• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO's THE LAST OF US starring Pedro Pascal (2023)
4 4

274 posts in this topic

EXCLUSIVE: In one of the biggest TV castings of the year, The Mandalorian star Pedro Pascal is set to headline The Last Of Us, HBO’s high-profile series adaptation of the Sony Playstation franchise from Chernobyl creator Craig Mazin and Neil Druckmann.

Based on the critically acclaimed video game The Last of Us, developed by Naughty Dog exclusively for the PlayStation platforms, the story takes place twenty years after modern civilization has been destroyed. Joel (Pascal), a hardened survivor, is hired to smuggle Ellie (Game of Thrones‘ Bella Ramsey), a 14-year-old girl, out of an oppressive quarantine zone. What starts as a small job soon becomes a brutal, heartbreaking journey, as they both must traverse across the U.S. and depend on each other for survival.

Pascal’s Joel, tormented by past trauma and failure, must trek across a pandemic-ravaged America, all the while protecting a girl who represents the last hope of humanity.

This marks a homecoming for Pascal who became a household name with his role as Oberyn Martell on HBO’s mega hit Game Of Thrones. 

Pascal currently stars in Disney+’s hugely popular and acclaimed series The Mandalorian, which recently received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Drama Series. He will continue on the Star Wars series, where he is used sparingly because of the nature of his character, though The Last Of Us has him in first position.

The actor recently became available for a new series, attracting multiple big offers from top premium networks and streamers, opting to do The Last Of Us.

Pascal is coming off starring as the villain, Max Lord, in Wonder Woman 1984. The Narcos and Kingsman: The Golden Circle star is currently in production on Judd Apatow’s The Bubble for Netflix. He is repped by WME, Anonymous Content and Jackoway Austen Tyerman.

Kantemir Balagov is directing the pilot episode of The Last Of Us, a co-production with with Sony Pictures Television. PlayStation Productions, Word Games, The Mighty Mint, and Naughty Dog.

Druckmann and Mazin write and executive produce; Carolyn Strauss (Game of Thrones, Chernobyl) also executive produces along with Naughty Dog president Evan Wells alongside Asad Qizilbash and Carter Swan of PlayStation Productions

Ramsey is best known for her role as Lyanna Mormont in fellow HBO series “Game of Thrones.” The character Ellie is a 14-year old orphan who has never known anything but a ravaged planet. In the show, she struggles to balance her instinct for anger and defiance with her need for connection and belonging as well as the newfound reality that she may be the key to saving the world.

“The Last of Us” series was first announced as being in development at the premium cabler back in March, with the show landing a formal series order in November. Based on the video game of the same name, the series takes place twenty years after modern civilization has been destroyed. Joel, a hardened survivor, is hired to smuggle Ellie out of an oppressive quarantine zone. What starts as a small job soon becomes a brutal, heartbreaking journey, as they both must traverse across the U.S. and depend on each other for survival.

Edited by Bosco685

On 10/7/2021 at 11:43 AM, kimik said:

Awesome. The show is being filmed here in Edmonton. Here are a couple of articles with some recent set pics:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8249333/edmonton-filming-hbo-series/

https://curiocity.com/hbos-the-last-of-us-is-filming-in-edmonton-the-set-photos-are-insane-photos/

Saw it on global last night, was surprised 

On 10/7/2021 at 2:28 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Saw it on global last night, was surprised 

I am tempted to go to check out some of the sets. I wonder if the shooting on Rice Howard Way means that Craft Beerhouse is closed to the public. :censored:

On 10/7/2021 at 11:04 PM, kimik said:

I am tempted to go to check out some of the sets. I wonder if the shooting on Rice Howard Way means that Craft Beerhouse is closed to the public. :censored:

Could be worse, could be on Whyte Ave

Though, that's probably too post apocalyptic for them 

I had expected to replay Last of Us quite a bit to get all the achievements,  but I just couldn't get into after the first playthrough

Haven't even bothered with the sequel yet. I think I've got it free from PS Plus. Get around to it eventually I suppose

Diego Luna visited Saddle City Comics in Calgary one day while filming there last year. The owners said he was great to talk with and he graciously agreed to do a signing for their customers a couple of weeks later. :applause:

Edited by kimik

On 6/19/2022 at 1:09 PM, The Meta said:

I had expected to replay Last of Us quite a bit to get all the achievements,  but I just couldn't get into after the first playthrough

Haven't even bothered with the sequel yet. I think I've got it free from PS Plus. Get around to it eventually I suppose

Good game, but a slow one, with a lot of searching around for and careful use of scarce post-apocalyptic resources. Basically The Walking Dead with fungus zombies.   Sure the famous set piece with the giraffes will appear.  Not sure how the pacing would translate to live action.  Likewise, I never bothered playing the sequel.

On 2/16/2021 at 12:31 AM, Old_Man_Adam said:

No way ! Pedro is everywhere and must have the best agent in Hollywood!  however ... his beard growing ability is sub par 

very excited about this though 

Ditto

On 2/15/2021 at 6:31 PM, Old_Man_Adam said:

No way ! Pedro is everywhere and must have the best agent in Hollywood!  however ... his beard growing ability is sub par 

very excited about this though 

His agent must be amazing because he's not that good. Don't get me wrong, he's not terrible (except WW84, where he sucked like a White House intern) but overwhelming mediocre.