• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Silver Surfer #3 the new Must Have Key issue out of the series?
3 3

43 posts in this topic

On 1/28/2021 at 10:06 AM, silversurfer275 said:

I think it'll temporary be the must have if he appears in the mcu then slowly go down 

I was wondering about this myself. It is a great cover, but if he doesn't show in Wandavision does it tank or at least return to more reasonable amounts?

I had an Avengers 57 well before the hype train started, when it did I sold it since it  was not a book I really loved so did let it go. I noticed after he was in the movies it absolutely fell in value.

SS3 is awesome and I love the cover, but no doubt Thanos is the badder villain and I keep my Iron Man 55 around for that reason. This was my SS3 before I sold it on eBay last month for $930. Kicking myself that I didn't realize how much it would skyrocket in such a short time, but honestly 2 years ago it only cost me $350 on ComicLink. I imagine it will get back to normal pricing in a couple years like people think.

silversurfer3.jpg

On 2/4/2021 at 2:15 PM, PKJ said:

I was wondering about this myself. It is a great cover, but if he doesn't show in Wandavision does it tank or at least return to more reasonable amounts?

I had an Avengers 57 well before the hype train started, when it did I sold it since it  was not a book I really loved so did let it go. I noticed after he was in the movies it absolutely fell in value.

Avengers 57 is actually selling pretty strong right now I believe, at least with him in Wandavision probably helping. You’re right though, there was a small price drop I think after he died in Infinity War.

On 1/29/2021 at 1:16 AM, piper said:

Mine is long gone. I sold the run but kept 1&4. 

I did the same, sold everything but my #4, and oddly 3 copies of #3.   I never even liked the book.  

But now have the Northland, and the Slobodian copies looking better than they ever did.   Who ever saw this coming!??

I gave up on this book a couple of years ago after seeing a copy sell on “Comicbook Men” but I couldn’t find a decent enough looking copy for my taste. Sure, I’d have one in my watchlist every now and then but once it hit a certain price point I moved on. Last time I followed one in the 6.0 range it went for $500 and I thought that was nuts. Who knew what was coming next?

27 minutes ago, PKJ said:

Aren't most of these guess chasing FF94 now though? 

Appears so.  I'm pissed at myself that I missed the Marvel Spotlight #4 cgc 9.0 WP CL had up for auction month last (I collect 9.0 WP).  I've been looking for one for like a year now. Apparently it's the first appearance of the Darkhold book and now the price is insane....:tonofbricks: This first appease nonsenses has got to have it's limits haha

Edited by Xenosmilus

As Wandavision comes to a close, still no sign of Mephisto.  So for now, the hype around SS#3 was a bit overblown?   He still might pop up later either here or somewhere in phase 4.  Just not to the extent the hype suggested, not yet.    By contrast, looks like Ultron could be returning to MCU real soon, if not already (in Wandavision, which is expected to set up phase 4).  

Edited by Pantodude

Silver Surfer #3 has always been a classic to me. A beautiful, but gut-wrenching story of the never ending battle between evil, love and sacrifice. Stan really put it all out there with this one with a story we would do well to pay attention to and contemplate today.

956572910_SILVERSURFER3LASTPAGE_edited.jpg.460afcd24a9f3eb8a86e861ed2ac387a.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

On 1/24/2021 at 11:37 PM, HighVoltage said:
On 1/24/2021 at 9:13 PM, Xenosmilus said:

I realize it’s speculation of Mephisto in WandaVision. I was curious of everyone’s thoughts if this is the new must have out of the run and if so will it remain as the must have (if indeed he is in WandaVision).

If Mephisto shows up in WandaVision, #3 will really pop.

If he shows then carries over to the MCU movie-verse, it’ll go nuclear.

Do these increases in values only come into play for Marvel related TV series and movies?  hm

You certainly don't seem to see the same kind of impact on prices (if even any at all) on the DC related TV shows and movies like Black Lightning and all of the guest appearances on Stargirl and the Arrowverse related TV shows.  (shrug)

On 2/3/2021 at 3:53 PM, bc said:

2c

With the exception of Dr. Doom, none of the villains that appeared (or rumored to appear) in the MCU movies have retained their peak speculation values.

Thanos has more screen time than any other MCU villain and yet Iron Man 55 values are considerably less than the peak.

According to GPA, in 2018, a 9.4 IM55 sold for a high of $3,100, last sale (12/28/2020) was about $1,900 (-38%). Similar declines can be seen in 9.6, 9.2, 9.0, 8.5, etc.

If you were a long term collector who had one in their collection for years, the price increases were great; if you are trying to time the market, best be very nimble.

The rest of the MCU villains (Ultron, Yellow Jacket, Dormammu, Baron Zemu, Whiplash, Ronan, Claw, Ego, Hela and the like) have seen a similar pattern - speculators driving up prices on an announcement or hunch only to see values drop by considerable percentages.

Don't see SS3 retaining value for more than a year or two (if that). #1 is iconic and #4 has had a "classic cover" designation for decades.

Is SS3 a cool book - hells yeah, but I don't see it holding value like 1 & 4 have over the long term.

-bc

The problem is killing off villians in movies. In comics that rarely happens. If Marvel had a cosmic themed TV show right now where we learn that he did one of his usual resurrections and is back, bit not as an infinity stone chasing all powerfull baddie (because none of us want to see that again for a while), but just a super powerful baddie who will pop up in story lines moving forward, then I think it would be different. or if marvel decided to explore his past through some vehicle. and, of course, he still exists in the past and can be plucked out of any timeline.

2 hours ago, the blob said:

The problem is killing off villians in movies. In comics that rarely happens. If Marvel had a cosmic themed TV show right now where we learn that he did one of his usual resurrections and is back, bit not as an infinity stone chasing all powerfull baddie (because none of us want to see that again for a while), but just a super powerful baddie who will pop up in story lines moving forward, then I think it would be different. or if marvel decided to explore his past through some vehicle. and, of course, he still exists in the past and can be plucked out of any timeline.

I don't think its as much being killed off as it is speculators chasing the next "big thing" due to the current deluge of comic-based media content.

All it seems to take is a "leak" from somewhere or an unsubstantiated rumor from a blog or some other social media speculation that triggers the feeding frenzy. Once there is even a drop of blood in the water, FOMO kicks in and prices pop. Once that carcass is spent, on to the next big thing because there is a constant churn of new material being put out there.

Just reading thru the various "what's hot" threads on this site demonstrates that many people here are quick to jump on the bandwagon. I'm sure its even more rampant on other social media sites where way more people are posting a million times day. 

-bc

On 2/28/2021 at 1:17 PM, Pantodude said:

As Wandavision comes to a close, still no sign of Mephisto.  So for now, the hype around SS#3 was a bit overblown?   He still might pop up later either here or somewhere in phase 4.  Just not to the extent the hype suggested, not yet.    By contrast, looks like Ultron could be returning to MCU real soon, if not already (in Wandavision, which is expected to set up phase 4).  

in the short term SS 3 will drop a bit no doubt - massive hype letdown on WandaVision, but its been undervalued for a long time so definitely not down to 2020 levels.

Good time to buy IMHO imagine what the pricing will be if Mephisto plays a major role in the MCU or is revealed in Dr Strange.

#1 & #4 have classic covers, but no major first apps and #3 has one of the best villain first app covers in the Silver Age

On 3/5/2021 at 1:17 AM, lou_fine said:

Do these increases in values only come into play for Marvel related TV series and movies?  hm

You certainly don't seem to see the same kind of impact on prices (if even any at all) on the DC related TV shows and movies like Black Lightning and all of the guest appearances on Stargirl and the Arrowverse related TV shows.  (shrug)

seems like you answered your own question there. 

many of us have little or no interest in the world of dc tv shows.