• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Silver Surfer #4 -- GRADE IS IN
3 3

20 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

nice book. What's that "X" on the "R" in silver? Otherwise, clean with minor corners. 8.0. 

It's one of the ultra rare "X" copies!

I think it is from a marker.

Giving this one a bump, just in case anyone else wants to take a shot. It should be back from CGC next week, and I'll post the results then.

I assume it's going to be C&P and if CCS takes care of it I'm thinking 7.0. Definitely no worse than 6.5.

Thanks for the second chance. I was lurking but not yet posting when this rolled around the first time.

On 5/5/2022 at 12:01 PM, grendelbo said:

I assume it's going to be C&P and if CCS takes care of it I'm thinking 7.0. Definitely no worse than 6.5.

Thanks for the second chance. I was lurking but not yet posting when this rolled around the first time.

Yes, I cleaned up the back a bit and pressed it myself, and it turned out pretty good. 

Looks good!  One of my favorite covers of all time and an issue I'd like to get some time.  Great job on pressing.  I have a stack of square bounds that I will tackle someday once I figure out how to keep the spine from crushing.  6.0 at least on this one.

On 5/5/2022 at 2:15 PM, JRibble said:

Looks good!  One of my favorite covers of all time and an issue I'd like to get some time.  Great job on pressing.  I have a stack of square bounds that I will tackle someday once I figure out how to keep the spine from crushing.  6.0 at least on this one.

The pics here are actually pre-pressing. I think next time I will take another round of photos. 

There are a couple of techniques for square bounds. I use two thick metal plates for my pressing, and I keep the spine just outside the edge of the two plates. I use lower temp as well so the glue doesn't melt.

On 6/13/2022 at 2:22 PM, Slyde said:

Meant to post these a number of weeks ago. Very pleased with this one.

PXL_20220613_201441105_2.jpg

Looks great. C&P did the book very well.