• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO's THE LAST OF US starring Pedro Pascal (2023)
4 4

274 posts in this topic

On 1/24/2023 at 11:49 AM, davidpg said:

Great episode...first show in a while I'll make the time to continue watching.

Was wondering, for the peeps who played the video game, were the blind zombies in the building a cool/important thing taken from the game?  Was that something game fans would have been waiting to see?

Not a previous gamer with this one.

But if you check out the after episode (making of), the show creators share how they brought the game designers to review the makeup and performances. The game lead mentions how blown away they were.

:banana:

On 1/24/2023 at 4:49 PM, davidpg said:

Was wondering, for the peeps who played the video game, were the blind zombies in the building a cool/important thing taken from the game?  Was that something game fans would have been waiting to see?

Clickers had to be in. A key, very tense encounter in the game. Also helps to differentiate a bit from your typical zombies.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 1/17/2023 at 6:31 PM, s-man said:

Like most everyone here, I enjoyed the first episode.  Really liked the two lead actors ever since they were in GoT. 

Hide contents

When I saw the guy-turned-fungi stuck to the wall I immediately thought of Pirates of the Carribean, except there's no Davey Jones in this.

Just started the series, episode 1 down. 

Tense. Well-acted and produced. I knew NOTHING about the game but a few things happening were predictable. Still a very cool show, good acting and story. Will definitely stay on this series. 

Spoiler

The wall-sticker immediately reminded me of "Annihilation": 

MV5BODNmYTVlMjUtMGQzOC00N2QxLWFhMzAtODA4MjczYWY4ZTFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_.jpg

On 1/31/2023 at 7:34 AM, Transplant said:

An unbelievably wonderful and touching Ep3.  This series might turn out to be the best videogame adaptation ever.  

Or possibly the worst, depending on what you are looking for. I was hoping for more focus on the two main characters, more zombies and more action instead of a daytime soap.   

Edited by Flanders82

On 1/31/2023 at 10:34 AM, Transplant said:

An unbelievably wonderful and touching Ep3.  This series might turn out to be the best videogame adaptation ever.  

On 1/31/2023 at 11:57 AM, Artboy99 said:

I thought it was a very good episode as well.

I feel the same way 

Ep 3 was a very emotional and character-driven story that I did not expect. The two characters going out together was a nice touch.

On 1/31/2023 at 6:31 PM, Flanders82 said:

Or possibly the worst, depending on what you are looking for. I was hoping for more focus on the two main characters, more zombies and more action instead of a daytime soap.   

It was unbalanced and seemed like a shoe-horned go-nowhere sub-plot. I prefer good stories and characters to nonstop onslaught of zombies, but I also agree that taking an entire episode out to introduce two new characters (who happen to be gay) develop their relationship over the years, then just snuff them out is... unbalanced. Ah well, ya' can't please everybody. Looking forward to the next episode. 

There was only one thing that bugged me about this episode. You have this survivalist who we see makes a massive effort to secure and fortify his homestead however when the crappola hits the fan and the raiders attack what does this well-prepared survivalist do? Why, he runs right out into the middle of the street with zero cover! And gets shot.  doh!

On 2/2/2023 at 12:30 AM, jcjames said:

It was unbalanced and seemed like a shoe-horned go-nowhere sub-plot. I prefer good stories and characters to nonstop onslaught of zombies, but I also agree that taking an entire episode out to introduce two new characters (who happen to be gay) develop their relationship over the years, then just snuff them out is... unbalanced. Ah well, ya' can't please everybody. Looking forward to the next episode. 

I’m enjoying this series so far and I liked this episode too. I know nothing of the video game but a coworker who does explained that Bill is a character from the game who provides them with his truck. According to my coworker, the beginning and end of this episode follow the game storyline. The middle story gave a tale devoted to Bill’s backstory that is only hinted at in the video game and explains how they ended up with his truck.

Edited by Jayman

On 2/2/2023 at 5:48 AM, bentbryan said:

There was only one thing that bugged me about this episode. You have this survivalist who we see makes a massive effort to secure and fortify his homestead however when the crappola hits the fan and the raiders attack what does this well-prepared survivalist do? Why, he runs right out into the middle of the street with zero cover! And gets shot.  doh!

At this point, he wasn't so much concerned about himself as he was concerned about protecting the one he loved. (shrug)

I enjoyed the episode as well.  After the two first met and he was welcomed into the house, I was trying to figure out whether they were going to make out of if Bill was gonna have his head smashed in by surprise while he was playing piano.

On 2/2/2023 at 12:22 PM, davidpg said:

I enjoyed the episode as well.  After the two first met and he was welcomed into the house, I was trying to figure out whether they were going to make out of if Bill was gonna have his head smashed in by surprise while he was playing piano.

Have to admit, I was thinking the same thing! The camera was zoomed in real close and he wasn’t paying attention to his new guest. I was waiting for the hammer to swing! :whatthe:

On 2/2/2023 at 12:30 PM, Jayman said:

Have to admit, I was thinking the same thing! The camera was zoomed in real close and he wasn’t paying attention to his new guest. I was waiting for the hammer to swing! :whatthe:

Exactly!  Or a vase, bottle of wine even.  It was really unclear how it was gonna go (on purpose I believe, and extremely well done!).

I have not watched episode 3 yet, and have not played the game.  I liked not loved the first two episodes of the show, and I figured out why.  It has nothing to do with the writing, filming, acting, etc.  All of that seems fine.   I guess I am just a little bit tired of the whole post apocalyptic zombie thing.  I need the show to prove it can bring something truly new to this genre, to see if it elevates itself long term. Or is it just a slightly new take in a rather tired space.