.  You'll be missing out.

Agreed.  I didn't buy the Fantucchio books because they were pedigree books... I bought them because they were nice, affordable copies of books I wanted, and the pedigree was a bonus.

The Mad, I bought from Metropolis specifically because I wanted to have a Gaines File Copy in my collection, so I get the impulse! :nyah:

11 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Agreed.  I didn't buy the Fantucchio books because they were pedigree books... I bought them because they were nice, affordable copies of books I wanted, and the pedigree was a bonus.

The Mad, I bought from Metropolis specifically because I wanted to have a Gaines File Copy in my collection, so I get the impulse! :nyah:

And Gaines File Copies have particular qualities that are very desirable.  Not all of them have the original certificates.  I can't imagine anyone passing on one because it doesn't have a "COA".

By the way, both the Fantucchio books and the GFCs are pretty awesome!  (thumbsu

7 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I love the idea of this thread.  Not sure how many magazines showed up in what are traditionally identified as pedigrees.  I know there were magazines in the following pedigrees/collections:

• Winnipeg (or is Manitoba? I'm getting old...)
  • White Mountain
  • Fantucchio
  • Gaines File Copies
  • Jerry Weist
  • Don & Maggie Thompson
  • others?

Feel free to add to or correct anything on this list.

I’m not getting picky here but genuinely want to know which are considered “collections” as opposed to “pedigrees”? As in recognized by CGC.

3 hours ago, Jayman said:

I’m not getting picky here but genuinely want to know which are considered “collections” as opposed to “pedigrees”? As in recognized by CGC.

Collections consist of books that could have been acquired by any means to become part of the same collection at some point in time. Pedigree means all the books in that collection were acquired directly off the rack by one collector and are made up of a certain percentage of Golden Age, Silver Age etc. books. There are many collections out there but not many known pedigrees.

I don't intentionally avoid them but I tend not to buy them because they usually cost significantly more than non pedigree books in the same grade. A good example of that comes to mind pertaining to Gaines File Copies. I love EC and I think it would be really cool to own a Gaines File Copy but they seem to cost hundreds of dollars more than the same issue in the same grade without that designation. That designation just isn't worth that much more to me, I guess we all have our weaknesses that we will sucker up for but pedigree just isn't one of mine.

2 minutes ago, apocalypse76 said:

I don't intentionally avoid them but I tend not to buy them because they usually cost significantly more than non pedigree books in the same grade. A good example of that comes to mind pertaining to Gaines File Copies. I love EC and I think it would be really cool to own a Gaines File Copy but they seem to cost hundreds of dollars more than the same issue in the same grade without that designation. That designation just isn't worth that much more to me, I guess we all have our weaknesses that we will sucker up for but pedigree just isn't one of mine.

Agreed in general; I paid extra for my GFC MAD... but went for an issue of MAD because it was still only about 30 dollars and half of that was shipping.  It was a way of getting my one and only GFC on the relatively cheap.

The Fantucchio books at MyComicShop are not, for the most part, price bumped; so I'll grab them over similar copies when I come across it on a book I'm looking for anyway.

@Jayman :

The official list of the 60 pedigrees recognized by CGC, there's a couple others people will sometimes argue for:

https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/pedigree/

The three pedigrees we've seen so far in the thread... Gaines File Copy, John G. Fantucchio, and White Mountain... are all on the list.

Edited by OtherEric

2 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

The official list of the 60 pedigrees recognized by CGC, there's a couple others people will sometimes argue for:

https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/pedigree/

The three pedigrees we've seen so far in the thread... Gaines File Copy, John G. Fantucchio, and White Mountain... are all on the list.

If there are 60 pedigrees there must be hundreds of "collections"

25 minutes ago, apocalypse76 said:

Collections consist of books that could have been acquired by any means to become part of the same collection at some point in time. Pedigree means all the books in that collection were acquired directly off the rack by one collector and are made up of a certain percentage of Golden Age, Silver Age etc. books. There are many collections out there but not many known pedigrees.

Thanks, I know the difference. Was wondering which are recognized by CGC. For instance, the Diamond Run collection used to be recognized by CGC. After concluding that non OO books were included in that collection, CGC no longer recognizes these books as such.