• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic Copper Age Covers That Haven't Hit _________ Status, But Deserve Some More Recognition (And Are Not Keys or Semis For Reasons Other Than Their Cover)
3 3

168 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, the blob said:

Yeah, I read your comment. But the idea that census numbers for a low value book somehow prove they are impossible to find in high grade is just naive. They might, or they may more likely show a lack of submissions. People are likely not submitting good candidates because there doesn't look like much financial upside. I couldn't find any CGC sales of those issues (or listings), so i have no data to work with, but generally speaking the fanfares don't seem to do all that well in slabs, even the issues that are relevant to an upcoming movie. And issue #60 just sitting there at under $60 with a black panther cover, albeit in cgc 9.6,  and probably just as low a print run as 58 or 59, kind of makes me wonder if 56-59 would do just poorly. So why would people be slabbing their nice copies? Fact is, we're talking about an early 90s Marvel that, I believe, was direct only. The experts here would know, but even on the brink of cancellation I still think we were talking about 50K+ print runs then.

Okay, whatever, just go back to talking about MF Black Widow books, for whatever reason you felt that was important.

22 minutes ago, bluehorseshoe said:

Okay, whatever, just go back to talking about MF Black Widow books, for whatever reason you felt that was important.

In looking at the census, Very few copies of any of the last few years of the MF run were submitted, Virtually all of the copies submitted are 9.6 or 9.8. Indeed, only 4 copies of the last (Black PAnther) issue have been submitted and there are a ton of raw copies on ebay. 4 copies of 50 are on the census and they are all 9.8. My Black Widow references were more about this being a title almost nobody is willing to pay much for. Why spend $15-20 submitting, risk $5 on a pre-screen, etc, for so little upside, particularly as nice raw copies might get you $7-$15 a piece.

15 minutes ago, the blob said:

In looking at the census, Very few copies of any of the last few years of the MF run were submitted, Virtually all of the copies submitted are 9.6 or 9.8. Indeed, only 4 copies of the last (Black PAnther) issue have been submitted and there are a ton of raw copies on ebay. 4 copies of 50 are on the census and they are all 9.8. My Black Widow references were more about this being a title almost nobody is willing to pay much for. Why spend $15-20 submitting, risk $5 on a pre-screen, etc, for so little upside, particularly as nice raw copies might get you $7-$15 a piece.

Sounds like you have it all figured out.  Bye now, thanks for the insight.

15 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

This would look great in a triptych with these 2:

image.png.63ab8ebef713e3e13516c109c5f55512.pngimage.thumb.png.a7eb9b23daaa7db82f92fa076609ac8c.png

Totally agree. 
I had the first one signed by Claremont with a baby blue pen too, insane looking. Absolutely loved it.