• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating Top City Comics
12 12

891 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

What does that have to do with any of this?

@Polonsky while I appreciate the detailed account, it’s quite a bit to sift through.  I’m sure other’s will chime in, but I think for a nomination to go forward you might have to boil this down to it’s bare-bones - what he would need to do to make things right to avoid nomination. 

While I understand your frustration with the repeated delays, I get the impression (I could be wrong) that you perhaps should have been more clear and firm about your expectations on minimum grade, deadlines, etc.  That probably would have avoided a lot of back-and-forth  

Asking for for the books to be shipped the same day you put a check in the mail - before he get’s the check and has time to cash it - is a pretty big ask.  Wanting to cancel the deal when the seller was still willing to send the books and there doesn’t seem to be clear communication that shipping the books by a certain date was a make-or-break part of the deal before it was consummated, instead more of a “favor” is probably going to complicate this. 

If I understand correctly, some or all of the books were initially for your client (sorry, I lost track) but if I’m reading this right these are books that you would also be ok with personally owning. 

Sorry if I got some of this wrong, again, it’s a lot to sort through. 

Honestly, if what you presented of his current financial situation is correct, it’s seems you’d be more likely to get the books far sooner than the refund on your payment. 

If your ok with still having the books, perhaps setting a drop-dead deadline for when they need to be shipped is the way forward. 

I appreciate the response and questions. I do apologize for such a long story. I will be happy to clarify any questions and details.

At this point I do not see a way to not nominate him. My nomination is based solely on his message to me in which he called me several names, and accused me of asking him to do some work. I do see several other red flags from our dealings, and I would like other people to be aware of them, even if not nominated. I am not here to ruin careers or cause drama. I do not want to be here. I am aware I am putting myself in a position to debate with people who either are my friends, or I would like to be my friends and clients in the future. I would prefer to let this blow over without ever have posted here, and get my refund down the road. His response so beyond unprofessional in my eyes, and I am here to nominate him to avoid this happening to someone else down the road. The only way to keep this community great, is to keep this community great.

I do agree I could have been more specific on what I was looking for, but I also think part of the issue is everything I was offered was just a title with no grade. A grade could have saved some time. He is a dealer but has no available list of what he has, and after each time I was offered several comics, 2 days later it was several more.

I do agree 100% that asking to ship the books the same day is a favor. He did not even have to say yes, and it would have been find. He did say yes, and I would not be here to nominate him for not doing so. I canceled because he held the check for about two weeks before depositing it. I find a large gap in communication between agreeing to ship the same day, and shipping. He told me he would ship the next day knowing that he had no method to do so with no shipping boxes. I do not think he should be engaging in deals if he can't ship items. He reached out to me. He didn't tell me he had no shipping boxes. He didn't tell me he would need to wait 2 weeks to get a ride to a bank. I found all his communication very poor. 

I was purchasing these for a client, but also was choosing books I would not mind owning as I suspected he was not very committed.

I have no interest in receiving these books or any other books from him ever. This experience was terrible. Now he is calling me all sorts of names. I do not care if he get nominated or not, but I did have to share my experience. I do not feel it is right that I should have to purchase these books, but I will be open to the quickest resolution possible as more opinions come in. 

30 minutes ago, Top City Comics said:

I literally tried to ship his books out the SAME DAY I deposited his check...I didn't even wait for it to clear...he wrote his address illegibly & I couldn't decipher it...I asked for his address & he decided that day to demand a refund...I have since begged him to let me ship the books out, even going so far as to offer to add a bonus book or 2 for not having them out sooner...and he had literally refused to give me his actual verified address until just Wednesday of this week (I read it yesterday)...so I'm not exactly sure how I was supposed to mail him any book OR a check up to this point... lollollol

I don't find anything funny here. In the three weeks of communication you never bothered to get my address, or get anything ready. You wait two weeks, and then on day of shipping decide you can't read my envelope I sent you two weeks earlier. Everything is an excuse. Everything makes me a clown. There is no chance I would pay for these books. I do hope people can see through your nonsense and room full of excuses as I have. 

32 minutes ago, Red84 said:

@Polonsky While I understand your frustration according to your side of the story; however, I have not seen a reason for you to ask for a refund. While these books may have been intended to go to your own customer, that is not relevant to your transaction. I would suggest that you agree to accept the books and move on to the next transaction.

I do agree the client part is mostly irrelevant. I was still on board with buying these books several weeks after I had told Adrian the client had left.

13 minutes ago, Polonsky said:

I appreciate the response and questions. I do apologize for such a long story. I will be happy to clarify any questions and details.

At this point I do not see a way to not nominate him. My nomination is based solely on his message to me in which he called me several names, and accused me of asking him to do some work. I do see several other red flags from our dealings, and I would like other people to be aware of them, even if not nominated. I am not here to ruin careers or cause drama. I do not want to be here. I am aware I am putting myself in a position to debate with people who either are my friends, or I would like to be my friends and clients in the future. I would prefer to let this blow over without ever have posted here, and get my refund down the road. His response so beyond unprofessional in my eyes, and I am here to nominate him to avoid this happening to someone else down the road. The only way to keep this community great, is to keep this community great.

I do agree I could have been more specific on what I was looking for, but I also think part of the issue is everything I was offered was just a title with no grade. A grade could have saved some time. He is a dealer but has no available list of what he has, and after each time I was offered several comics, 2 days later it was several more.

I do agree 100% that asking to ship the books the same day is a favor. He did not even have to say yes, and it would have been find. He did say yes, and I would not be here to nominate him for not doing so. I canceled because he held the check for about two weeks before depositing it. I find a large gap in communication between agreeing to ship the same day, and shipping. He told me he would ship the next day knowing that he had no method to do so with no shipping boxes. I do not think he should be engaging in deals if he can't ship items. He reached out to me. He didn't tell me he had no shipping boxes. He didn't tell me he would need to wait 2 weeks to get a ride to a bank. I found all his communication very poor. 

I was purchasing these for a client, but also was choosing books I would not mind owning as I suspected he was not very committed.

I have no interest in receiving these books or any other books from him ever. This experience was terrible. Now he is calling me all sorts of names. I do not care if he get nominated or not, but I did have to share my experience. I do not feel it is right that I should have to purchase these books, but I will be open to the quickest resolution possible as more opinions come in. 

I'm sorry that the transaction did not go as you had planned, but I think you are in the wrong to not accept shipment of the books if Top City agrees to ship them this week. Like I said before, the fact that you had intended to sell these books to someone else is irrelevant to your individual transaction with @Top City Comics 

As you have stated twice now you purchased the books with the understanding that you'd be happy with them even if your client backed out. Top City has stated he did not have your shipping address until he received the check. Of course I don't know if this is true. 

But you both agreed to a transaction, a certain amount for a group of books. Top City has received your payment and is prepared to ship the books. 

3 minutes ago, Polonsky said:

I only want a refund. I will wait until 3/1 if that can be acceptable.

It is my personal view that you should agree to accept the books as a deal was made.

However, in the interest of resolving this, @Top City Comics are you able to mail a refund by March 1st just to get this over with?

Edited by Red84
typo

1 minute ago, Number 6 said:

@Polonsky I don’t think your idea of “boil down” is the same as mine. 

To be clear:  name-calling is not a basis for a PL nomination.  Seeing “red flags” is not a basis for a PL nomination. Unfulfilled expectations that weren’t clearly communicated to begin with isn’t a basis for a PL nomination. 

What he owes you now is 1) books or 2) a refund...IF he cashed the check. If he hasn’t, then he can mail you the check back. 

Not filling either of those would be a basis for a PL nomination. Everything else is just drama. 

Thank you. I would be happy to keep him off PL if I can receive the refund by an agreed time. I do find it troubling that a reputable dealer can be so snappy and have that go unchecked. I agree PL may be extreame, but it doesn't sit well with me to have it be acceptable.

7 minutes ago, Polonsky said:

Thank you. I would be happy to keep him off PL if I can receive the refund by an agreed time. I do find it troubling that a reputable dealer can be so snappy and have that go unchecked. I agree PL may be extreame, but it doesn't sit well with me to have it be acceptable.

The PL is for transactions where there’s a failure to complete on one end.   There seems to be a possible resolution here so the PL most likely won’t apply. 

As to your other concerns...everybody can read the thread and decide accordingly. 

Edited by Number 6

1 minute ago, wombat said:

I do think the buyer had every right to cancel the transaction. It seems the agreement up front was to ship the books the day the check was mailed. It seems pretty clear the seller had was never going to do that. To me that is breaking the agreement. Having said that, the buyer then allowed this to drag out. That is on him and while he probably had good intentions for doing so, you can't put the cat bag in the bag so to speak. He agreed on a "new" set of rules at that point. 

I will say that cashing the check and then not giving the money back right away when it was cancelled that day if I'm reading things right is about as close to theft as it comes for me. I know that sounds harsh, but no one cares about what money problems a business has. If he did indeed know that deal was cancelled at the same time he was depositing the check that is just wrong. 

Very well said. Ponzi scheme comes to mind. If someone had your money and then went on to say how they are in dire financial straights, you would, understandably, be concerned about getting your money out of the sinking ship.... 

One more comment and we have seen this before. It is 2021. Stop sending checks. Based on what was posted I'm assuming that was the buyer's choice. I certainly wouldn't ask to pay by check and also ask my books to be shipped before the check clears. That doesn't let the seller off the hook for agreeing to send the books and not doing it, but it just makes everything way more complicated than it needed to be. 

14 minutes ago, wombat said:

I do think the buyer had every right to cancel the transaction. It seems the agreement up front was to ship the books the day the check was mailed. It seems pretty clear the seller had was never going to do that. To me that is breaking the agreement. Having said that, the buyer then allowed this to drag out. That is on him and while he probably had good intentions for doing so, you can't put the cat bag in the bag so to speak. He agreed on a "new" set of rules at that point. 

I will say that cashing the check and then not giving the money back right away when it was cancelled that day if I'm reading things right is about as close to theft as it comes for me. I know that sounds harsh, but no one cares about what money problems a business has. If he did indeed know that deal was cancelled at the same time he was depositing the check that is just wrong. 

The check had already been deposited that day...he messaged me about cancelling at almost midnight AT THE END of that same day...if I had gotten his message beforehand I obviously WOULDN'T HAVE DEPOSITED HIS CHECK.

13 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

Very well said. Ponzi scheme comes to mind. If someone had your money and then went on to say how they are in dire financial straights, you would, understandably, be concerned about getting your money out of the sinking ship.... 

I tried to ship the books the same day I deposited the check...I didn't have his address...he refused to complete the transaction after that & refused to give me his address...HOW THE HELL WAS I SUPPOSED TO SEND THE BOOKS OR A CHECK EVEN IF I WANTED TO?????

28 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

PL aside, who wouldn't be upset if one 'owed' another money, the refund, yet was transacting left and right, presumably with the other's money sans interest, as has been said. If that is true or not is another issue, but I can say with certainty that I would be mad if someone did that to me. 

Again, not PL worthy, but mental note worthy as I find that alarming strictly on a character basis. 

AGAIN...HE NEVER GAVE ME HIS ADDRESS UNTIL 3 DAYS AGO...AND HOW I PROCURE BOOKS VIA TRADE OR USE MY CREDIT CARDS IS MY BUSINESS...NOT HIS...NOT YOURS...NOT ANYONE'S.

3 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

Then have you issued a cheque? Your reply in his posted messages states that you do not have the money to refund him. This means you cashed his cheque and spent his money. That is his business....

Yes, the money was spent before it was deposited...on other books, lol

Wasn't planning on him pulling the rug out from under me like this...and I'm pretty sure "not being able to sell them to the guy you were buying them for" isn't actually a cause for demanding a refund....nor is it credible for PL nominations...

And again...if I had written him a check where would I mail it to?  He refused to give me his address as part of "the protest" he was staging.