• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Biggest gap between 9.6 and 9.8?

21 posts in this topic

Wow, I know the 9.6 is a fluke and low, but ouch!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ronin-4-CGC-9-6-NM-WHITE-PAGES/164654008674?hash=item265624c962:g:ujwAAOSwJy1gBt46   ($8.50!!!)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ronin-4-CGC-9-8-NM-MT-WHITE-PAGES/164645781719?hash=item2655a740d7:g:XSMAAOSwScBgASIP   ($676!)

Same seller, so i guess the great price on the 9.8 evened out the lousy one on the 9.6

9 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

With all these 9.8 crazy buys, 9.6 books really don't look that bad.

There is some sort of wacky mental gymnastics that go into pricing this stuff. These aren't keys. Part of it is so few 9.8s of these books, but it isn't like there are a ton of 9.6ses... but why would there be at those prices? Take a book like Spiderman 361. A copper key (modern?). 9.6ses are around $300 and 9.8s are $900+. Tons of each grade, so not a scarcity issue. Reasonable, semi predictable, 3:1 price ratio. 

CGC does not tell you the likely grade if a book does not pass a pre-screen cut-off, does it? I wouldn't mind getting a grade back for $5 even if it is not verifiable to a purchaser.

5 minutes ago, the blob said:

There is some sort of wacky mental gymnastics that go into pricing this stuff. These aren't keys. Part of it is so few 9.8s of these books, but it isn't like there are a ton of 9.6ses... but why would there be at those prices? Take a book like Spiderman 361. A copper key (modern?). 9.6ses are around $300 and 9.8s are $900+. Tons of each grade, so not a scarcity issue. Reasonable, semi predictable, 3:1 price ratio. 

CGC does not tell you the likely grade if a book does not pass a pre-screen cut-off, does it? I wouldn't mind getting a grade back for $5 even if it is not verifiable to a purchaser.

It doesn't, all you see in the pre-screen is REJECT and color of book WHITE.

image.thumb.png.7ac731b8b295245d51d00e9eefbe7665.png :facepalm:

Yeah 361, tons in 9.6 and 9.8, huge price gap.

The last two cgc 9.8 copies of Aliens #2 that I saw at auction both went for over $700 and one went for over $1200. A cgc 9.6 copy sold on eBay less than 10 days ago for $29.99 (yes, the decimal is in the correct position). I can't say I don't understand this phenomenon cuz I paid $49.99 for my 9.6 copy and would gladly pay 5 bills large for a 9.8 if I could find one.

On 2/9/2021 at 11:48 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

With all these 9.8 crazy buys, 9.6 books really don't look that bad.

You can certainly say that with respect to pretty much any book in CGC 9.8, and even more so when it comes to books that don't have value when graded in CGC 9.4 or below.  (thumbsu

Not sure what this copy would go for in CGC 9.6, but I am willing to bet that it would be a pretty huge drop from the $15K that is sold for back in 2016:  :screwy:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/689571

iro1.5897a.jpg

Then again, I imagine it makes perfect sense to the CGC label collectors even though I am also quite sure that other CGC 9.8 graded copies of this book coming into the marketplace would sadly not reinforce the price of this book, but instead would push the value far below the $15K price that was originally paid for this copy here.  hm  :tonofbricks:

So, I guess it's really a case of to each their own, as long as they are happy with their book.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

13 hours ago, SuperBird said:

Ronin 3-6 in CGC 9.8 are relatively hard to find. It took me years. $600 for a number 4 is high, but I'm not completely shocked. 

Not that shocked either.  Especially in this climate.  

Always thought this book was underappreciated and undervalued.  Those black covers make it damn near impossible for 9.8s too.

Patrick

1 hour ago, followtheleader said:
15 hours ago, SuperBird said:

Ronin 3-6 in CGC 9.8 are relatively hard to find. It took me years. $600 for a number 4 is high, but I'm not completely shocked. 

Not that shocked either.  Especially in this climate.  

Always thought this book was underappreciated and undervalued.  Those black covers make it damn near impossible for 9.8s too.

Have you guys ever considered the possibility that the main reason why these Ronin's are as you say, near "impossible" to find in high grade, is that these books are actually so common (even in high grade) that most collectors would not even consider slabbing them due to their relatively perceived low dollar value?  hm  :p

They are obviously common books, but Ronin 3-5 have been $200 books for years, and 6 has always gone for more than that. Seems like people would be on top of it in this day and age? Note that slabbed Ronin 1s and 2s in 9.8 are very common. 

Edited by SuperBird

On 2/12/2021 at 5:08 AM, lou_fine said:

You can certainly say that with respect to pretty much any book in CGC 9.8, and even more so when it comes to books that don't have value when graded in CGC 9.4 or below.  (thumbsu

Not sure what this copy would go for in CGC 9.6, but I am willing to bet that it would be a pretty huge drop from the $15K that is sold for back in 2016:  :screwy:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/689571

iro1.5897a.jpg

Then again, I imagine it makes perfect sense to the CGC label collectors even though I am also quite sure that other CGC 9.8 graded copies of this book coming into the marketplace would sadly not reinforce the price of this book, but instead would push the value far below the $15K price that was originally paid for this copy here.  hm  :tonofbricks:

So, I guess it's really a case of to each their own, as long as they are happy with their book.  (thumbsu

Samurai Thanos!

On 2/9/2021 at 3:24 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

It doesn't, all you see in the pre-screen is REJECT and color of book WHITE.

image.thumb.png.7ac731b8b295245d51d00e9eefbe7665.png :facepalm:

Yeah 361, tons in 9.6 and 9.8, huge price gap.

But not nearly as huge a ratio as some books. But on others a 9.8 might only be 50% more

4 hours ago, BrooksR said:

Like lou_fine said, Another one where 9.8 is 10x a 9.6...

0BE3CEB5-A7B8-4580-A01C-BEF51F36E541.thumb.png.be7049d58af1a5c570e3548471e09430.png

Any idea what the most recent copy sold for on CL back in May of 2020 as that would most definitely be a big fall from grace when it first sold for $15K in a CC Event Auction back in December of 2016.  :tonofbricks: