• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daily Pulp

30 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Beautiful. Do you know if there's any connection to Harry Schaare, the later commercial artist?

I don't know, but a quick search reveals that Harry was born in 1922 on Long Island, and Chris was married in 1920, had 6 sons, and lived in NJ.  So it's possible they're father and son.

3 hours ago, RedFury said:

I don't know, but a quick search reveals that Harry was born in 1922 on Long Island, and Chris was married in 1920, had 6 sons, and lived in NJ.  So it's possible they're father and son.

Did some quick research and it looks like Chris was Harry's Uncle. Harry's father was Henry Schaare and Henry appears in the 1910 Census living in West Hoboken, NJ, with a brother, Christopher Jr., who is a brass engraver. David Saunders pulp bio confirms that was how and where Chris started out so I'm sure that's the man. Interesting stuff. Chris was very successful in the pulps so I wonder if Harry got an "in" through his uncle? Certainly couldn't have hurt! Both were exceptional artists.

On 2/2/2021 at 9:23 AM, RedFury said:

Yes, something like 4,000+ appearances going back to the 1880s.  Heritage recently sold his very first appearance in a detective dime novel from back then.

From Victorian sleuth to hardboiled detective to international spy to boy band refugee, Nick Carter has had an interesting career. 

On 2/3/2021 at 8:27 AM, RedFury said:

Weird Tales
October 1925

Cover by Andrew Brosnatch

1st appearance of Jules de Grandin, Seabury Quinn's occult detective who appeared in over 90 stories in Weird Tales between 1925 and 1951.

pFn4ojRh.jpg

Now that is a truly scary monster that is real , the flea😢