• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you guys think Submariner 1 has potential to be a big key?
2 2

43 posts in this topic

I ask because I see this being spoken and I just don't get it. Sure, it's a "number 1 issue" but not only did the character appear in quite a few other silver age books before getting his own series, he's been around since the Golden age. And it being a later silver age title means there are a bunch of it around. Not sure how down the line this is in the pecking order of what gets hot when people want more Submariner. 

So I'm asking you. What do you think?

For those into the 1968 "#1's", it has some collecting value along with those completing the title. With over 3,300 slabbed copies (including 67 in 9.8 and 151 in 9.6) its not a hard book to find as you mention.

IMHO, I don't see it being the hot SA book for Subby compared to FF4.

-bc

I think it has something to with the MCU, but I don't follow that.  If that's the case, it could be logical that people will only remember "Sub-Mariner", and look for the "first issue".  Which is not really #1, but they won't get that.  So there will be pressure on that book, deserved or not.

35 minutes ago, bc said:

For those into the 1968 "#1's", it has some collecting value along with those completing the title. With over 3,300 slabbed copies (including 67 in 9.8 and 151 in 9.6) its not a hard book to find as you mention.

-bc

Alright, thanks. It's what I thought. Although I didn't know that there was a thing with 1968 "#1"s. 
On a slightly similar note, do you think FF 6 will recede to the camp where "if you aint first, you're nothing"? It' the second appearance of both Doom and SA Namor but it never seems to be talked about.

Edited by William-James88

2 hours ago, bc said:

-bc

With the run-up in Marvel SA keys, i agree that FF4 is the key-key for Sub-Mariner.  (If you can't afford Marvel Comics #1 or Sub-Mariner Comics #1.)  I think FF4 has tons of room to grow.

In 1968 Marvel released a bunch of new titles for existing characters. Iron Man, Silver Surfer, Subby.... And there are people who collect those. And honestly, I don't blame them. There are a ton of great stories in those runs. 

In any event, I never considered Submariner 1 to be a big key. I also never considered Iron Man #1 to be a big key. It doesn't feel like long ago that you could find both books in descent shape for under $100 at every con. Pretty common books. 

I'm sure it has some room to grow, but FF4 is the SA Subby to own. 

Iron Man 1 used to be quite affordable. In the mid-90s I would pick up mid grade decent copies for under $50 (like FF 48). So, if Submariner becomes a big deal you could see that trajectory, but even if Keanu plays him I am just not seeing it. Iron Man was a B+ tier character for a long time, but Subby had bounced around from C+ to D+ tier, I'm not sure he was ever B tier, maybe for a minute in the 90s when Byrne or Jae Lee was doing the art, but even then...

ditto everyone else who posted here.

i will say i am quite bullish on silver surfer 1 from the same period. also not a first appearance but a key book nonetheless for a much more proven and popular character. 

subby1 will probably increase over time but not like ff4. 

43 minutes ago, D84 said:

To be fair, Aquaman went from a joke to $1,000,000,000 at the box office, so who knows about Submariner.

Since he's a golden age character with a bunch of appearances before Submariner 1, there are better books to get.

Sub-Mariner is waaay more bad-ash than Aquaman.  Also, Sub-Mariner would beat up Aquaman in hand-to-hand combat.  Underwater and on the surface. 

10 minutes ago, zosocane said:

Sub-Mariner is waaay more bad-ash than Aquaman.  Also, Sub-Mariner would beat up Aquaman in hand-to-hand combat.  Underwater and on the surface. 

yeah, but subbie has always been on the periphery whereas aquaman hangs out with the big boys. and if mamoa had not played him the movie probably would have done diddly.

I think we all need to know our history a bit more for this one.  I'm not surprised by Sub-Mariner #1's current valuation and apparent trajectory.  It has a lot to do with Marvel's legacy from the Golden Age, including Captain America.  Both were stars of the Golden Age  (Captain America was the most popular of Timely's super-heroes).  After the boys came home from WWII, both characters struggled to find their place in the minds of readers.  Sub-Mariner Comics was cancelled with issue #42 (June 1949) and Captain America Comics, by then Captain America's Weird Tales, with isue #75 (Feb. 1950).  A subsequent attempt to revive Captain America's popularity in 1953 failed.  This may explain why Marvel took its time to reintroduce Cap, and decided first to experiment with the reintroduction of the Sub-Mariner in 1962.  That experiment was a success!    And so in early 1968, "Captain America Live[d] Again!" in Avengers #4, and not surprisingly, Sub-Mariner #1 followed soon thereafter.  Yes, Sub-Mariner #1 is a key because of its great story, great cover, and the fact that few heroes in the Marvel universe are more regal than Namor.  But it is also important because it reflected the successful reintroduction by Marvel of yet another heavyweight from its Golden Age legacy, so much so that he got his own titled series.  So much like why Avengers #4 is a very important key, a lot of that also applies to Sub-Mariner #1.  

And come on.  It says "Big Premiere Issue!" right on the cover, too.  :flipbait:

Edited by Pantodude

6 hours ago, William-James88 said:

I ask because I see this being spoken and I just don't get it. Sure, it's a "number 1 issue" but not only did the character appear in quite a few other silver age books before getting his own series, he's been around since the Golden age. And it being a later silver age title means there are a bunch of it around. Not sure how down the line this is in the pecking order of what gets hot when people want more Submariner. 

So I'm asking you. What do you think?

No doubt that FF #4 is the Submariner book to own. However, where does Tales to Astonish #70 rank? That was his first ongoing series in the Silver Age.

Is it a cool looking book? Sure!

Would I pay $100 for a solid higher mid grade copy? Sure!

is it likely getting unwarranted hype because of unknowledgeable collectors? Sure!

Are the movies driving this book higher than it should be? Sure!

Would I rather own FF4 or even FF6 (the former I don’t but the latter I do)? Sure!

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

Is it a cool looking book? Sure!

Would I pay $100 for a solid higher mid grade copy? Sure!

is it likely getting unwarranted hype because of unknowledgeable collectors? Sure!

Are the movies driving this book higher than it should be? Sure!

Would I rather own FF4 or even FF6 (the former I don’t but the latter I do)? Sure!

I own the later as well. But that's because Doom is my favourite character and I wanted his early appearances.

I am biased in that Sub-Mariner is my favorite Marvel character and have luckily picked up his early Marvel appearances (Avengers 3, 4, FF 4, 6, 9, Iron Man and Sub-Mariner 1, Sub-Mariner 1, etc.) but I don't believe that Sub-Mariner #1 will reach heights of X-Men 1, Avengers 1 or even Daredevil 1. Hopefully he will join the MCU shortly and look forward to that which should result in a spike in value and interest.