• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much does writing on the cover affect grading?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

As a newbie here, I searched to see if this question had been answered already, but couldn't find anything, (though there is a similar question posed recently by @MareB). So apologies in advance if it has been covered before.

I was able to find some scarce titles in a "flea market", but the problem is that they have the price written on them, like this one:

image.png.836c0dd7499f6178940891f141d03e61.png

They are nice enough for me to have in my collection, but I wonder how much does writing like this reduce the grade? Can anything be done to remove the writing without affecting the cover? Unlike the books recently posted by @MareB the ink has not bled through the cover but appears to be just on the surface.

The book pictured appears to be in the VG+ 4.5 range (may be a VG/FN 5.0 at best), as already stated, the marking will not affect a book in this grade.

The FMV (based on eBay sold auctions) for that book in VG+ 4.5 to VG/FN 5.0 is about $10.00.

IMO, read it, bag and board it, enjoy it as it is.

10 hours ago, Albert Thurgood said:

They are nice enough for me to have in my collection, but I wonder how much does writing like this reduce the grade? Can anything be done to remove the writing without affecting the cover? Unlike the books recently posted by @MareB the ink has not bled through the cover but appears to be just on the surface.

I agree with marvelmaniac on this. Due to the grade of the book, the writing shouldn't affect the grade much at all. It's actually a perfect reading copy and should be enjoyed just the way it is...

Thanks everyone for their comments! Yes I know that particular one does not have monetary value but I was asking in general. Given a small wrinkle can seem to reduce the grade by 0.5 or more, I was thinking that that obtrusive writing would have an even worse impact.

On 1/28/2021 at 6:41 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

Thanks everyone for their comments! Yes I know that particular one does not have monetary value but I was asking in general. Given a small wrinkle can seem to reduce the grade by 0.5 or more, I was thinking that that obtrusive writing would have an even worse impact.

They all have impact. If the book was perfect and it only had that writing on the cover, you'd see the impact it had. But the idea here is that you look at what is allowed in the grade range. You have a length wide crease, that brings it down to a 4.0. Is the price written on the cover allowed at a 4.0? Yes, so it stays 4.0. If your tear your cover in half, then that becomes the biggest issue, bringing the book down to a far lower grade, and at that point the length wide crease no longer matters. 

On 5/3/2022 at 1:24 AM, William-James88 said:

They all have impact. If the book was perfect and it only had that writing on the cover, you'd see the impact it had. But the idea here is that you look at what is allowed in the grade range. You have a length wide crease, that brings it down to a 4.0. Is the price written on the cover allowed at a 4.0? Yes, so it stays 4.0. If your tear your cover in half, then that becomes the biggest issue, bringing the book down to a far lower grade, and at that point the length wide crease no longer matters. 

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I also had the same question because I don't have a lot experience yet

Although the subject is old, it may come in handy, the ink is removable with various solvents, especially if it is not heavily embedded. If the inscription is old, it is almost impossible to remove it without damage. I bought a Lord of The Flies book on sale with a marker on the cover and got it out with a simple acetone solution. I even liked the book itself so much that I wrote an essay on it and if interested you can find more about it. But the trace remained from the removal, although if there is no need to sell it is not a problem.

Edited by Milethave